The Student Room Group

Assembling a study group for revision and discuss after each seminar?

Hello.

My name is Saehee Lee.
From this September, I'm going to start my taught masters programme in Sheffield University. Here I want to ask you about what you think of assembling a study group.

I'm studying International studies.
It covers international relations, Security Studies, Ethnic Conflicts, etc.
Since I have one year to stay in the UK, I'd like to make my academic year efficient and diligent.

As many students have felt, it is not easy to know what I've learned and understood is right or wrong after seminars and lectures.

To solve this problem, I'm thinking of assembling a study group to review what we've learned and what the lecturer's points were.

Aim: 1. to understand exactly what we have learned and discussed
2. to refine Who said what
3. to direct our next seminars with previous or relevant themes

Period: Till the module finishes.
Once in a week, 1hours to 2 hours

Members: Students who study similar or relevant subjects

Here I want to hear your advice.

Thank you for reading my post.
Reply 1
Hi there,

I'm not sure about a study group as I think I'm going to have to work part time when I start my MA in Politics in September.

However, although I cannot answer whether I'll be available for a post seminar group I did want to ask you what modules you have chosen and for what reasons?

Further, are you doing a standard dissertation or a work based learning one?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Original post by saehee
Hello.

My name is Saehee Lee.
From this September, I'm going to start my taught masters programme in Sheffield University. Here I want to ask you about what you think of assembling a study group.

I'm studying International studies.
It covers international relations, Security Studies, Ethnic Conflicts, etc.
Since I have one year to stay in the UK, I'd like to make my academic year efficient and diligent.

As many students have felt, it is not easy to know what I've learned and understood is right or wrong after seminars and lectures.

To solve this problem, I'm thinking of assembling a study group to review what we've learned and what the lecturer's points were.

Aim: 1. to understand exactly what we have learned and discussed
2. to refine Who said what
3. to direct our next seminars with previous or relevant themes

Period: Till the module finishes.
Once in a week, 1hours to 2 hours

Members: Students who study similar or relevant subjects

Here I want to hear your advice.

Thank you for reading my post.

Sounds like a great course - you might find that the university will provide an online facility for you to discuss your work with other students. Another idea is to set up a thread on TSR - that way you get to talk with students doing similar courses across the country (and maybe other countries too).

We're currently working out how to set up study groups on TSR's sister site - Get Revising and would love to hear your ideas on how a great online study group might work.
Reply 3
Hello.

sorry for the delay.
I had to solve some problems with my ex-boss about few things.
Had to establish some sort of legal basis to sue him. :smile:
It turned out quite well. but anyway sorry for keeping you wait.

Well, I can't be sure about the study group. I will think about it.
I just wanted to make a discussion group after seminars so we can check few things I or the others have missed out during seminars.

I've chosen two modules for the first term;
POL6005 Contemporary Global Security
POL6970 Theory and Practice of International Relations

and for the second term;
POL617 Contemporary Ethnic Conflict
POL6003 Politics of Global Migration

The reason I chose these modules are..
Basically I wanted to study about how people are affected by globalisation of economy, security, culture and environment and at the same time how people affect to the globalization of the world.
So, I'd like to figure out what drives people move to another country or something like how people become the subject of globalization.

I know this is ridiculously abstract but during I study in Sheffield, I will narrow it down.

How about you?

Which modules did you choose? and why?

By the way, I think I'm not ready for the work based learning dissertation.
At first, I'd like to be stuck in the university library and for further research, I will rile professors and tutors as much as they allow me. :smile:
Reply 4
Sounds good, don't be upset if no one wants to take part though, they might have p/t jobs, other modules or long commutes. Some people just aren't going to be interested. You might just get one study buddy or no one at all.
Reply 5
I just wanted to know how people think about these kind of study group.
And I'm fully aware of other people might need to have part time job during their study.
Well, anyway thanks for replying.
I might also need to get a part time job during I'm staying in the UK. So.. :smile:

Wa... While I was working in the Company, just wanted to study. But then when I decided to study quitting my job, I suddenly felt the needs of saving money.

Just admire all the people study what they want and work as part timer at the same time.

Good luck, everybody.

Quick Reply

Latest