The Student Room Group

Philosophy or Business Studies?

Okay, so I decided I'm dropping Computing and taking something else up, but I'm stuck between Philosophy and Business Studies. Whatever i take out of these two will be my AS.

I'm taking Chemistry, Biology and English Literature, and so need to choose out of those two. I got 8 A's, 4 B's and a D (French xD) in my GCSE's.

So, what do you guys think would be the best option?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did philosophy, and it was sorta hard work - learning loads of opinions, learning to argue, and needing to be good at writing essays. I came out with a B, after being predicted an A (note: do lots of revision), but the exam isn't that hard as you can kinda waffle a bit and just argue back and forth in essays.

...and sorry but I've no idea what Business Studies is like.
Reply 2
Well what do you want to do?
Reply 3
Ice_Queen
Well what do you want to do?

That's the point, I'm not sure :s-smilie:

I think philosophy would be more interesting than Business Studies, but I'm afraid it would be for difficult for me, or take up too much time, as my other AS's are hard already.
Pancake_Man
That's the point, I'm not sure :s-smilie:

I think philosophy would be more interesting than Business Studies, but I'm afraid it would be for difficult for me, or take up too much time, as my other AS's are hard already.

Philosophy is fun and a pretty easy A level. Business is boring. Go with Phil.
If you did Business Studies GCSE then the A-Level is easy. Don't know about Philosophy.
Reply 6
The Boney King of Nowhere
Philosophy is fun and a pretty easy A level. Business is boring. Go with Phil.

Easy?!

Philosophy is definitely fun, but I think it can be rather hard at times. The questions are often ambiguous and there is a lot to cover, as well as being able to form a cohesive argument.

I would recommend it over Business Studies but in my opinion at least, it's not one you can doss.
It really depends what you want to do alter in life.
I personally think that broadly philosophy is far more useful, but if Business Studies might help you in something you specifically want to do later...?
Reply 8
I haven't done business studies so i cant help you with that but i did/do philosophy and yes it can be very hard and frustrating at times. the good thing is there isn't much homework and no coursework, but you do have to revise revise revise come exam time. what i suggest though is doing a spider diagram for every topic! :smile:
maddieeeee
Easy?!

Philosophy is definitely fun, but I think it can be rather hard at times. The questions are often ambiguous and there is a lot to cover, as well as being able to form a cohesive argument.

I would recommend it over Business Studies but in my opinion at least, it's not one you can doss.

Well of course I'm only talking about my own personal experience but it's certainly a far less demanding A level than say Physics or Maths, and even some other arts subjects are more challenging, I found it to be easier than both English and History.
Pancake_Man
Okay, so I decided I'm dropping Computing and taking something else up, but I'm stuck between Philosophy and Business Studies. Whatever i take out of these two will be my AS.

I'm taking Chemistry, Biology and English Literature, and so need to choose out of those two. I got 8 A's, 4 B's and a D (French xD) in my GCSE's.

So, what do you guys think would be the best option?

I strongly advise that you embark on the philosophy course.

First and foremost, it is very interesting and broadens ones' horizons and makes one think beyond the scope of thinking held by society. If you are a person who delights in gaining new knowledge and becoming extremely intelligent and clever, such as I am, then philosophy will encourage one to research more into different aspects of life etc.

Secondly, philosophy is deemed a 'traditional' subject, whereas Business Studies, as opposed to its familial subject Economics, is not classed as a 'traditional' subject, I think.

'Traditional' subjects give one more of an advantage in university applications than non-traditional ones.

Furthermore, and last of all, I have recently commenced the A2 course and I do think that it is highly interesting, not to mention the refreshing set text of Nietzsche.
Philosophy of the mind will be particularly interesting in A2, as you only touch on a small part of it in AS.

Take philosophy - it will be of more value and worth, not just to your overall life, but in your university appplications (that is, presuming you achieve good, if not top marks in the exams! :grin:)

P.S. I also recommend that you inform yourself of both specifications in both subjects and ask of others opinions, as you so rightly do now, and then finally make an informed and confident decision.

By the way, the school year is under way now, no? Does your college allow you to choose subjects this late?
Sovr'gnChancellor£
. If you are a person who delights in gaining new knowledge and becoming extremely intelligent and clever, such as I am, then philosophy will encourage one to research more into different aspects of life etc.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Reply 12
Sovr'gnChancellor£
I strongly advise that you embark on the philosophy course.

First and foremost, it is very interesting and broadens ones' horizons and makes one think beyond the scope of thinking held by society. If you are a person who delights in gaining new knowledge and becoming extremely intelligent and clever, such as I am, then philosophy will encourage one to research more into different aspects of life etc.

Secondly, philosophy is deemed a 'traditional' subject, whereas Business Studies, as opposed to its familial subject Economics, is not classed as a 'traditional' subject, I think.

'Traditional' subjects give one more of an advantage in university applications than non-traditional ones.

Furthermore, and last of all, I have recently commenced the A2 course and I do think that it is highly interesting, not to mention the refreshing set text of Nietzsche.
Philosophy of the mind will be particularly interesting in A2, as you only touch on a small part of it in AS.

Take philosophy - it will be of more value and worth, not just to your overall life, but in your university appplications (that is, presuming you achieve good, if not top marks in the exams! :grin:)

P.S. I also recommend that you inform yourself of both specifications in both subjects and ask of others opinions, as you so rightly do now, and then finally make an informed and confident decision.

By the way, the school year is under way now, no? Does your college allow you to choose subjects this late?

It's only the second week for my Sixth Form. And tomorrow is the last day I can change, so I really only have tonight to make the decision :s-smilie:

Something that puts me off though, is the definition given in the prospectus, it talks a lot about religion. Does that mean it is like Religious Education?

And thanks for the opinions, keep them coming please :smile: Appreciated!
Reply 13
Pancake_Man
It's only the second week for my Sixth Form. And tomorrow is the last day I can change, so I really only have tonight to make the decision :s-smilie:

Something that puts me off though, is the definition given in the prospectus, it talks a lot about religion. Does that mean it is like Religious Education?

I did philosophy A level. It's tricky. The word I would use is challegening rather than hard. If you don't put the effort in you won't get the best you can out of it. You gotta 'put in to get out' essentially. I enjoyed it. You gotta be prepared to discuss and have your view challenged and occasionally having to argue from positions you don't necessarily agree with. There are relgious elements in the course but far from being based upon religon. I guess it all depends on your exam board and specification really. Some bits were more interesting than others but you'll have that with any subject! I'd totally recommend Philosophy but then I'm biased (as I'm reading it at uni). It's your choice st the end of the day.

Hope that helps!
Reply 14
philosophy is fun and a lot more interesting, different people found different topics in it harder or easier than others, but virtually everyone liked it. business is easy if you're good at just memorising stuff out of a textbook but it is sooooo boring i gave up going to lessons in the end and almost everyone else found it boring too. seriously, i'd recommend philosophy, business was horrendous!
Reply 15
Without meaning to state the obvious, the difficulty of A-Level Philosophy is heavily dependent on what modules your tutor chooses for you.

Ethics is easy, but if you have to read Marx & Engels' 'The German Ideology' than LORD HATH MERCY UPON YOUR SOUL.
:afraid:

I'd do (well I already did, 4 years ago) Philosophy, mainly because I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to Business Studies...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
El Nombre
Without meaning to state the obvious, the difficulty of A-Level Philosophy is heavily dependent on what modules your tutor chooses for you.

Ethics is easy, but if you have to read Marx & Engels' 'The German Ideology' than LORD HATH MERCY UPON YOUR SOUL.
:afraid:

I'd do (well I already did, 4 years ago) Philosophy, mainly because I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to Business Studies...

Okay, so general consensus is Philosophy is interesting, Business is boring :P I think I'm swaying to Philosophy! How much more workload is there compared to Business? As in, I will take one of those up anyway, so how much more work would I be doing for Philosophy?
Reply 17
I did A-Level Philosophy, English Literature, History and German, and with the exception of German, all the others had pretty much the same workload.

The coursework was a bit different, I know that with AQA you have timed essay (with prep notes).
The Boney King of Nowhere
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why is that so amusing?

You seem to have read the sentence wrongly.

I did not claim that I am extremely clever and intelligent. I simply said that I AM THE ONE who delights in becoming extremely intelligent etc...

Not so amusing, now?
Pancake_Man

It is not religion that if focuses on - mainly existence of God etc.

Religion would be more focussed on in RS, not philosophy.

Latest