The Student Room Group

The Problem of Evil: A Significant Challenge to Theistic Belief?

Do you think the problem of evil is a significant challenge to theistic belief?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DomPugh
You may find this interesting to read.

He (20th century Islamic philosopher Muhammad Iqbal) suggests that Goodness would not be possible without the resistance of evil. The evil in the world is meant to be overcome. Whoever asks why must there be evil when God can remove it is missing the point. Iqbal insists that without evil there could be no moral or spiritual development. He sites a simile used by Kant in which he refers to birds who resent the resistance of air, yet it is the very air that allows them to fly high, they would be unable to do so in a vacuum. Likewise, a certain amount of evil is necessary for the inner growth of humans, so that they may be able to overcome it. (Sharif 1628) As the Quran states, “And for trial will We test you with evil and with Good (21:35).

Here's the rest of the link by the way.

http://saif_w.tripod.com/curious/philosophy/maftab/problem_of_evil.htm
Reply 2
Yes that very interesting, very similar to Iraneas / Hick
I don't think the Problem of Evil is a problem at all.

"Good" and "evil" are subjective concepts. "Good" is that which pleases us, and "evil" is that which displeases us. Of the three options the Problem of Evil provides, I would be happy to choose the option which suggests "God is able to prevent evil, but not willing" - that is, God could have created the universe such that we never experienced displeasure, but has chosen not to. The conclusion given is of course "Then he is malevolent". Well, call him what you like. This isn't a new concept, it's just a word which encompasses what I just said - clearly I already agree.

If by "malevolent", you simply mean that some of God's actions result in our displeasure, then I think any theist would tell you, "Yes, this is the God I believe in." If God only ever acted for our pleasure, we'd be in Heaven already. Besides, God created Satan, didn't he? It hasn't disproven what the theist believed in to begin with - only assigned a word to it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not particularly. It can be combated fairly well. The only issues it has for theistic belief is the word good and it's meaning imo.
Reply 5
Original post by DomPugh

done this in philosophy, not a problem at all.

your argument is a fallacy, you're using evil to disprove god, but how can either good or evil exist without god?
(edited 11 years ago)
No. When walking my dog, she's always desperate for me to get her a stick and play fetch with it. However, I don't, because I understand that its dangerous as an accident could happen and it could pierce/ get lodged in her throat. However, she isnt aware of this, and is suffering as a result of me not playing fetch with her. In her head, her thought process would be something like "why isn't he playing fetch with me? he must not love me very much, or enjoys watching me suffer". However, I'm causing her to suffer, precisely because i care about her, and know whats best for her.

Same sorta thing with us and God, i think, if he exists of course.
Original post by SexyNerd

your argument is a fallacy, you're using evil to disprove god, but how can either good or evil exist without god?

wut?
Reply 8
Original post by chickenonsteroids
wut?

explain, how can either of them exist without god?
explain, how can either of them exist without god?

lol you haven't developed anything you said. You just asked the question again. Can you develop on your reasoning please?

:smile:
Reply 10
lol you haven't developed anything you said. You just asked the question again. Can you develop on your reasoning please?

:smile:

I said, neither of them can exist without God.. I don't need to develop the argument.
I said, neither of them can exist without God.. I don't need to develop the argument.

I like assertions. They're cool.
A challenge to general theism? Not really? A challenge to gods defined by their omnibenevolence? Potentially.

It entirely depends on how you define good and evil. There is no evidence to suggest morality in objective and transcendent therefore it is not necessarily contingent on the existence of a god unless you can prove otherwise.
Reply 13
so, you don't believe in objective morality... :rolleyes:
no

That is what I said...

Like I said, feel free to prove otherwise.

Some people think it's possible to get objective morality without god. It's a debate that's gone on for years. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. If you're just saying good is what god says is good then ... ok? So what? Can you please explain what you're talking about instead of being lazy and just making statements? It'd develop the conversation further.
Reply 17
this is quite a common argument.

Lets say, murdering an innocent baby, so you think it depends on personal opinion whether it is wrong or not, its not juts wrong, regardless of what anyone thinks?
Reply 18
Some people think it's possible to get objective morality without god. It's a debate that's gone on for years. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. If you're just saying good is what god says is good then ... ok? So what? Can you please explain what you're talking about instead of being lazy and just making statements? It'd develop the conversation further.

how can you have objective morality without god?
Some consider it a necessary component to free will - and if we didn't have free will, then that would be a greater challenge.

Note also that you are equating theistic belief with Christian teachings. It doesn't follow that God has to have created a perfect civilization in all religions or belief systems.

Quick Reply

Latest