The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by marcusfox

And if you've been on JSA for 18 months you'll have a New Deal railcard entitling you to 50% off the rest of your train travel (not Scotland)

I don't think this is true at all.
Original post by Martyn*

I think they've now been re-named JobcentrePlus rail discount cards, but they do exist. You need to ask about them when you sign on.

Thing is as this version is quite new, not all staff will know about it. If they don't just ask them to ask their manager, who should know.

EDIT: They're also now available in Scotland as well.
Original post by Martyn*

You don't think.

Instead of using the Internet to educate yourself on the matter about something somebody tells you that have never heard about before, you write it off as false. It says everything about your attitude in general on here.

The Department for Work and Pensions, through its executive agency the Employment Service (Jobcentre Plus), administers a scheme whereby unemployed people can gain discounts of 50% on a wide range of travel and Season tickets. This is intended to assist them in their search for employment, although they can be used for discounts on leisure journeys as well.

The Employment Service authorises and issues the cards, which are valid for three months at a time. Discounts are available on all Standard class travel tickets within England and Wales, Peak and Off Peak One Day Travelcards, Seven Day Season Tickets and Travelcards, and Longer Period (one month and more) Season Tickets and Travelcards, subject to the validity of the Photocard. There are no discounts for First Class fares. In all cases, the status code NDEAL is used on tickets.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2223089

http://new.raileasy.co.uk/information/rail-cards/new-deal

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56881
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gateshipone
I think they've now been re-named JobcentrePlus rail discount cards, but they do exist. You need to ask about them when you sign on.

Thing is as this version is quite new, not all staff will know about it. If they don't just ask them to ask their manager, who should know.

EDIT: They're also now available in Scotland as well.

For Scotrail only, which means that Scottish holders can't use them for 50% off travel in England.
For Scotrail only, which means that Scottish holders can't use them for 50% off travel in England.

Ah fair enough. I just remembered hearing something about Scotland getting them finally, couldn't remember the details. Thanks.
Original post by Shomberlon
I'm just going to write you off as a troll because you really have no clue on the matter.

Methinks Shomberlon doth protest too much.

Lets face it, there are many valid things to complain about as regards being on JSA.

But the two things you picked to complain about, namely the massive :rolleyes: costs of printing CVs and travel costs (presumably) to interviews is ridiculous and to be honest just sounded extremely pathetic, so I thought I should point out why.

So, at risk of you getting completely owned once again, do tell me why I 'really have no clue on the matter'.

Bald statements telling someone they 'have no clue', without saying why, really have the opposite effect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gateshipone
Ah fair enough. I just remembered hearing something about Scotland getting them finally, couldn't remember the details. Thanks.

What I meant in my post by (not Scotland) means that more restrictive terms apply.

There, the New Deal Photocards are issued for periods of up to six months, but you can only buy tickets at the stations with your 50% discount on 7 day season tickets for journeys only inside Scotland.

Jobcentres themselves also sell some single and day return tickets for journeys, again at a 50% discount and only within Scotland.
Job centre will pay travel expenses for any confirmed interviews. And if you've been on JSA for 18 months you'll have a New Deal railcard entitling you to 50% off the rest of your train travel (not Scotland)

Wish I'd have known about that. When I was on JSA distance wasn't an issue so getting to interviews was sometimes very expensive :s-smilie:
Original post by NietzschanGuy
I share these sentiments. Having finally secured a job last month, the thing I most dread in the world would be to have to live on benefits and the jobcentre again. I don't understand how anyone could enjoy such a lifestyle, or even tolerate it. Whatever else it was, it didn't feel like an easy ride to me.

Agree 100% but not everyone chooses too since they might have lost their job which is understandable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Looking for jobs 3 days of the week is more than enough really. I get daily job alerts and it'd take me about 30 minutes to go through half a dozen career websites to see what's available. Odd days aren't going make too much of a difference. If you miss the job on the Wednesday, then the Thursday will pick it up again.

It doesn't take long to send in CVs and cover letters - I have a general template which I rearrange. Three days is more than enough.

The solution isn't to cut benefits though - You can't just increase their debt. You need to find a long term solution. Perhaps force them to do something beneficial (such as paid community service) before you just cut them off entirely.

Finding a job is not hard. I am 19 and I have a job. I'm about to go for an interview for a second job this week. I've had 3 or 4 other jobs before this, and several more interviews. Finding work is easy... You just have to be prepared to make do with something that isn't part of your long term goal. I think some people are scared of that or just too lazy.
Reply 90
Original post by DudeRugs
£55 a week is hardly heavenly.

I am ignorant about how much people actually get on JSA. Seems the general consensus is around £60 a week.

That really doesn't seem believable to me, practically everyone knows a household where absolutely noone works, yet they manage to have a car and other luxury items, cigarettes, booze, pizza (Dominos/Pizza Hut ain't cheap) Sky dish on the wall etc.

There must be enough other benefits and handouts people can apply for and receive to bring their weekly income at least up to the standard of someone on a low end income.

Not trolling; genuinely curious.
Original post by chazilton
I am ignorant about how much people actually get on JSA. Seems the general consensus is around £60 a week.

That really doesn't seem believable to me, practically everyone knows a household where absolutely noone works, yet they manage to have a car and other luxury items, cigarettes, booze, pizza (Dominos/Pizza Hut ain't cheap) Sky dish on the wall etc.

There must be enough other benefits and handouts people can apply for and receive to bring their weekly income at least up to the standard of someone on a low end income.

Not trolling; genuinely curious.

Job seekers allowance
Child benefit (but I guess everyone gets this if they have kids)
Housing benefit
Council tax benefit
Income Support
Disability living allowance
Working tax credit
Family/child tax credit
Mobility allowance
Employment and support allowance

It is definitely possible for a couple who aren't working with a large family to collect more in benefits than they would get if they were working.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Excellent news.
I really do hope at one point in your life you do have to have JSA for an extended time because you clearly have no idea what it's actually like to be on it, I've been on JSA for about 18 months, it's not enough money to pay all the bills and I'm £100s behind on some of them, to say I should be looking for work Monday-Saturday handing out CVs and I'll easily find work is total crap. Firstly where's the money coming from to pay for all the printing of these CVs? Also the travel expenses and whatnot. It just isn't practical, it's Easy to say but that's all it is.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Money for printing CVs? Even if you don't have a printer, you can have plain black on white A4 for about 1-2p per sheet. Emailed CVs are free, and the vast majority of jobs at the Jobcentre ask you to e-mail your CV in.

Job centre will pay travel expenses for any confirmed interviews. And if you've been on JSA for 18 months you'll have a New Deal railcard entitling you to 50% off the rest of your train travel (not Scotland)

Say what you like about being on JSA but putting up those two things as barriers to employment says to me that you're more interested in making excuses.

I'm just going to write you off as a troll because you really have no clue on the matter.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Suggest you give up the iPhone/iPad contract, sell the device and spend some money on catching up with the rest of your bills, perhaps you will be able to pay your printing costs then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Suggest you give up the iPhone/iPad contract, sell the device and spend some money on catching up with the rest of your bills, perhaps you will be able to pay your printing costs then.

But internet is needed for job searching is it not?
A phone is needed for telephone interviews/ enquiries/ agencies to get in contact with you.

And contract phones are affordable for everyone. That is the purpose of them.
Original post by original_username
But internet is needed for job searching is it not?
A phone is needed for telephone interviews/ enquiries/ agencies to get in contact with you.

And contract phones are affordable for everyone. That is the purpose of them.

True enough, but you have to wonder, if your strugging with bills as it is why an iPhone/iPad is the way to go, since these seem to be the more premium phones and contract deals, as opposed to a more basic phone and calls plan.
Reply 96
Money for printing CVs? Even if you don't have a printer, you can have plain black on white A4 for about 1-2p per sheet. Emailed CVs are free, and the vast majority of jobs at the Jobcentre ask you to e-mail your CV in.

Say what you like about being on JSA but putting up those two things as barriers to employment says to me that you're more interested in making excuses.

I'm not so sure, I can't imagine it would be the nicest to be stuck on JSA for 18 months or so.

As minor as those things may seem, when bills are mounting I am sure even the little things start to seem major.
Original post by ufo2012
I'm not so sure, I can't imagine it would be the nicest to be stuck on JSA for 18 months or so.

As minor as those things may seem, when bills are mounting I am sure even the little things start to seem major.

Saying that they can't afford printing when printing costs are so low (when they choose to run an iPhone) and saying that they can't afford transport to interviews when the Job Centre will pay your expenses are excuses.

You can complain quite validly about a lot of other aspects, such as the increasing things they will make you do to look for work, the increasing frequency they ask you to do these things, the increasing numbers of crappy jobs below your experience/qualifications that they make you apply for once it's clear that you won't get a job based on what your qualifications or education are targeted at, the increasing hoops they make you jump through, increasing numbers of scheme after scheme that you must attend, etc, these are all valid complaints. Not CV printing costs. I bet if you told the Job Centre that you didn't have the facility to print your CVs, they would do it for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Job seekers allowance
Child benefit (but I guess everyone gets this if they have kids)
Housing benefit
Council tax benefit
Income Support
Disability living allowance
Working tax credit
Family/child tax credit
Mobility allowance
Employment and support allowance

It is definitely possible for a couple who aren't working with a large family to collect more in benefits than they would get if they were working.

You wouldn't get all those benefits. The rules for child benefit have / are changing. But only if you earn £60k per year or something.

If you give up the phone contract, you may have to buy yourself out of it.
Reply 99
Original post by Musickid754
I also agree with you that there are not much jobs available now but I can tell you why, the reason there are not many jobs now and the foreign people are taking them all is because British people are being too picky about the jobs they are offered either because they don't pay a high salary or because they are seen as "Dirty Jobs" such as a dustman or working behind a fast food counter.

The good British people who have worked their *** off at uni to get where they want to be, do not want to be lumbered with a minimum wage, dirty job such as a dustman or working behind a fast food counter.

They worked so that they would be better than that, so lowering themselves to that would be wrong.

Original post by pharmasaurus

It's not difficult getting a job. Stop dreaming and applying for jobs that you're not qualified or experience to do. JSA claimants make up a fair part of the £200 billion pound annual welfare bill and are too selfish to realise that If they were to take any job and pay taxes rather than taking them, the state of the economy will improve, opening the opportunity to better jobs.

Have you been missing that recently employees do not want to take on graduates because they are over-qualified?

I don't think it is as easy as you make out.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending