The Student Room Group

Changing uni & course after completing 1 year...?

I am starting university in September, and although I'm not 100% keen on the course, I've accepted my place due to wanting to spread my wings and live university life.

I've got doubts about it though..and I feel as though I will want to swap my uni & courses after a year and apply for something I truly want to do (I was unsuccessful this year!) - so what are the consequences of this?

Will UCAS still let me apply if I've attending a university for a year? Also, will Student Finance still support me even if I change uni & course? And what would I recieve for the 1st year of BA Hons Events Management?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!! xxx
Reply 1
My advice would be speaking to student services about this. I'm sure they've had people like this in the past, and they'd know a lot about how student finance works so, try talking to them :P
Reply 2
You will still get funding from student finance, you're allowed 4 years worth of funding.
You can apply through UCAS, there's no limit on the number of times you can use it.
And i'm not sure you'd get anything for doing a year of your course, at most you'd maybe be allowed to go straight into second year at another uni (although not always), but only if you're doing the same course which you said you didn't want to.

Have you considered taking a year out? Working, travelling etc. Maybe resitting a couple of exams if that's the reason you were unsuccessful in applying for what you wanted to do? Seems a more logical option than doing something you don't want to, and also paying all that money for it
Reply 3
Ā£9k is a lot of money to spend on just spreading your wings. I would take a year out and reapply. University can be hard enough when you like your course never mind when you don't.
Reply 4
Original post by Cll_ws
You will still get funding from student finance, you're allowed 4 years worth of funding.
You can apply through UCAS, there's no limit on the number of times you can use it.
And i'm not sure you'd get anything for doing a year of your course, at most you'd maybe be allowed to go straight into second year at another uni (although not always), but only if you're doing the same course which you said you didn't want to.

Have you considered taking a year out? Working, travelling etc. Maybe resitting a couple of exams if that's the reason you were unsuccessful in applying for what you wanted to do? Seems a more logical option than doing something you don't want to, and also paying all that money for it

I'm already a year behind all of my friends due to swapping colleges after 1 year, and I need to move out ASAP due to family problems anyway. I want to do Entertainment/Music Management, which I failed to get into this year, so I've accepted my place at MMU doing Events Management.
Reply 5
What a waste of a university space! It should have gone to someone who actually wanted to do it!
Reply 6
Original post by xtinalouise
I'm already a year behind all of my friends due to swapping colleges after 1 year, and I need to move out ASAP due to family problems anyway. I want to do Entertainment/Music Management, which I failed to get into this year, so I've accepted my place at MMU doing Events Management.

Listen yeah, a year behind is nothing, I should be in my final year of uni right now if I went straight after school, but I didn't want to do that.

There is no point in going to uni this september. I was in the same position as you in 2010. Not going was the best thing I even did. Just go traveling of something if you want to get away from home.

When you begin your career thats it, welcome to the world of work, see you when your 70 and ready to retire. You have so many years on the otherside of the tracks that a few years extra on this side doesn't matter.
Reply 7
As the person above said, 1 year is nothing. What's your rush?
Who cares whether you're behind your friends? They aren't all at one university are they? waiting for you to go and join them?

I started uni a year late as I did an art foundation before I started. There's more people 19+ than there is 18 year olds from what i've seen. And now i've all but decided that i'm going to switch course, perhaps university if I can't switch internally, so will be starting again at 20, or if I have to take a year out to reapply then 21! And after being at university, I know that the fact i'm a couple of years older won't make a difference at all.

If I could of known before I started university in september that I was going to want to change courses before the end of the year, then I wouldn't of gone. I could of saved myself a lot of money, earnt some money, travelled, done some re-sits. Whatever I wanted. Instead all my time was taken up working on a degree that i'm not finishing.
Reply 8
Original post by xtinalouise

Are they reasonable similar courses? As youd be changing after only a year you may find you'd be able to go directly into the second year of Entertainment Management since first year doesn't actually count towards your degree grade anyway. But I don't know anything about these courses so really depends if the modules are similar in any way.

Quick Reply

Latest