The Student Room Group

If I eat normally, but still go to the gym, will I get a better body?

Basically, i'm 9 stone now, which reminds me, need to change my sig. Im 5ft 8, so im bordering on underweight. However, im still quite, frumpy I think's the right word. Under my skin I can still feel the fat particles, which is really bad. It affects what I wear, I only wear certain things, which don't make my "man boobs" so pronounced. Anywho.

Basically, at the moment im eating about 1450 calories a day, along with exercise to lose weight. But, at 9 stone, I think i've probably done enough, and my parents are getting really worried. But. Im still not happy with my body. I still look frumpy.

What do I do? If I up my calorie intake to 2000ish, and just eat normally, and try to sustain my weight, will my body stay the same, despite going to the gym? Or, will my body get progressively better over time?

The problem is, I need to be able to see them changes sharpish, because at the moment, I hang on losing weight, and if I don't lose it, I get distraught.

My current workout is quite disjointed to be honest. This is what i'm doing at the moment, please dont take the mic too bad, I know it's not good.

Weights: (I always do weights first)

4 sets of 6 bench pressing. (Challenging weight)
4 sets of 6 arm fly's (Challenging weight)
2 sets of 6 powerlifting (Challenging weight)
2 sets of 8 bicep curls

6 sets of 6 on the pectoral machine
4 sets of 6 on the chest press machine
3 sets of 6 on the lateral pulldown machine

Cardio:

30 minutes running. (Anyway to me it is. Pace of about 10.8km. Not that fast I know)
Depends really. Sometimes I spend more time on the treadmill, like 40 minutesish. Or.
20 minutes cross trainer.

Cardio, I don't focus on time, it's calories burnt. I usually do 440-500 according to the machines. That's not on each. That's between the crosstrainer and the treadmill.

I go to the gym 3 times a week. Then 3 other days, I do 1hr on an exercise bike. I have one day rest, a saturday.
Reply 1
Right you need to make a decision: toning/muscle building or weight loss you cannot do both.

If you want weight loss then eat less and do cardio, although 1500 calories is too low, eat regular meals (3 times a day) that total 2000 calories plus: this speeds up your metabolism and helps weight loss surprisingly.

If you want a better body then you want to be doing lots of weights, with some cardio, and you want to eat a lot more ( it is easier to turn fat into muscle than nothing into muscle) also up your protein with shakes or something. This is just a general view, everyones bodies work differently.

If you want a general improvement in everything check out the british army website and their fitness guides; simple and cheap and effective.

On the downside improving your body takes time and the key is sticking at it, there is no quick fix that is legal or healthy. Put in the hours and you will see improvement, plus it normally becomes addictive and a habit so you do it more and keep on improving.
Reply 2
I'm not a troll.
Reply 3
Original post by Oh_Mighty_One

The problem is, I need to be able to see them changes sharpish, because at the moment, I hang on losing weight, and if I don't lose it, I get distraught.

Common English error I see right here, you 'want' to see changes sharpish, 'need' has nothing to do with it. However, if you get distraught about something as silly as seeing ultra-fast results then you 'need' to get some perspective (and genuine adult issues).
Reply 4
Basically, i'm 9 stone now, which reminds me, need to change my sig. Im 5ft 8, so im bordering on underweight. However, im still quite, frumpy I think's the right word. Under my skin I can still feel the fat particles, which is really bad. It affects what I wear, I only wear certain things, which don't make my "man boobs" so pronounced. Anywho.

Basically, at the moment im eating about 1450 calories a day, along with exercise to lose weight. But, at 9 stone, I think i've probably done enough, and my parents are getting really worried. But. Im still not happy with my body. I still look frumpy.

What do I do? If I up my calorie intake to 2000ish, and just eat normally, and try to sustain my weight, will my body stay the same, despite going to the gym? Or, will my body get progressively better over time?

My current workout is quite disjointed to be honest. This is what i'm doing at the moment, please dont take the mic too bad, I know it's not good.

Weights: (I always do weights first)

4 sets of 6 bench pressing. (Challenging weight)
4 sets of 6 arm fly's (Challenging weight)
2 sets of 6 powerlifting (Challenging weight)
2 sets of 8 bicep curls

6 sets of 6 on the pectoral machine
4 sets of 6 on the chest press machine
3 sets of 6 on the lateral pulldown machine

Cardio:

30 minutes running. (Anyway to me it is. Pace of about 10.8km. Not that fast I know)
Depends really. Sometimes I spend more time on the treadmill, like 40 minutesish. Or.
20 minutes cross trainer.

Cardio, I don't focus on time, it's calories burnt. I usually do 440-500 according to the machines. That's not on each. That's between the crosstrainer and the treadmill.

I go to the gym 3 times a week. Then 3 other days, I do 1hr on an exercise bike. I have one day rest, a saturday.

Maybe!
Read the stickies.

You can thank me later.
Reply 6
Your underweight but you want to lose weight okay Lol!......you also have boobs....this is a joke right?
Reply 7
I went do the doctors. I don't have gyno. He just said "their common for my age." I hate them.

Sums up the arrogant t*ats on this forum, when two of the replies out of 10 are useful...
Reply 8
I went do the doctors. I don't have gyno. He just said "their common for my age." I hate them.

Sums up the arrogant t*ats on this forum, when two of the replies out of 10 are useful...

The only reply you need to pay attention to is "read the sticky's" that is all. Stop whining, read the sticky's then come back with specific questions. Jesus.
Reply 9
Your weights routine is a joke, get off machines, do compound lifts like, sqauats, military press, bench press, deadlifts, barbell rows, barbell curls

Get used to lifting your own bodyweight too, do dips and pull ups

And read the stickies
Reply 10
Original post by Supfresh.
The only reply you need to pay attention to is "read the sticky's" that is all. Stop whining, read the sticky's then come back with specific questions. Jesus.

You being a prime example of the arrogant t*ats part of my statement. If everything's on the stickies, whats the point in the forum?
Reply 11
You being a prime example of the arrogant t*ats part of my statement. If everything's on the stickies, whats the point in the forum?

To ask specific questions once you've read the stickies you moron.
Reply 12
Original post by c7.
Yes, eating the same and going to the gym will improve your body. But the better your diet the better and quicker results you will see.

Thankyou. Finally, an answer.
Reply 13
Original post by Supfresh.
To ask specific questions once you've read the stickies you moron.

This is a specific question jackass.

Quick Reply

Latest