The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Anyone applying to UCL without a language GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nucleo
Darn it, yes I am, but im fluent in 2 other languages in speaking and writing, and semi-fluent in another. I guess they definately want it on paper :/

If you're fluent in two languages you could always speak to your college/sixth form about sitting a GCSE and just explain the situation. I know a lot of sixth forms offer GCSEs anyway and it wouldn't be difficult at all, especially if you're fluent.
University College London, University of London
London
Original post by darkfang77

Personally, I visited UCL last week (not a open day), but it was enough. I don't know if I was particularly unlucky, but the students that I overheard talking extremely loudly sounded a little stuck up in the way of Oxbridge rejects, so that's had a negative impact on my desire to study there.

How can one sound like an Oxbridge reject?

Why do they have that requirement? I didn't have a clue it was just through random good fortune that I decided to pick GCSE Spanish when I was 15.

UCL is an amazing uni. Don't hate.
Reply 22
I'm in Year 11 atm but I just wanted to ask... Is it not really unfair to ask for a Language GCSE as entry requirement? English is my seccond language and I know my first language very well but there is no GCSE for it, which if there was, I'm sure would be very easy for me to get A* in.

Most people have no idea on where they will be applying for college when picking GCSEs let alone which University 3-4 years after. O.o
Reply 23
Original post by dada55
I'm in Year 11 atm but I just wanted to ask... Is it not really unfair to ask for a Language GCSE as entry requirement? English is my seccond language and I know my first language very well but there is no GCSE for it, which if there was, I'm sure would be very easy for me to get A* in.

Most people have no idea on where they will be applying for college when picking GCSEs let alone which University 3-4 years after. O.o

I'm sure if you tell UCL that you have a different first language, then it will be fine. Also you can talk to your school and ask them to enter you into an exam for your first language. I know of a couple of people who asked to be entered into a Punjabi exam as it was there first language even though it wasn't a time tabled option, and my school agreed to it. It's worth asking really.
Original post by cocci
I got a D in French GCSE (absolutely hated it). Anyway phoned up admissions (anthropology dept. where i'm applying) and asked if this would significantly hinder my application to them, they said it wasn't a problem, they are willing to accept people who have failed or do not possess a GCSE in an MFL if the rest of their application is strong enough; provided they complete the 0.5 unit language course once enrolled at the uni. I wouldn't be put off by applying over something as trivial as a piece of s**t MFL GCSE :smile:

You're applying for Anthropology, and you're calling languages subjects a 'piece of sh*t'? :rolleyes:

And, as it happens, language GCSEs are probably more relevant to your course than to most others outside MFL and literature subjects themselves...
Reply 25
Original post by Aprillee
I'm sure if you tell UCL that you have a different first language, then it will be fine. Also you can talk to your school and ask them to enter you into an exam for your first language. I know of a couple of people who asked to be entered into a Punjabi exam as it was there first language even though it wasn't a time tabled option, and my school agreed to it. It's worth asking really.

What I meant was that my language is not offered as a GCSE at all in England :frown:
Reply 26
i got an AA offer from UCL...but they asked a C or higher in a modern language....I'm doing French GCSE since last year with my school for the sixth formers that didn't do a language during GCSE, try doing a language....but I do know few kids that got offers from UCL that have done no languages...but I must emphasize on the few....email them and ask for the absolute right answer duo =)
Reply 27
Original post by Aprillee
If you're fluent in two languages you could always speak to your college/sixth form about sitting a GCSE and just explain the situation. I know a lot of sixth forms offer GCSEs anyway and it wouldn't be difficult at all, especially if you're fluent.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's just that im not sure whether they hold exams for them in the UK. One of mine is 'Hindi' which is the national lanuage of India and another is only spoken in a specific area in India, and I self-taught japanese but im no way near fluent... That's why iv'e not took the initiative :s-smilie:
Reply 28
Guys I don't think they care THAT much...
Chill and just apply.
Reply 29
i really wish i'd payed attention to my french GCSE now ... alwell you never know one might be lucky and get an offer anyway :smile:
Further to your application to study at UCL, I am writing to alert you to our Foreign Language requirement. All UK-based students who have studied in the UK are required to offer a foreign language (any language except Ancient Greek, Latin and Esperanto) to at least GCSE grade C or equivalent. This policy was introduced to reflect the importance UCL attaches to foreign language skills as a component of a broad and balanced education, and intercultural awareness.

From our initial assessment of your UCAS application we have noted that you are not offering this requirement. If this information has been omitted from your application, or if you have one of the following qualifications then please let us know: Asset Languages Intermediate Level Grades 7 – 9; OCR Certificate in Business Language Competence Level 2; Scottish Credit Standard Grade/Intermediate 2; International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme Language B Grades 4 -7; Edexcel NVQ Language Qualification Level 2; ABC Double Awards in Practical Languages Level 2.

We recognise that you may not meet these requirements at present because, for example, your school does not offer language examinations. If you are not offering a foreign language, please email a brief explanation, and ask your school to send a statement indicating whether or not the school offers foreign languages. This information will be considered after your application has been fully assessed by the selectors for your chosen programme. If we wish to make you an offer and your reasons for not offering a foreign language are approved, you will be offered alternative opportunities of learning a language and developing intercultural awareness. For example, you could take a half course unit in a foreign language as part of your degree programme, or study for a UCL certificate in a foreign language, or join an intensive summer language course run by UCL, prior to the start of your degree programme.

Kind regards

Diane

Diane Davis

Faculty Administration Assistant

Faculty of Engineering

Room 2.01

Engineering Front Building

Torrington Place

London

WC1E 7JE

I DONT KNOW HOW TO RESPOND HELPPP
Reply 31
Original post by roflcopter123
*Snip*

They've just told you what to do. Do you have any foreign language GCSE (Or other similar qualifications listed above? If not, why? Were you never offered this choice when at school? If so then tell UCL. Otherwise you're out of luck.
Original post by roflcopter123
Further to your application to study at UCL, I am writing to alert you to our Foreign Language requirement. All UK-based students who have studied in the UK are required to offer a foreign language (any language except Ancient Greek, Latin and Esperanto) to at least GCSE grade C or equivalent. This policy was introduced to reflect the importance UCL attaches to foreign language skills as a component of a broad and balanced education, and intercultural awareness.

From our initial assessment of your UCAS application we have noted that you are not offering this requirement. If this information has been omitted from your application, or if you have one of the following qualifications then please let us know: Asset Languages Intermediate Level Grades 7 – 9; OCR Certificate in Business Language Competence Level 2; Scottish Credit Standard Grade/Intermediate 2; International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme Language B Grades 4 -7; Edexcel NVQ Language Qualification Level 2; ABC Double Awards in Practical Languages Level 2.

We recognise that you may not meet these requirements at present because, for example, your school does not offer language examinations. If you are not offering a foreign language, please email a brief explanation, and ask your school to send a statement indicating whether or not the school offers foreign languages. This information will be considered after your application has been fully assessed by the selectors for your chosen programme. If we wish to make you an offer and your reasons for not offering a foreign language are approved, you will be offered alternative opportunities of learning a language and developing intercultural awareness. For example, you could take a half course unit in a foreign language as part of your degree programme, or study for a UCL certificate in a foreign language, or join an intensive summer language course run by UCL, prior to the start of your degree programme.

Kind regards

Diane

Diane Davis

Faculty Administration Assistant

Faculty of Engineering

Room 2.01

Engineering Front Building

Torrington Place

London

WC1E 7JE

I DONT KNOW HOW TO RESPOND HELPPP

I got this a few days ago and emailed them back, how did you respond?
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
I got this a few days ago and emailed them back, how did you respond?

I also got this email. I responded in effect blaming my school for not letting me study my desired language, and for the IB course collapsing. I then went on to explain I was half German hahahahha :colone:
Original post by aaronbenham
I also got this email. I responded in effect blaming my school for not letting me study my desired language, and for the IB course collapsing. I then went on to explain I was half German hahahahha :colone:

Dammit I should have said I was half italian!

Did you get an offer?
Reply 35
it said on the website language at grade C but i had a grade E and still got an offer, happy days :biggrin:
Original post by darkfang77

Personally, I visited UCL last week (not a open day), but it was enough. I don't know if I was particularly unlucky, but the students that I overheard talking extremely loudly sounded a little stuck up in the way of Oxbridge rejects, so that's had a negative impact on my desire to study there.

It's aiight man, you'd never get into UCL anyways.
Original post by Lewis :D
Question for my friend, does Welsh 2nd language full course GCSE count as an MFL?

I should think so :smile:
Original post by cl_steele
it said on the website language at grade C but i had a grade E and still got an offer, happy days :biggrin:

Ohh good that put me at ease a bit, because I've got a standard grade 5 which is probably the equivelant to a gcse D or E.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
It's aiight man, you'd never get into UCL anyways.

Good thing I don't want to anyway.

Got the offer too. So....
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest