The Student Room Group

C3 exponential differentiation

I would appreciate some help with this question thanks!

Given that T is a measure of temperature in degrees C, t is the time in minutes and that T = 20 + 60e^-0.1t, t > or equal to 0

a) Find dT/dt
I worked it out and I got -6e^-0.1t

b) Find the value of T at which the temperature is decreasing at a rate of 1.8 degrees C per minute

I thought I would do -6e^-0.1t = 1.8
but then I am stuck, the answer I should get is 38 :confused:
Reply 1
i thaught it would be -60 not -6
Reply 2
Hrov
i thaught it would be -60 not -6

I did it wrong with latex, I needed to differentiate 60e to the power of -0.1t
which is -6e to the power of -0.1t (same as the answer in the book)
kinglrb
I would appreciate some help with this question thanks!

Given that T is a measure of temperature in degrees C, t is the time in minutes and that T = 20 + 60e^-0.1t, t > or equal to 0

a) Find dT/dt
I worked it out and I got -6e^-0.1t

b) Find the value of T at which the temperature is decreasing at a rate of 1.8 degrees C per minute

I thought I would do -6e^-0.1t = 1.8
but then I am stuck, the answer I should get is 38 :confused:

ln ?
I answered this EXACT question a few hours ago.
I'll copy out my solution for you :smile:

your first answer is correct. :smile:

Then, find out the value for "t" and set the expression you found in a) equal to -1.8. (It's a decrease remember, so negative)

so basically -6e^0.1t = -1.8, take logs of both sides and solve for t.

Using your value of t (I get ~12.04 ish) substitute this into the original expression for T (not dT/dt).

So T = 60e^(-0.1 x 12.04) + 20

should give 38 *C

:smile:
me, myself and I

Then, find out the value for "t" and set the expression you found in a) equal to -1.8. (It's a decrease remember, so negative)

Using your value of t (I get ~12.04 ish) substitute this into the original expression for T (not dT/dt).

should give 38 *C

thats it ^^
Reply 6
me, myself and I

should give 38 *C

Ahhh brillaint, thanks! I was getting 12.04 but forgot to add it back in so I was doing again and again. Thank you!
kinglrb
Ahhh brillaint, thanks! I was getting 12.04 but forgot to add it back in so I was doing again and again. Thank you!

:biggrin: glad I could help! Just thought it was such a coincidence when I saw the question lol, I have an interview tomorrow so I've been preparing for it and getting stressed out, haha

Reply 8
me, myself and I
:biggrin: glad I could help! Just thought it was such a coincidence when I saw the question lol, I have an interview tomorrow so I've been preparing for it and getting stressed out, haha

oooh, interview for what if you don't mind me asking?
kinglrb
oooh, interview for what if you don't mind me asking?

it was for civil engineering :smile: at imperial
fingers crossed it went well, the interview wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be and the interviewer was lovely! but I don't want to think about it too much in case I don't get an offer on ucas! Loved the place though!
Reply 10
me, myself and I
it was for civil engineering :smile: at imperial
fingers crossed it went well, the interview wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be and the interviewer was lovely! but I don't want to think about it too much in case I don't get an offer on ucas! Loved the place though!

Oh brillaint! I am sure you did great, Good luck with that :wink:
kinglrb
Oh brillaint! I am sure you did great, Good luck with that :wink:

Thanks! :smile:
are you applying this year?
Reply 12
me, myself and I
Thanks! :smile:
are you applying this year?

Yupp :yep: , I've applied for medicine at Newcastle, Leicester, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Chemical Engineering at UCL. I still haven't got any interviews so am still waiting :woo:
kinglrb
Yupp :yep: , I've applied for medicine at Newcastle, Leicester, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Chemical Engineering at UCL. I still haven't got any interviews so am still waiting :woo:

Ooooh of course, just realised it says so in your sig! lol, good luck with them all though :smile:
Reply 14
me, myself and I
Ooooh of course, just realised it says so in your sig! lol, good luck with them all though :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Latest