The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Halls or Housing?

I'm starting Plymouth Uni in Sept, i'll be 21 when I start.

In your own personal opinion, where is the best place to live for you?

Would you recommend housing or halls?

Can you smoke in the halls?

And I was at Hertfordshire Uni on the weekend (which sucks balls in terms of a fun place to live as Hertfordshire is soo damn boring - I live here) and the halls security shut down a party for a friends birthday at Half 11. I can't be doing with that, plus they have 2 showers and 2 toilets between about 40 people, I think 1 shower and toilet between 8 is the limit really.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ohh and why????????????
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm going to try get into halls just because it will be cool to live with loads of students. Plus it's only for the first year you can live there so why not experience it? And if i don't get in then it's not the end of the world i'll just go to the find a house event things they do!
If they hadn't shut down the party then the police would have, there are always arsey people who won't let anyone have fun. Just have pre-drinks til 11 then take the party to the clubs, then after back to the flat :P haha.
Reply 3
and they said at the open day you can smoke in your bedroom :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xkloii
I'm going to try get into halls just because it will be cool to live with loads of students. Plus it's only for the first year you can live there so why not experience it? And if i don't get in then it's not the end of the world i'll just go to the find a house event things they do!
If they hadn't shut down the party then the police would have, there are always arsey people who won't let anyone have fun. Just have pre-drinks til 11 then take the party to the clubs, then after back to the flat :P haha.

Yeah that's very true and I can't imagine many uni's are like Hertfordshire. The place looked like something out of a Nazi propaganda film, the whole thing is secluded (kinda) and fenced off from anyone who isn't a student at the uni!
Reply 5
Haha I've had a friend who has been to look at Hertz but she said exactly the same thing!! I haven't really looked at it so i wouldn't know, its far too close to where I live!
Plymouth is definately a good shout ha :smile: I put it as my firm and declined everywhere else because I thought it was amazing when i went down there, and plymouth was my lowest offer so it's worked out well ha!
And the whole point of going to uni is to make a new life and have a great social one too so why people go to places like hertz i don't know!!
Reply 6
Original post by xkloii
Haha I've had a friend who has been to look at Hertz but she said exactly the same thing!! I haven't really looked at it so i wouldn't know, its far too close to where I live!
Plymouth is definately a good shout ha :smile: I put it as my firm and declined everywhere else because I thought it was amazing when i went down there, and plymouth was my lowest offer so it's worked out well ha!
And the whole point of going to uni is to make a new life and have a great social one too so why people go to places like hertz i don't know!!

Yeah it's a weird place.. I live in Herts so there's no chance I'm going there.
I've done pretty much the same as you, as I'm doing a foundation year Plymouth is my lowest offer too. What you studying? and where you from?
Reply 7
On the website it says only 60% of first years manage to get into Halls, that is quite a lot of students being forced to find houses. I myself am moving in with a friend and his housemates in September (he started last year) for the comfort factor, i'm perfectly fine with my ability to make friends so that isnt scaring me!
Reply 8
Original post by pizzle223
Yeah it's a weird place.. I live in Herts so there's no chance I'm going there.
I've done pretty much the same as you, as I'm doing a foundation year Plymouth is my lowest offer too. What you studying? and where you from?

I'm from Aylesbury in bucks, so not that far, what about you? hopefully will be studying business studies :smile: yourself?
Reply 9
Original post by xkloii
I'm from Aylesbury in bucks, so not that far, what about you? hopefully will be studying business studies :smile: yourself?

I live in sawbridgeworth, on the Herts/Essex boarder. And I'm doin civil engineering!
Good luck with ya grades, I'm sure you'll get in!
Reply 10
Original post by pizzle223
I live in sawbridgeworth, on the Herts/Essex boarder. And I'm doin civil engineering!
Good luck with ya grades, I'm sure you'll get in!

ahh thats cool, well good luck to you too :smile:
My friend's in Radnor and she can smoke in her room but I don't think you can smoke in them all.

I'm in private housing because they don't have enough accommodation for first years and it was my insurance choice. This was probably better for me because it's generally quieter. And you don't have to worry too much about mess or noise really because there are no wardens issuing fines like in halls!
Reply 12
If you have the money go for Halls, especially the first year!
Reply 13
I'm going to be studying business in september :smile: If you fancy chatting before we go, add me on skype hichloco , im not really fussy who adds me, it will be nice to chat to people! :smile: and also if i cant get in halls would be nice to meet potential house mates !
Reply 14
Housing all the way for me! Planning to go to a "Find a Home" event....if anyone else is planning to go then it'd be nice to know some people there before I go :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Snape2255
Housing all the way for me! Planning to go to a "Find a Home" event....if anyone else is planning to go then it'd be nice to know some people there before I go :smile:

The find a home thing seems to be for people who couldn't find anywhere before August... I'd also like to look around at houses as soon as possible, although I suppose the accomodation application hasn't opened yet so maybe I'm being impatient (my offer hasn't processed yet, my interview was only the other day).
Halls as you meet people. I thought its illegal to smoke even in your own room, as it isn't your property
Reply 17
Hallsing.

Best of both worlds.
Reply 18
Original post by Lornaan
The find a home thing seems to be for people who couldn't find anywhere before August... I'd also like to look around at houses as soon as possible, although I suppose the accomodation application hasn't opened yet so maybe I'm being impatient (my offer hasn't processed yet, my interview was only the other day).

It's also a way to meet people you could potentially share housing with - I'd rather go to an event and meet potential housemates instead of getting a house months early and getting stuck with people I don't know and would not get along with. I unfortunately only know one other person going to Plymouth and that's only if he gets his grades which I believe is AAB.

I can see the appeal of halls, however private housing seems so much more affordable and would be a nicer place to live. Any idea when the applications of halls will be open? I'm thinking of applying for halls anyway so if I did get in and still wanted to go on the housing path, I could turn the offer down and let someone else have it, but if I didn't get in it wouldn't be a big problem as I'd already be quite happy to live in housing.
Reply 19
Original post by Snape2255
It's also a way to meet people you could potentially share housing with - I'd rather go to an event and meet potential housemates instead of getting a house months early and getting stuck with people I don't know and would not get along with. I unfortunately only know one other person going to Plymouth and that's only if he gets his grades which I believe is AAB.

I can see the appeal of halls, however private housing seems so much more affordable and would be a nicer place to live. Any idea when the applications of halls will be open? I'm thinking of applying for halls anyway so if I did get in and still wanted to go on the housing path, I could turn the offer down and let someone else have it, but if I didn't get in it wouldn't be a big problem as I'd already be quite happy to live in housing.

You act like a few hours of meeting someone you will know them well enough to know what they are like to live with which is very optimistic ha! You won't get to know anyone well enough until you live with them anyway, and atleast in halls you know everyone is a student there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest