The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Borderline
I have an unconditional offer for Law. I took English Lit, History, Maths and Biology - similar to yours. You should be absolutely fine.

For the LNAT the only way you can really prepare for it is by completely sample tests on the LNAT website. For the essay section of the LNAT you should make sure you read a newspaper everyday for a couple of weeks before taking it, to familiarise yourself with the writing, which is similar to how tsecrets ions in the test are written.
To be honest though reading a newspaper is not entirely necessary.

Okay thank-you so much, oh and what's an unconditional offer? :eek:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by anotherlawstudent
Okay thank-you so much, oh and what's an unconditional offer? :eek:

Oops, I meant I have a conditional offer! Anyway, an unconditional offer means that you do not have to achieve a set of grades - your offer is not conditional on your exam results.
Good afternoon,

I have a very trivial question for current UCL hall residents, I understand the rooms come supplied with an internet connection. Are these connections via an ethernet cable in the wall or wireless?

Plus do they block such things are playsation network or xbox live? or skype for that matter?

Thank you for your time
Reply 2423
One question, although I know the handful of tube stations that's close to UCL. But, which one is closest? Which one is easiest to get to in terms of walking distance including the stairs and lifts?

Or is it department dependent?
Euston Square is the closest. Other near ones (5 minute walk max) are: Goodge Street, Warren Street, Euston and Russell Square.

Euston Square again. You come out on the corner of UCL itself.

I think Euston Square is the closest for most. Some departments (like Psychology) which aren't on the main campus would be closer to Russell Square (for instance).

EDIT: Random neg?

EDIT2: Can the neggers explain what's wrong with my post? I've explained it's the closest for most, which implies it isn't for all departments.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2425
Original post by Rtcw
One question, although I know the handful of tube stations that's close to UCL. But, which one is closest? Which one is easiest to get to in terms of walking distance including the stairs and lifts?

Or is it department dependent?

I would say dept dependent. Although as said above, Euston Sq is the one closest on average; if you do mgmt you might be better off with Goodge Street; Euston is best for SSEES and Anthropology&Archeology; Speech Sciences or sth like that is wayyy off campus (closer to King's X).
Reply 2426
I'm hoping to apply to UCL for a biology/chemistry related degree this year, but I didn't take a language at GCSE. I'd be perfectly happy to work towards this requirement once at UCL (if I get in) as it says on the website, but I've heard from a few people that my application won't even be considered without one? Will not having a language GCSE make me a less competitive applicant? Please help!

I didn't do a language at GCSE because it wasn't a requirement for any universities at the time. I would have otherwise.
Reply 2427
The Bloomsbury Campus is quite small, 320 metres wide (Gower Street/Torrington Place junction to the eastern edge of Gordon Square). And about the same in length (Euston Square Station down Gower Street to Torrington Place)

So if you're building is in this main area (+Cruciform and Rockefeller since they open on Gower Street but on the other side) all the stations mentioned are really close and there's only going to be a matter of minutes in difference.

Most of them are on different lines too, so it's quite convenient anyway no matter where you're coming from.
Reply 2428
Original post by ummm
I'm hoping to apply to UCL for a biology/chemistry related degree this year, but I didn't take a language at GCSE. I'd be perfectly happy to work towards this requirement once at UCL (if I get in) as it says on the website, but I've heard from a few people that my application won't even be considered without one? Will not having a language GCSE make me a less competitive applicant? Please help!

I didn't do a language at GCSE because it wasn't a requirement for any universities at the time. I would have otherwise.

"For UK-based students, UCL also requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. If you are not studying a Modern Language GCSE this will not prohibit the consideration of your application. For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL. This will be either through taking a 0.5 course unit in a language as part of the degree programme or through studying for a specially designed certificate."
Reply 2429
Original post by PJ991
"For UK-based students, UCL also requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. If you are not studying a Modern Language GCSE this will not prohibit the consideration of your application. For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL. This will be either through taking a 0.5 course unit in a language as part of the degree programme or through studying for a specially designed certificate."

Thanks! I might contact them just to make sure... they want me to include my UCAS number in the email as well though, but I haven't registered with UCAS yet, and on the website I can only see a place to register for 2012 entry, but I'm 2013 entry... what should I do?
Reply 2430
Original post by ummm
Thanks! I might contact them just to make sure... they want me to include my UCAS number in the email as well though, but I haven't registered with UCAS yet, and on the website I can only see a place to register for 2012 entry, but I'm 2013 entry... what should I do?

you aren't a current applicant so send it without, obviously. Just tell them you're considering, but wanted clarification regarding that.

they'll probably take ages to reply though.
Reply 2431
Original post by PJ991
you aren't a current applicant so send it without, obviously. Just tell them you're considering, but wanted clarification regarding that.

they'll probably take ages to reply though.

Okay - thanks!
Reply 2432
Original post by Capo_Kid
Good afternoon,

I have a very trivial question for current UCL hall residents, I understand the rooms come supplied with an internet connection. Are these connections via an ethernet cable in the wall or wireless?

Plus do they block such things are playsation network or xbox live? or skype for that matter?

Thank you for your time

I live in Nutford House (intercollegiate hall) and we're connected to the Internet via ethernet cables.

They don't block Skype, I use it daily without any problems. I'm not sure about the rest though; I know that UoL is pretty obessed with blocking downloading websites.
Hello! International applicant for medicine at UCL here- I'd like to solicit your opinions regarding the clarity of teaching done at UCL. Do your lecturers teach fairly well? Are you guys satisfied with your course content? Would you be anywhere else other than UCL?

Is the support system there solid? Do you guys feel that 'help is just around the corner' if you face problems, academic-wise or social-wise?

In short, how have your student experiences been like?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2434
Original post by Anhedonia
Hello! International applicant for medicine at UCL here- I'd like to solicit your opinions regarding the clarity of teaching done at UCL. Do your lecturers teach fairly well? Are you guys satisfied with your course content? Would you be anywhere else other than UCL?

Is the support system there solid? Do you guys feel that 'help is just around the corner' if you face problems, academic-wise or social-wise?

In short, how have your student experiences been like?

I don't do medicine. But the very people I do know who do all enjoy it. They're often quite insular, but that's understandable due to their many hours, and being put in smaller groups.

I would say there is good support. You've got your personal tutor to go to for many problems, and in my experience they're very helpful and understanding. If you perhaps don't get along or want to hear something else, you could go to your undergraduate tutor for the same thing. Then for more unofficial things there are a few things the Union provides such as the Nightline service and they have advice sessions about all sorts, course related or not. As well as that there's UCL Psychological Services should you need that.
Does anyone here to Statistics and Management for Business or know anything about it?

Advice/info about how youre finding the course, career prospects, what graduates have gone on to do, difficulty...anything really, would be greatly appreciated. If possible can you PM me about it?
Thank you!
Reply 2436
May someone share the experience of finding a part-time job while studying in the UCL? It is fairly easy or hard because of the location of UCL.
Have firmed UCL, but pretty need to have a part-time job in order to cover part of the accommodation fee
Reply 2437
Original post by Kiru
May someone share the experience of finding a part-time job while studying in the UCL? It is fairly easy or hard because of the location of UCL.
Have firmed UCL, but pretty need to have a part-time job in order to cover part of the accommodation fee

I haven't myself but I'm sure it's pretty easy. There are so so so many bars and shops and restaurants, if you send out lots of CVs you're bound to get something. Also most of the students I know who have jobs work for the union - in the bars or the gym reception or clubs and societies reception etc. There's also the UCLU jobshop - you log in online and there are lots of adverts for part-time jobs around London.
Reply 2438
Hello! I can't go to the UCL Open Day this summer, but I'm still considering applying. What are the best bits about UCL, and what aspects (if any) aren't so great? The idea of studying in London is particularly appealing, what's the reality of that like?
Reply 2439
Original post by Kiru

As mentioned, try Jobshop - amazing service. And as soon as the term starts, go and ask in the UCLU bars and cafes if they need anyone but you might have to be fairly flexible with hours there, so it depends on the kind of subject you study.

Original post by ily_em
I haven't myself but I'm sure it's pretty easy. There are so so so many bars and shops and restaurants, if you send out lots of CVs you're bound to get something. Also most of the students I know who have jobs work for the union - in the bars or the gym reception or clubs and societies reception etc. There's also the UCLU jobshop - you log in online and there are lots of adverts for part-time jobs around London.

UCLU jobs - fantastic, I can confirm that :smile: Just with the sending CVs part: I found it much easier and quicker to get a job when I just walked around local pubs/Costas/whatever and handed my CVs - in this way you could know immediatly if you got the position.

Quick Reply

Latest