The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whg
Dear all,

I'm really in need of a part time job at Waitrose particularly because of its suitable location, near my college. I was wondering even if there are no jobs on their website is there possible vacancies if I ask at the store?

nope all vacancies are advertised online
I feel like quitting so bad...but the thought of saving for uni keeps me going :frown:
Original post by Tsunami2011
I feel like quitting so bad...but the thought of saving for uni keeps me going :frown:

Know the feeling :frown:
Original post by nooneyouknow
Know the feeling :frown:

Thought it was just me:s-smilie: Not sure If I can handle working all through summer really
Thought it was just me:s-smilie: Not sure If I can handle working all through summer really

Definitely not just you. I was thinking of quitting after bonus if it was enough money for uni but my parents really want me to stay on and I think I'd like to have a bit more money for uni. Summer is just going to be awful :frown:
Definitely not just you. I was thinking of quitting after bonus if it was enough money for uni but my parents really want me to stay on and I think I'd like to have a bit more money for uni. Summer is just going to be awful :frown:

Almost identical to how I feel:smile: Really hoping that I can get some work exp in a law firm for uni, even if its unpaid.. What section do you work on? I work on Checkouts, and really think it's the WORST role to have, since you've got to put up with the snooty customers and well talking for 6 hours straight is part of the job description.
(edited 12 years ago)
Almost identical to how I feel:smile: Really hoping that I can get some work exp in a law firm for uni, even if its unpaid.. What section do you work on? I work on Checkouts, and really think it's the WORST role to have, since you've got to put up with the snooty customers and well talking for 6 hours straight is part of the job description.

Are you me? lol I'm on Ambient but I'm frequently shuffled over to Checkouts and Fresh because the other sections are so understaffed and the won't hire anyone new which hacks me off as it's always me or this other girl. Ambient is pretty dreadful too I mean we've gotta finish off the delivery whilst helping other sections and if we don't finish it and get everything faced up and have the shop floor clean of rubbish we have to stay late until it's done even if it's not our rubbish. The same thing happens on checkouts I imagine I'm always late whenever I'm on the checkouts because of supervisors forgetting to take me off and stupid customers ignoring the closing sign and putting their massive load on the belt :mad:
Sorry for the rant :colondollar:
Are you me? lol I'm on Ambient but I'm frequently shuffled over to Checkouts and Fresh because the other sections are so understaffed and the won't hire anyone new which hacks me off as it's always me or this other girl. Ambient is pretty dreadful too I mean we've gotta finish off the delivery whilst helping other sections and if we don't finish it and get everything faced up and have the shop floor clean of rubbish we have to stay late until it's done even if it's not our rubbish. The same thing happens on checkouts I imagine I'm always late whenever I'm on the checkouts because of supervisors forgetting to take me off and stupid customers ignoring the closing sign and putting their massive load on the belt :mad:
Sorry for the rant :colondollar:

haha, did you apply for law aswell? Yeah that always happens at my store aswell, It just seems more active than checkouts, which probably would suck once the novelty wore off. Thats possibly the worst thing about checkouts, when people come in at the last minute and have a full shop despite my shift officially being over.. the fact that I finish at closing means that I'm typically 5 or 10 minutes late to finish. By that time, I cannot even plaster on a fake smile.:s-smilie:

Speaking of Waitrose, I have a shift starting in an hour:redface:
haha, did you apply for law aswell? Yeah that always happens at my store aswell, It just seems more active than checkouts, which probably would suck once the novelty wore off. Thats possibly the worst thing about checkouts, when people come in at the last minute and have a full shop despite my shift officially being over.. the fact that I finish at closing means that I'm typically 5 or 10 minutes late to finish. By that time, I cannot even plaster on a fake smile.:s-smilie:

Speaking of Waitrose, I have a shift starting in an hour:redface:

Yep future law student as soon as I figure out which uni to firm haha! That always annoys me I was doing checkout overtime once and literally a minute before I had to leave this couple came along with a massie shop then got asked me to slow down! I just lose the will with these people sometimes. It's worst on Ambient when I do my friday shift as it ends at 10:45pm but we won't get out till 11 most of the time.
Good Luck to you! The only thing that makes my day better is that I can have a chat with co-workers which you don't get on checkouts :frown:
Yep future law student as soon as I figure out which uni to firm haha! That always annoys me I was doing checkout overtime once and literally a minute before I had to leave this couple came along with a massie shop then got asked me to slow down! I just lose the will with these people sometimes. It's worst on Ambient when I do my friday shift as it ends at 10:45pm but we won't get out till 11 most of the time.
Good Luck to you! The only thing that makes my day better is that I can have a chat with co-workers which you don't get on checkouts :frown:

yay for Law!:wink: I'm counting the days down till I can start! Exactly! I see that most people on ambience/counters have friends, but on checkouts, you don't get really get a chance to talk since a supervisor is always watching you like a hawk.

It doesnt help that my store is located in an area, which is largely international.. even the phrase 'Would you like any help packing' often does not ring a bell or cashback..I just give up:s-smilie: I actually prefer checkouts when its busy, since there's less time to get bored. Home deliveries also drive me mad:angry:
yay for Law!:wink: I'm counting the days down till I can start! Exactly! I see that most people on ambience/counters have friends, but on checkouts, you don't get really get a chance to talk since a supervisor is always watching you like a hawk.

It doesnt help that my store is located in an area, which is largely international.. even the phrase 'Would you like any help packing' often does not ring a bell or cashback..I just give up:s-smilie: I actually prefer checkouts when its busy, since there's less time to get bored. Home deliveries also drive me mad:angry:

Me too there's only 5 months left! As soon as results day comes in I'm shoving in my notice! We are lucky to be able to talk to each other although some people on my section are total prats and it's a pain to be around them :mad: plus you guys don't really get to take breaks with each other so you don't get to bond much. The international thing must be annoying we get a couple of people who don't speak English very well and they just ignore me.
Checkouts is nice when I go on a saturday afternoon for an hour as it's busy and I get a sit down but if I'm on the podiums I get so annoyed!
Home deliveries are the worst and I hate perfectly abled customers asking me to pack for them then getting annoyed when I do it wrong!
Ordered my skirt yesterday, went down a size from my too big trousers so hopefully it'll fit :erm:

And I agree with the post above: podium tills are awful! Especially everyone expecting you to pack for them, or being put at the end one so no one can see/hear you shout 'HELLO NEXT PLEASE' :frown:
Reply 5812

What branch do you work at? I dont mind checkouts as I work evenings/weekends so most the people I work with are my age so we all have a laugh. All the supervisors who are full time and in their 30's dont just watch you like a hawk they live waitrose :smile: but young supervisors like me dont stop talking :biggrin:
For those of you are sick and tired of working on Ambient, or Waitrose in general, I know exactly how you feel. I started at a new store, at the same time that I started Uni for the first time and it felt all a bit too much for me, especially when I used to see everyone else doing overtime on my section but I hardly wanted to do any.
But then I got used to it, the constant nagging from my superiors to get the delivery finished off before the end of a busy Sunday doesn't affect me anymore, I just think to myself I'm trying my best, if I cant finish it then I can't finish it, it aint the end of the world.
You have to brush aside the fact that most of your superiors will be prats (well mine are) and have to realise that all the other partners are in the same boat as you.

Also the pay isn't bad, it's something extra to put onto your CV and we get really good benefits.
Original post by itsmyname
For those of you are sick and tired of working on Ambient, or Waitrose in general, I know exactly how you feel. I started at a new store, at the same time that I started Uni for the first time and it felt all a bit too much for me, especially when I used to see everyone else doing overtime on my section but I hardly wanted to do any.
But then I got used to it, the constant nagging from my superiors to get the delivery finished off before the end of a busy Sunday doesn't affect me anymore, I just think to myself I'm trying my best, if I cant finish it then I can't finish it, it aint the end of the world.
You have to brush aside the fact that most of your superiors will be prats (well mine are) and have to realise that all the other partners are in the same boat as you.

Also the pay isn't bad, it's something extra to put onto your CV and we get really good benefits.

Part of the problem for me is that 98% of the time we're not managed by our supervisors but by 'Team Leaders' who are best friends with some members of our team so gives them permission to tell us what to do and to hurry up and things even though they should be helping us instead telling us what to do.
I mean I'm grateful to have the job I know it could be way worse and the benefits are grate but it's nice to have a moan to people that understand lol.
Part of the problem for me is that 98% of the time we're not managed by our supervisors but by 'Team Leaders' who are best friends with some members of our team so gives them permission to tell us what to do and to hurry up and things even though they should be helping us instead telling us what to do.
I mean I'm grateful to have the job I know it could be way worse and the benefits are grate but it's nice to have a moan to people that understand lol.

I know what you mean regarding the team leaders. Favouritism is rife too in our branch, as well as information not being passed down to us *cough* holiday entitlements *cough*, they can boss you about all they like, just try your best and dont get stressed out too easily. I used to let it get to me and it affected my personal life even though I was just part time, but then I realised that they can't fire me for not finishing off the load, the worst they can do is moan at you, or not give you a small pay rise.
Reply 5816

Ha you realise that 'Team Leaders' rank above supervisors right? They're just below ASMs.
Original post by ljay09
Ha you realise that 'Team Leaders' rank above supervisors right? They're just below ASMs.

We don't have supervisors in Ambient in our branch therefore in my head supervisor = ASM/SM as in most businesses they usually rank above Team Leaders. Sorry for the confusion I didn't realise that some branches have supervisors in Ambient.
Original post by Elvendork
Ordered my skirt yesterday, went down a size from my too big trousers so hopefully it'll fit :erm:

And I agree with the post above: podium tills are awful! Especially everyone expecting you to pack for them, or being put at the end one so no one can see/hear you shout 'HELLO NEXT PLEASE' :frown:

It's a BOP requirement to pack for customers on the podia tills so they can prepare their payment! Really annoying though as there's not much space on the tills - at least not in my branch - and customers put their handbags and stuff down :/
Original post by ljay09

There are no supervisors for ambient.

It goes Team Leaders > ASM > SM > DM