The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A - G485: Fields, Particles & Frontiers of Physics - June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Hey, also taking this exam!

Another thanks for making such a useful revision thread! :biggrin:

Really worried about this exam as there is A LOT to learn by simply memorizing stuff...

I think we should start writing some model answers in this thread! (Like most other revision threads in the past...)

I might begin soon, if I have enough time! :frown:

haha, thanks :smile:
yeah, good idea :yep: we can get each person to pick a topic and then share their answers with everyone else. i've still got tons of revision to do :sad:
do you have many other exams?
Original post by magdaplaysbass
haha, thanks :smile:
yeah, good idea :yep: we can get each person to pick a topic and then share their answers with everyone else. i've still got tons of revision to do :sad:
do you have many other exams?

Yes, I do have like 6 other exams... :frown:

I am doing Maths and Further Maths as well...

In fact I also have my first G485 Mock today afternoon at 2PM :eek:
that's unlucky :/
how did the exam go?

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Yes, I do have like 6 other exams... :frown:

I am doing Maths and Further Maths as well...

In fact I also have my first G485 Mock today afternoon at 2PM :eek:

I found a great site with videos and pdf notes on a lot of the topics covered in g485 :smile:
http://www.fizzics.org/Pages/default.aspx
I'll add it to the list but figured I might as well post it here just in case people miss it (the list is getting quite big now :yes:)

also, if anyone has the jan 2012 mark scheme, please share it with the rest of us :h:
This module is really getting on my nerves - wanted to have finished it this week but I'm JUST about to finish diagnostics. Still have Ultrasound and the huuuuge looking chapter on the universe. What's the deal with questions on diagnostics? There are some calculations (Larmor Frequency etc etc) but very few. Do past papers tend to have wordy questions on these?

I will be looking through them soon but just need to get on with it for now. Ugh roll on 3.30 on June 11th :colonhash:
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
This module is really getting on my nerves - wanted to have finished it this week but I'm JUST about to finish diagnostics. Still have Ultrasound and the huuuuge looking chapter on the universe. What's the deal with questions on diagnostics? There are some calculations (Larmor Frequency etc etc) but very few. Do past papers tend to have wordy questions on these?

I will be looking through them soon but just need to get on with it for now. Ugh roll on 3.30 on June 11th :colonhash:

I'm about to start Magnetic Resonance revision today and i'm not looking forward to it :indiff:
I remember there being an exam question about the principles of Magnetic Resonance (8 marks) so that would include Larmor Frequency, Nuclear Precession etc. But I think we're more likely to get a wordy question than a calculation. Or we might have to work out the Larmor frequency from a graph.
I knoww, I can't wait til the end of exams. Bring on the summer :yep:
Reply 85
Finished G482, G484 and now time for G485 gonna try finish it by this monday :smile:.

I have a practical assessment on saturday. The experiment is on the vibration of metal strip. This is all i've been told any done this before or can someone suggest me topics to revise for this?
I'm about to start Magnetic Resonance revision today and i'm not looking forward to it :indiff:
I remember there being an exam question about the principles of Magnetic Resonance (8 marks) so that would include Larmor Frequency, Nuclear Precession etc. But I think we're more likely to get a wordy question than a calculation. Or we might have to work out the Larmor frequency from a graph.
I knoww, I can't wait til the end of exams. Bring on the summer :yep:

Literally JUST finished reading about MRI. It's easy enough but trying to remember all the key things is clearly gona be a pain. Gimme graph reading or equations any day :moon:

Plus learning by rote is a) boring and b) doesn't exactly prove an understanding.
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Literally JUST finished reading about MRI. It's easy enough but trying to remember all the key things is clearly gona be a pain. Gimme graph reading or equations any day :moon:

Plus learning by rote is a) boring and b) doesn't exactly prove an understanding.

graphs/equations > written questions :yep:
that's the most annoying thing about g485 - there's so much content :sad:
yeah, rote learning only worked for me at gcse :sigh:
graphs/equations > written questions :yep:
that's the most annoying thing about g485 - there's so much content :sad:
yeah, rote learning only worked for me at gcse :sigh:

Yeah there is a lot, same for 482. I had so much more time when doing 481 and 484 for Jan exams. Now I have more content and less time. Wish I'd have known.

I still think the wordy parts in A level are rote learning. Like definitions and stuff: Tthe more I go over them, the better they stick.
Original post by singh224
Finished G482, G484 and now time for G485 gonna try finish it by this monday :smile:.

I have a practical assessment on saturday. The experiment is on the vibration of metal strip. This is all i've been told any done this before or can someone suggest me topics to revise for this?

We're not allowed to discuss specifics about practicals; but the best advice I'd give is to practice drawing graphs. You might need to interpret results from a graph (including working out gradients, y-intercepts etc.)
Also, when you do an experiment, get three results, instead of one, for better accuracy :smile:
Reply 90
We're not allowed to discuss specifics about practicals; but the best advice I'd give is to practice drawing graphs. You might need to interpret results from a graph (including working out gradients, y-intercepts etc.)
Also, when you do an experiment, get three results, instead of one, for better accuracy :smile:

lol thanks :P
lol thanks :P

just thought of something else... when you do the experiment, think of several ways in which you could make it more accurate (different apparatus etc.) And it'll also help to be confident in rearranging equations. I did mine over a year ago, so that's all i can think of atm.
Good luck with the Practical! :smile:
Reply 92
just thought of something else... when you do the experiment, think of several ways in which you could make it more accurate (different apparatus etc.) And it'll also help to be confident in rearranging equations. I did mine over a year ago, so that's all i can think of atm.
Good luck with the Practical! :smile:

thanks but I read this after doing it lol and its super easy nothing like accuracy :smile:
thanks but I read this after doing it lol and its super easy nothing like accuracy :smile:

haha :smile: when do you get to find out your result?
Reply 94
haha :smile: when do you get to find out your result?

no clue but i've got I more part left its next week lol
Reply 95
I've attached a copy of the G485 Jan 2012 mark scheme I've got. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by t01
I've attached a copy of the G485 Jan 2012 mark scheme I've got. Hope this helps :smile:

You're a star! :h:

+rep
Original post by t01

+1

Thank you so much! :smile: You're the best :h:
Reply 98
I am doing the practical assessment tmr. its abt LDR and sth like attenuation. Have anyone done that before? Can anyone give me some suggestions on what topics to revise for? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! thanks!!!!!!!!
Reply 99
Does anybody have the mechanics 2012 paper that they can send me?

Quick Reply