The Student Room Group

The Tier 4 applicants chat thread and FAQ *read the first post*

TSR TIER 4 GUIDE
Note this is just a guide and is meant to assist you in filling out your application. This is not a replacement for the official tier 4 guidance or the UKBA website. All information should be checked before you submit your application. Also, if you notice any information that is incorrect or out of date please let me know.
A Step by Step Guide to the Process

1You receive your conditional letter from your school

2 then you receive your unconditional letter at which time you should receive your CAS number. (see CAS section for details)

3 Next, you should fill out an online or handwritten application (depending upon your country) at the UKBA website. You must apply no earlier than 3 months in advance of your proposed start date (this date should be listed on your Unconditional offer or CAS letter).

4 When you finish doing the application you will schedule an appointment to get your biometrics. If you are filling out your application online you will schedule your biometrics at the end of the application.
MAKE SURE TO BRING YOUR APPOINTMENT CONFIRMATION SHEET AND PASSPORT TO YOUR BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT they will stamp this and you will have to include it with the rest of your documents.

5 you will have to turn in your documents (either by mail or in person depending where you live) within two weeks of your biometrics appointment (see Where to Apply)

-Document Checklist:
•printed VAF9 application letter or handwritten VAF9 form (depending on where you are applying from)
Appendix 8 form 9 (handwritten)
stamped biometrics form
CAS number (note the CAS number is an electronic document and a hardcopy is not needed)
Any original documents used for your acceptance to the school (transcripts, award certificates, etc)
proof of funds bank statement or a letter from your bank confirming funds for 28 days and dated no later than 30 days before you apply (pay) for your application. (see proof of funds section for details)
passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm) of you against a light background taken withing the last 6 months (you can get it at cvs or walgreens) Photos are recommended to be glued to the application.
current and all previous passports
I recommend [also] sending photocopies of all original documents if you need to get them back

if you submit it in person usually they process your visa within a day but if you post them its about 10-15 business days (see processing times),
you can also post them through a visa services agency such as travisa or worldbridge and receive it within 24-36 hours for a fee.

TIER 4 GENERAL OVERVIEW

PBS TIER 4
As an international student (non EEA/Swiss) student coming to study a full-time course of more than 6 months you must obtain Entry Clearance (a visa) under Tier 4 (General) Student before coming to the UK to start your course. If you do not have Entry Clearance when you arrive, you will not be allowed to enter the UK.

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) requires you to be formally sponsored by a licensed UK higher education institution. Once your offer to study is unconditional (you have met all academic and financial conditions) the University will contact you by email about the preparation of your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). This is a unique number which will enable UKBA officers to access information which your College and the University has provided.

You will need to claim all 40 points in order to have an application accepted. They are as follows:

30- Doing a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (also known as sponsorship)

Evidence needed
A confirmation of acceptance for studies reference number issued by your approved education provider, and the documents used to obtain it.

10- Having enough money to cover your course fees and living costs (also known as maintenance)

Evidence needed
Bank statement or letter confirming that you have enough money to cover your course fees and living costs for a given period (see 'Money needed' below).
You must be able to prove that the money has been available in your account for 28 days before the date when you apply.

CAS

If your Tier 4 sponsor has assessed your qualifications in order to assign your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS), you must send us these qualifications with your application. For each qualification listed, you must provide:

the original certificate(s) of qualification; or
the original transcript of results.

We will not accept provisional certificates.

Each certificate of qualification must be the original (not a copy), and must clearly show:

your name;
-the title of the award;
-the date of the award; and
-the name of the awarding institution.

Each transcript of results must be the original (not a copy), and must clearly show:

-your name;
-the academic institution's name;
-the course title; and
-confirmation of the award.

You will need to know what evidence your Tier 4 sponsor has included on your CAS, so that you can include it with your application. You must get this information directly from your Tier 4 sponsor before you apply. We will not provide this information to you.

There are additional requirements if you are applying to study a course that requires an ATAS clearance certificate, or if you are a postgraduate doctor or dentist.

Money needed
The money that you need includes course fees and monthly living costs. The monthly living costs needed depends on where you are studying and how long.

Nine months or less
Inner London
-Full course fees and £800 for each calendar month of the course

Outside inner London
-Full course fees and £600 for each calendar month of the course

More than nine months
Inner London
-First year of course fees and £7,200 to cover living costs for nine months

Outside inner London
-First year of course fees and £5,400 to cover living costs for nine months

Proof of Funds

Evidence of money already paid to your education provider

Spoiler

Evidence of an official financial sponsor or government sponsor

Spoiler

Evidence of money that is available to you - general principles

Spoiler

Evidence of money that is available to you - acceptable documents

Spoiler

If you are using money held by your parent(s) or legal guardian

Spoiler

If a student is using overseas currency, they will expect him/her to show (write on their application form) the closing balance in pounds sterling. They use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website, which can be found at www.oanda.com/convert/classic. Some acceptable ways of converting foreign currency include writing on the application, writing on the statement, or attaching a printout from OANDA of the conversion.

For more details check the tier 4 policy guidance

English Language Requirement
Your education provider must ensure that you are competent in English at a minimum of CEFR level B1, unless:

-your course is at or above level 6 of the revised National Qualifications Framework (equivalent to a UK
-bachelor's degree); or
-your course is a foundation degree; or
-your course is a pre-sessional course that you will take before taking a degree course in the UK; or
-you are a government-sponsored student who wants to study an English language course; or
-you are a national of a majority English-speaking country.

If you want to study an English language course, you must still meet the English language requirement.

What is a majority English-speaking country?

Spoiler

For more details on what is require to show the English Language Competence please look over the UKBA section on the English Requirement.

Length of stay

Main course of study 12 months or more
-The full length of the course plus four months after the end of the course

Main course of study
-The full length of the course plus two months after the end of the course

For other course lengths view the tier 4 guidance or UKBA website

Working while you are in the UK
During your stay, you will be allowed to:
work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during term-time;
work full-time during vacations;
do a work placement as part of your course;
work as a postgraduate doctor or dentist (if your course of study is a recognised Foundation Programme); and
be a student union sabbatical officer for up to two years.

Refusals
If your application is refused you may request an appeal if you feel an error has been made in the visa process. This does not include errors that you made.

If you have made an error and your application has been refused you pay and go through the entire process again.

Top ten things to know about applying for Tier 4
1 All the documents you send with your application must be original. This includes sending your original passport with the application.
2 If you do not send the full set of original documents as required, the Visa Application Section will not contact you to ask for the right ones and will refuse your application.
! You must make sure that you get the application right first time.
3 Your CAS number needs only to be written on your Appendix 8 application form. There is no requirement for an original letter which confirms your CAS number. Your CAS will be sent to you by email, to the email address you have given on your application to the University.
4 When preparing your application and arranging the documents you need, you should check they are consistent with the Tier 4 Guidance. This is available at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/ Tier4migrantguidance1.pdf
5 If you submit your application in-person at a Visa Application Centre, please be aware that the officer does not check the validity of the documents. They simply accept the application as you have given it to them and pass it to an Entry Clearance Officer for a decision.
6 The application fee outside of the UK is currently 199GBP for each application.
7 You can only apply for your visa in a country of which you are a national or where you are legally resident.
8 You should apply in plenty of time for your visa: at least one month, but not more than three months in advance. You can check your British Embassy/High Commission’s application turnaround times at: www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes
9 Dependants: If a visa is required you should complete a separate application form for each dependant and pay a separate fee (199GBP).
10 If you are a dual national and have an EU/EEA or Swiss passport in addition to your non-EEA passport, we strongly recommend that you use your EU/EEA/Swiss passport to enter the UK. In doing so, you will not need to arrange a visa.

Links

Tier 4 (General) application form

PBS Appendix 8 General Student self assessment form

Tier 4 Policy Guidance

hot to apply ukvisa.gov.uk

Photo Guidance

Tier 4 Online Points Calculator

UK Border Agency

Tier 4 help text

Biometrics Enrollment Details

online tier 4 application
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have a lot of dumb questions about this Visa process and I'm sure you all do too.

First question - where does it actually say that we can't apply more than 3 months before the course start date? I haven't found anything saying this, even though that is what everyone keeps telling me. Will they reject the application if it is made more than 3 months in advance? I mean, I have no problem waiting but I'd prefer to get it over with!
Also another really dumb nitpicky question - the visa letter from my school has a slight mistake. They listed my previous qualification as a B.A. even though on my transcript (which I am also supposed to supply, I understand) my previous qualification is actually a B.Des. Should i ask them to fix it and send me another one or is it not going to make a difference? They got my previous school's name right at least so at least that part is consistent!
Reply 3
kittensmittens
Also another really dumb nitpicky question - the visa letter from my school has a slight mistake. They listed my previous qualification as a B.A. even though on my transcript (which I am also supposed to supply, I understand) my previous qualification is actually a B.Des. Should i ask them to fix it and send me another one or is it not going to make a difference? They got my previous school's name right at least so at least that part is consistent!

I'm not sure how to answer the OP.
But, ask them to fix this.
You never know what ridiculous reason they'll choose to reject your visa application.
Reply 4
kittensmittens
I have a lot of dumb questions about this Visa process and I'm sure you all do too.

First question - where does it actually say that we can't apply more than 3 months before the course start date? I haven't found anything saying this, even though that is what everyone keeps telling me. Will they reject the application if it is made more than 3 months in advance? I mean, I have no problem waiting but I'd prefer to get it over with!

It says so somewhere here on this site:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

Sometime ago I dug around for a while and found it, but no longer recall where specifically on the site it is. Also multiple people at my university in the uk have said that indeed we cannot apply prior to 90 days
Students please note:
Students should not apply for their visa more than three months in advance of the start of their course. Students cannot enter the UK more than one month before the start of their course (one week for students studying for less than six months). It is, therefore, important that your letter of acceptance from your school or university provides details of the start date and the length of the course.

https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Content.aspx?Tag=HowDoIApply_PAGE
Reply 6
So the money for my education is held in a special fund which cannot be accessed before August 1. Will I be able to apply for my visa before then? Or will I need to wait until after then because the account is in trust?
Reply 7
KirstyK
So the money for my education is held in a special fund which cannot be accessed before August 1. Will I be able to apply for my visa before then? Or will I need to wait until after then because the account is in trust?

Is the trust in your name? Are you jointly named on the trust?
If you are named on the trust, then I think you should be able to apply, if not, then from what I understand you would not be able to satisfy the requirement of funds in your name. I would highly recommend contacting someone at the UK consulate/Visa section in Canada about this.
la fille danse
Students please note:
Students should not apply for their visa more than three months in advance of the start of their course. Students cannot enter the UK more than one month before the start of their course (one week for students studying for less than six months). It is, therefore, important that your letter of acceptance from your school or university provides details of the start date and the length of the course.

https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Content.aspx?Tag=HowDoIApply_PAGE

You only get this message if you pick certain countries (eg. USA). If you pick Canada you don't get it...so maybe its not the same in every country? But either way, July 12 is 3 months before my course start date and it will probably take me a little while to get my bank stuff together anyways so might as well wait until then!

Also under "evidence used to asses student's ability to finish course" on my Visa letter it says "IELTS not required - native English speaker." Will immigration want *proof* of this as well the same way they want proof of my previous qualification? (how would one *prove* that they're a native English speaker?)
kittensmittens
You only get this message if you pick certain countries (eg. USA). If you pick Canada you don't get it...so maybe its not the same in every country? But either way, July 12 is 3 months before my course start date and it will probably take me a little while to get my bank stuff together anyways so might as well wait until then!

Also under "evidence used to asses student's ability to finish course" on my Visa letter it says "IELTS not required - native English speaker." Will immigration want *proof* of this as well the same way they want proof of my previous qualification? (how would one *prove* that they're a native English speaker?)

The fact that you (presumably) have a Canadian passport and (presumably) Canadian qualifications is proof.
Am getting my visa stuff together now.

I hate to break it down so simply, but the website just takes you around in circles, so I'm going to do just that.

For a Tier 4 Visa (for Americans, if there are any others here!) - we need:

- The letter from our university stating that we'll be attending there and the included information.

- Bank information stating how we're going to survive over there.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Do we not have to have any information regarding our flights there and back? I feel like usually with visas they require this sort of information, but I see nothing...
hamsterhavoc

I hate to break it down so simply, but the website just takes you around in circles, so I'm going to do just that.

- The letter from our university stating that we'll be attending there and the included information.

Do we not have to have any information regarding our flights there and back? I feel like usually with visas they require this sort of information, but I see nothing...

I don't *think* you require flight information - but can someone confirm this? They will probably want to know the date you are arriving...but if you don't know the exact date yet you can probably estimate.

In addition to your Visa letter, you will need to show evidence of the documents you used to obtain a visa letter. eg. if it says on your Visa letter that you have a previous qualification that they assessed you on the basis of (eg. a high school diploma or a previous degree), then you will need to show an original certificate or transcript for that qualification.
la fille danse
The fact that you (presumably) have a Canadian passport and (presumably) Canadian qualifications is proof.

That I do!
hamsterhavoc

No, they specifically advise you NOT to book any flights until you've received your visa, since they can't guarantee your visa arriving by the time you want to fly. They do ask for the date you want to fly.

Also, if on your visa letter it says "Evidence used to assess student's ability to finish the course" and there are some qualifications listed, you have to send the original certificates for those qualifications.

And if it says "ATAS certificate Required" you have to get and send one with your application.
Thanks Kittensmittens and la fille danse!

So I just need my Uni transcripts as well and I should be set.

I find it weird that they say not to book flights until after you have your visa... I don't think it's going to be feasible to wait that long. They tell you not to apply for your visa until about 2.5 months before you are going. And actually getting the visa is going to take a significant amount of time. Tickets are going to be monstrous. The whole timeline of this process is rather confusing...

Also do you happen to know if the visa people are sticklers about whether or not the transcripts are in signed sealed envelopes, or will a simple official copy suffice?
hamsterhavoc
Thanks Kittensmittens and la fille danse!

So I just need my Uni transcripts as well and I should be set.

I find it weird that they say not to book flights until after you have your visa... I don't think it's going to be feasible to wait that long. They tell you not to apply for your visa until about 2.5 months before you are going. And actually getting the visa is going to take a significant amount of time. Tickets are going to be monstrous. The whole timeline of this process is rather confusing...

Also do you happen to know if the visa people are sticklers about whether or not the transcripts are in signed sealed envelopes, or will a simple official copy suffice?

You can apply for your Visa 3 months before your course start date. I've actually heard it doesn't take that long. According to the worldbridge site, as long as you have all the required info it should take them around 5 business days to process it after you get your biometrics done. I just don't know how long you have to wait for your biometrics appointment after you submit your application...but either way I would be very surprised if the whole process took longer than a month. And you can definitely still get decently-priced tickets 2 months before you travel, if you know where to look of course :p: London is the easiest place in Europe to get cheap flights to.
About the transcript thing...I don't *think* they would care about this (they're not going to be scrutinizing your grades!), but if someone can confirm that would be great.

EDIT: Off topic, but I recommend www.momondo.com for cheap flights. I just typed in Toronto-London one-way on Sept 12 and was able to find a ticket for 420$ CAD (!) with Air Transat
Reply 16
Hey guys!

So I have couple of questions as I don't find that website of theirs very helpful.
Firstly is it okay to use a joint foreign currency account (the account was originally my mum's but I have a permission to use it) as a proof of your maintenance founds if you are an adult student?

Secondly, when applying for a student visa apart from Appendix 8 General Student self assessment form which form should I fill out?

Under General Student FAQ they point out to PBS Migrant VAF9 but it starts with questions about highly skilled migrant and that confuses me because I am going to study undergraduate level and I am certainly not highly skilled.

Then there is something they call Tier 4 application form, but it asks for UK correspondence address, UK insurance number and identity card for foreign nationals so I assume that one is for people asking for extension?

And then there is Prospective Student VAF3A but it is listed under non points based system so I am really confused.

Anyone knows?

Thanks!
@KittensMittens -- Thanks for the travel link! I'll have to have a look at that. You've reassured me about the whole visa process. My biometrics appointment isn't until the middle of July which is why I'm a bit antsy about the whole thing. I appreciate your help! :smile:
hamsterhavoc
@KittensMittens -- Thanks for the travel link! I'll have to have a look at that. You've reassured me about the whole visa process. My biometrics appointment isn't until the middle of July which is why I'm a bit antsy about the whole thing. I appreciate your help! :smile:

Not a problem!...but wait, have you've already submitted your application and got your appointment? Is there an extremely long wait to get an appointment? I'm worried since it seems I can't submit mine until July 12 since my course starts on October 12...but what if I don't get an appointment until weeks after that? I want to travel in mid Sept. since my accommodation contract starts then and I want to have a few weeks just to get used to a new city!
Moon86
Hey guys!

So I have couple of questions as I don't find that website of theirs very helpful.
Firstly is it okay to use a joint foreign currency account (the account was originally my mum's but I have a permission to use it) as a proof of your maintenance founds if you are an adult student?

Secondly, when applying for a student visa apart from Appendix 8 General Student self assessment form which form should I fill out?

Under General Student FAQ they point out to PBS Migrant VAF9 but it starts with questions about highly skilled migrant and that confuses me because I am going to study undergraduate level and I am certainly not highly skilled.

Then there is something they call Tier 4 application form, but it asks for UK correspondence address, UK insurance number and identity card for foreign nationals so I assume that one is for people asking for extension?

And then there is Prospective Student VAF3A but it is listed under non points based system so I am really confused.

Anyone knows?

Thanks!

Its okay to use a joint account as long as you're named as one of the account holders. Some people are also saying that it is okay to use your parents' account if they write a letter saying they will support you...but I would verify this.

In terms of which form you should fill out - depending on which country you are from you may be able to apply online, which should make the whole process much easier and simpler methinks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending