The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think its easier to be a vegetarian if you are indian/ like indian dishes. There are so many things to choose from - also you get your protein from beans, pulses and lentils.

I always found it funny when people said but you need meat for protein - especially when my family has been vegetarian for generations and we are still healthy and here!
I was veggie for three years!! :biggrin:

(Didn't eat meat or fish...)

I still don't really like the taste of meat and fish but, I eat it because its that or iron supplements... I only eat butchers meat, and I know the butcher so... I know the animals are treated well (not like, mass electrocuting McDonalds stylee!! :frown:)

So I can be an honorary member right?? :smile:
Reply 22
I'm not veggie, but I love vegetables! mmmmmmm broccoli! And also I love veggie sausages. Sign me up as a non-veggie member! :biggrin:
Reply 23
Out of interest, where do vegetarians get essential omega-3 oils from, and haem iron? As far as I'm aware, you can only find them in animal products.
Reply 24
I love vegetables. More or less. At least carrots... And I always wanted to be a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but I couldn't bring myself to give up meat. It tastes to good, I am ashamed to admit. But there. I'd like to be an honorary, if I may.
Reply 25
kew96158
Out of interest, where do vegetarians get essential omega-3 oils from, and haem iron? As far as I'm aware, you can only find them in animal products.

omega 3 is in things like seeds - i know flax seeds contain it
Reply 26
I'm a veggie, started out by slowly cutting out meat from my diet, and gelatine, as I didn't like the taste or the idea of eating animals. I kept eating fish for a while, partly to maintain the whole gradual process thing while I got used to finding non-meat sources of protein/iron etc., and also as a sort of compromise with my parents, who aren't very good with the veggie thing and were hugely concerned about what I was eating. Now I don't eat fish either, but get horribly paranoid about things containing gelatine or animal fat or anything. I also used to be anaemic, and had to take iron tablets.
Falafel is great. Ditto hummus.
Hi
I'm a veggie - no meat/fish/gelatine, but do eat eggs etc. My friend is veggie who doesn't eat fish, and she had a go at me the other day for not eating fish and said I would get ill from not having enough protein!!! I think she just feels bad about eating fish. I have been veggie for about 3 years, because I didn't like the idea of eating aninals. :biggrin:
Madelyn
Falafel is great. Ditto hummus.

Greek food is awesome, in terms of veggie food I would even rank it above Italian, Indian and Mexican. What is everyone else's favourite veggie cuisine?
i'm a semi-veggie person. apart from veggie, only eat seafood and chicken and nuts.
Reply 30
I love indian food as there is so much choice - well I guess i'm biased since I am indian. There is much more to it that baltis and chicken tikka masalas etc. India is soo big and all the states have their own cuisines but most restaurants tend to serve just Punjabi style food - theres South Indian (mainly rice based foods - Dosas (savoury pancakes), idlis, utappams etc) and Gujarati cuisine (chapattis, daal and dry curries) too!
Reply 31
Our logo - is that ok - I know its very small.
Reply 32
Falguni
I love indian food as there is so much choice - well I guess i'm biased since I am indian. There is much more to it that baltis and chicken tikka masalas etc. India is soo big and all the states have their own cuisines but most restaurants tend to serve just Punjabi style food - theres South Indian (mainly rice based foods - Dosas (savoury pancakes), idlis, utappams etc) and Gujarati cuisine (chapattis, daal and dry curries) too!

omg your making me hungry!
yummy food :biggrin:
i find veggie amazing... i couldn't do it... yeesh i get ill since i eat red meat less in a week lmfao
mind you i didn't even know what a vegetarian was till a few years ago.. were i used to like it was a little welsh village... with butchers... and people who still had the best hanging...
lmao.. sorry for rambling.. a little random today
Falguni
Our logo - is that ok - I know its very small.

well it's supposed to be small anyway. :biggrin:
looks pretty to me.

*proud veggie*
Reply 35
Can I join? Pleaaase :biggrin:

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Vegetarianism was something I was born into...Being a Hindu and that too a Gujarati.
Reply 36
I'd like to join :smile: I'd say I'm SEMI-veggie.

I used to not eat any meat/fish but then decided i couldn't live without tuna or salmon.
If i have a moment of weakness i'll eat that KFC Popcorn Chicken. Otherwise i haven't eaten anything else meat-like since becoming veggie about 4/5 years ago.
One day i'll go veggie cold-turkey (lol, you know what i mean i hope) but atm if i dont eat any fish or anything i feel really weak and have no energy, so i'll wait a while probably. :smile:
Reply 37
Brown Eyed Girl
i find veggie amazing... i couldn't do it... yeesh i get ill since i eat red meat less in a week lmfao
mind you i didn't even know what a vegetarian was till a few years ago.. were i used to like it was a little welsh village... with butchers... and people who still had the best hanging...
lmao.. sorry for rambling.. a little random today

You can be an Honorary Non-veggie if you'd like!
Reply 38
I'm an lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Not really a moral statement though, because i dont actually like eggs and im allergic to milk. I've been a vegetarian for about 7-8 years and could never ever go back!
I'm a vegetarian!! Ooh I like other ones... I don't know many...:frown:

Quick Reply