The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5900
Original post by jayseanfan
What questions do you get asked at the OJE interview? I have never had a interview so I dont even know the standard interview questions.

Really need help.

Since people are saying your inbox is full, I'll put my reply here for you.

In your OJE (which you may not need to do, some stores don't do them despite saying so in the email) you will either be behind the till greeting customers or standing on dining area handing out balloons to kids. You shouldn't have to take any orders or put them together as that's not the point of the exercise, and it only lasts 15 minutes which isn't enough time to train you how to do that anyway. Just be confident and friendly to the customers, and make sure you take anything in that they may tell you.

As for the interview, I had mine 3 1/2 years ago so I can't exactly remember it! But it'll probably be questions like how do you work in a team, how would you react to a rude customer, and stuff from your application. It'd be a good idea to ask about training and the apprenticeship program if they ask you if you've got any questions at the end. Will show you're interested about the job and other aspects of it.

Original post by ChrisW123
Got the job:groovy:

Its full time , and I will be working 35hours a week. I now need to ask you a few questions :smile:

1) People have been saying that I will get paid min wage , but on the website it said £4.35. Which will I get paid? :tongue:
2) Are breaks paid for/how long are they?

(I can't wait to start =D)

Congrats!

If you're under 18, it'll be £4.35 rather than minimum wage for that age group. If you're over 18 it will be minimum wage for your age group.

To add to the answer about breaks - you get 30 minutes if you're working 5 hours or less, 45 minutes if you're working more than 5 hours but less than 10, and you get 45 + 30 minutes for shifts of 10 hours or more.
I've got a job interview at a Mcdonalds next week. I'm on a gap year, just wondering if I should tell the intervewer that I'm going to uni in September? Or would they not give me the job if I told them this?
Incase I do have to serve a customer what do I say (sorry i know it sounds stupid, just mcdonalds seem to be so specific)

"Hello, What would you like?"
Reply 5903
Incase I do have to serve a customer what do I say (sorry i know it sounds stupid, just mcdonalds seem to be so specific)

They should tell you how they'd like you to greet the customer. But they'll be expecting a two part greeting. So, a "Hi, how can I help?", "Good morning/afternoon, what can I get you today?", etc. What you've wrote would be fine too.
I have my OJE tomorrow, I mentioned before but what is the time period usually between the OJE and the welcome meeting I've seen people mention/starting work? I don't finish my current job technically until 3 weeks after the interview so slightly worried that'll put them off.. :/

Also what would be an appropriate question to ask? I'm a bit blank right now so you can imagine what I'd be like on the day.. haha.
Reply 5905

It won't be so much what you say it's more about how you say it, posture, body language etc.

My OJE involved walking around the dining area talking to customers about their visit. Was quite enjoyable, if not scary! Just try and be as confident as you can be.
Original post by SortYourLife
1. You'll start off on £4.35, slightly better than minimum range :tongue:

2. No breaks aren't paid, and they're 45 minutes

Good luck, it can be stressful at times, but its good fun at times :smile:

Thanks very much :tongue:
Original post by Ronda
Since people are saying your inbox is full, I'll put my reply here for you.

In your OJE (which you may not need to do, some stores don't do them despite saying so in the email) you will either be behind the till greeting customers or standing on dining area handing out balloons to kids. You shouldn't have to take any orders or put them together as that's not the point of the exercise, and it only lasts 15 minutes which isn't enough time to train you how to do that anyway. Just be confident and friendly to the customers, and make sure you take anything in that they may tell you.

As for the interview, I had mine 3 1/2 years ago so I can't exactly remember it! But it'll probably be questions like how do you work in a team, how would you react to a rude customer, and stuff from your application. It'd be a good idea to ask about training and the apprenticeship program if they ask you if you've got any questions at the end. Will show you're interested about the job and other aspects of it.

Congrats!

If you're under 18, it'll be £4.35 rather than minimum wage for that age group. If you're over 18 it will be minimum wage for your age group.

To add to the answer about breaks - you get 30 minutes if you're working 5 hours or less, 45 minutes if you're working more than 5 hours but less than 10, and you get 45 + 30 minutes for shifts of 10 hours or more.

And thank you very much (again):biggrin:

Original post by hallucinated
I have my OJE tomorrow, I mentioned before but what is the time period usually between the OJE and the welcome meeting I've seen people mention/starting work? I don't finish my current job technically until 3 weeks after the interview so slightly worried that'll put them off.. :/

Also what would be an appropriate question to ask? I'm a bit blank right now so you can imagine what I'd be like on the day.. haha.

Mine was 1 week after the OJE, and also I asked about promotions :dontknow:

But good luck:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5908

(If I'm not too late..) I had my interview on the Monday and my welcome meeting on the Friday. But a guy who started with us last month had had his interview/OJE in December, but couldn't make the welcome meeting because of exams. Due to our group not running any more welcome meetings over the Christmas period, he had to wait until mid-January before he could go to it and then start working.

As for a question, you could ask about training, how you can progress in the company or the apprenticeship program. I'm sure there could be a bunch of other things you could ask too!
Original post by ChrisW123

Mine was 1 week after the OJE, and also I asked about promotions :dontknow:

But good luck:tongue:

Original post by Ronda
(If I'm not too late..) I had my interview on the Monday and my welcome meeting on the Friday. But a guy who started with us last month had had his interview/OJE in December, but couldn't make the welcome meeting because of exams. Due to our group not running any more welcome meetings over the Christmas period, he had to wait until mid-January before he could go to it and then start working.

As for a question, you could ask about training, how you can progress in the company or the apprenticeship program. I'm sure there could be a bunch of other things you could ask too!

Thanks guys! I was thinking about promotions actually, in my current job I'm practically ASM so it will be weird to go to a role that isn't as responsible for things, but hopefully it'll show I'm capable and enthusiastic about staying with the company/progressing.

I guess if they were lenient about your friend and his exams then maybe if I can't make this welcome meeting it'll be ok to wait until the next? That's if I can't shift my shifts at the moment.. thanks for the advice guys!

EDIT: I'm intrigued as to why I was given negative rep for this post?!...
(edited 12 years ago)

mine was over a month after my interview, but that's because I was 16, but still in school so they don't let you start until July, when you've officially left school. So my interview was the start of May, my welcome meeting the end of June, to start training on the 1st of July. I suppose if you mention at the welcome meeting about your situation they won't mind, or will be flexible at least.
Aparently our store is the worst for checking McTime/ourlounge (well, not checking it as the case may be) in our group...

I'm like always on it :P
Reply 5912
I've got sad news to deliver, guys. Unfortunately, I've come to the decision that I will be leaving McDonald's as I have found another job closer to where I reside.

One day, I will return to McDonald's as it is by far the best company I've worked for, even though I disliked some of the managers there.
Reply 5913
Aaaargh, I've been told I got the holiday pay already (I went to my ex McDs yesterday) but when I checked online I saw a bunch of different payments made on a sunday (we got paid on thursday) and I have no idea where they're from.
My McTime stopped working a few weeks ago (I quit McDs in November) and the manager told me that I should get holiday pay after my McTime stopped working. I have about 16 quid from McDs on my recent transactions. And idea how to figure out which one is holiday pay? I have a random august pay slip and it shows 70 quid for holiday pay, by november it should've gone way up.
Reply 5914
Aparently our store is the worst for checking McTime/ourlounge (well, not checking it as the case may be) in our group...

McTime is so unreliable! Our ops consultant was wanting our BM to take the schedule off the wall as it's unneeded cause people should be using McTime. Maybe if it was actually reliable then people would.. Saying that, I'm also always on it..

Original post by Torrchy
Aaaargh, I've been told I got the holiday pay already (I went to my ex McDs yesterday) but when I checked online I saw a bunch of different payments made on a sunday (we got paid on thursday) and I have no idea where they're from.
My McTime stopped working a few weeks ago (I quit McDs in November) and the manager told me that I should get holiday pay after my McTime stopped working. I have about 16 quid from McDs on my recent transactions. And idea how to figure out which one is holiday pay? I have a random august pay slip and it shows 70 quid for holiday pay, by november it should've gone way up.

Holiday pay is about 10% of your wages. So if you know how much you made in the time you were there, and calculate 10% of that, then you should have a figure for what your holiday pay should be. I have no idea how they sort out holiday pay after people leave, but if you don't see anything in your bank account, get a bank statement and take it into your old work which should be proof that you've not been paid it (or they can point out which of the transactions would have been your holiday pay).
Original post by nolhman.
I've got sad news to deliver, guys. Unfortunately, I've come to the decision that I will be leaving McDonald's as I have found another job closer to where I reside.

One day, I will return to McDonald's as it is by far the best company I've worked for, even though I disliked some of the managers there.

which branch was it?

I've been there for 1 months, & all my managers are horrible...they just shout at you even if you didn't do anything wrong, they think they're always right about everything & are very strict.

Not the best way to set up a fun environment between staff. So as you can guess, the atmosphere between crew members is so-so
Original post by Ronda
McTime is so unreliable! Our ops consultant was wanting our BM to take the schedule off the wall as it's unneeded cause people should be using McTime. Maybe if it was actually reliable then people would.. Saying that, I'm also always on it..

Haha ours is like that.... like one time the internet was down at work so no one could get on it... then most of the time it just doesnt work :P
Reply 5917

Apparently I was the worst offender in my store for using it :frown: I'd been on it 4x as much as the person in second place.
Blaming it on the fact that I had to reload it about five times for it to work though. :tongue:
Reply 5918
Managed to clear a lobby full of about 25 people, most of them drunk in about 4 minutes once we shut tonight. I felt like God, usually it takes much longer. Seems an assertive "it's midnight so were shut now, I can give you five minutes to finish up and make your way out" works quite well. :biggrin:

Had a really busy night though, up 15% on the days projections, with labour coming down from 23% or something to under 16% by the time we left. Must of been one of the busiest closes I've been on in a long time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5919
A manager at my work has recently left, and my BM has offered me the place. There is another crew trainer at work though who is kind of expecting to get the place. Last year, my old BM had put through a bunch of people for manager interviews, and he was one of them but didn't get it at the time. So now he's expecting to get it and keeps bugging my BM who keeps saying excuses and stuff to him. I just feel kinda bad, cause I know he's not going to get it for a while and he keeps moaning to me about wanting it and knowing I can't really say anything cause it's not my place really. Baaaah.

Latest

Trending

Trending