The Student Room Group

To gap or not to gap, that is the question?

I'm sure people ask this all the time, but...I have a place at Leeds to study Economics and Management for 2012 entry. However, I now really want to take a gap year travelling across the USA with one of my friends.

Should I contact Leeds and ask to defer entry to the next year?

Also, we won't be 21 and are relying on not shaving to get served and gamble..should I wait until after Uni?

I really don't know what to do :s
Forget you KFC. Change your rules.
Original post by dominicjohnson
I'm sure people ask this all the time, but...I have a place at Leeds to study Economics and Management for 2012 entry. However, I now really want to take a gap year travelling across the USA with one of my friends.

Also, we won't be 21 and are relying on not shaving to get served and gamble..should I wait until after Uni?

Go to uni in september, travel after, once you have turned 21.
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
Go to uni in september, travel after, once you have turned 21.

why?
Reply 4
What will you do if you can't get served and gamble? America is quite tight on underage drinking if i'm not mistaken.
I don't think gap years have to be all about drinking and gambling! If you want to take the break and spend time time hanging out with your friend meeting new people then you should defiantly consider it! Gap years are a great break and a great way to sort out your priorities...

If drinking and gambling really are a big deal to you- maybe consider travelling places where the age limit isn't such an issue like Australian or South East Asia.
Yeah that idea won't work in the states :p: They are red hot on underage drinking.

You could do america and not drink though, it's not *that* bad.

If you want a gap year go for it, I'd rather take a year and it fail than regret not trying...
I imagine they are red hot on underage drinking in cities, does anyone know about small towns?

It's so hard to make a decision! Drinking and gambling isn't everything - but if we went through Vegas, you want to experience it a little!

Well is the only reason why you'd be travelling to get pissed and gamble? If so, it's pretty uncertain whether you'd be able to. If not, go for it!
why?

Well although a gap year doesnt have to involve drinking etc, if you wait until you are 21 you'll have the option, also I think you'll need it more after uni, i've just finished this week and could do with a good break from work!!
Reply 10
I imagine they are red hot on underage drinking in cities, does anyone know about small towns?

It's so hard to make a decision! Drinking and gambling isn't everything - but if we went through Vegas, you want to experience it a little!

you would be better waiting until 21 if that's what you want from the states... seriously they are super strict... vegas is v. strict on its gambling.

You will most definitely still get ID'd and you're only allowed to stay in the US for up to 3 months a year. If that's the only country you're interested in visiting, I'd suggest working at a summer camp either this summer or next. But if you don't think your holiday will be ruined through being underage (and being identified as such in Vegas and other US places) then go for it. But how would you fill out the other 9 months of the year?

Quick Reply

Latest