The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham

For some reason I feel kinda drawn to Nottingham despite not knowing much about it (apart from gun crime stats :/)

Can anyone studying there tell me about the uni/city/halls/anything? I'm particularly interested in sciences.

Thanks!! xx
I have an offer for nursing there at the moment so I have a little knowledge from open days etc. Whenever I've visited the uni everyone's been very friendly and it feels so easy going there (more so then other uni's) :smile:. I've only been to University Park campus but it's very pretty so I expect no less from the other campuses, I think with sciences you'd be based on Sutton Bonnington Campus so you might want to look into that. The website's really good for general stuff but I'm sure an actual student will be able to give you more information - just thought I'd try to help :smile:.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
For some reason I feel kinda drawn to Nottingham despite not knowing much about it (apart from gun crime stats :/)

Can anyone studying there tell me about the uni/city/halls/anything? I'm particularly interested in sciences.

Thanks!! xx

Not for Geography I hope (Nottingham's in the Midlands :p: )

Moved to University of Nottingham.
Reply 3

Thanks!! xx

Heya, I can tell you loadsssss but it would take forever to cover everything :p: is there anything a bit more specific you'd like to know? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DarkWhite
Heya, I can tell you loadsssss but it would take forever to cover everything :p: is there anything a bit more specific you'd like to know? :smile:

What is Nottingham like as i city? Is the nightlife dangerous or is it just old reputation?

Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by jacery1
What is Nottingham like as i city? Is the nightlife dangerous or is it just old reputation?

Thanks.

Nottingham's absolutely brilliant! There are fantastic events on all year round, day and night, lots of shopping and places to go for a drink and a bite to eat. Transport is quick and now very cheap for students - £1 single bus journeys everywhere. Everything's really accessible and there are some stunning attractions, from the castle to The Trip (oldest inn in England), from art galleries to theatres, and there's always fantastic events on at the Capital FM arena.

Nightlife is simply brilliant - one of the best cities for it. There's 3 official SU nights for UoN SU and a number for Trent SU, but you'll enjoy all the bars and clubs on any night of the week, entry is cheap, and so are drinks. Lots of bars to choose from, and I mean lots, most with cracking student deals! Dangerous? Far from it. I go out a fair bit and I've never once experienced more than a couple of people getting into a fight, and that's only happened a couple of times as well, but pretty standard. The city has an award for its safe nightlife actually - the colour's purple, but I can't remember the name of it.
Reply 6
nottingham is the best combination of a good degree and a great time you will find. are there academically better uni's in the uk? few but yeah, but life starts now and not when you graduate and you want these years to be the best so notts is the place for you
Reply 7
apart from gun crime stats :/

I wouldn't bother going to Nottingham if you intend on bringing statements like this one with you. It has just the same levels of crime as any other city of this size.
Original post by DarkWhite
Nottingham's absolutely brilliant! There are fantastic events on all year round, day and night, lots of shopping and places to go for a drink and a bite to eat. Transport is quick and now very cheap for students - £1 single bus journeys everywhere. Everything's really accessible and there are some stunning attractions, from the castle to The Trip (oldest inn in England), from art galleries to theatres, and there's always fantastic events on at the Capital FM arena.

Nightlife is simply brilliant - one of the best cities for it. There's 3 official SU nights for UoN SU and a number for Trent SU, but you'll enjoy all the bars and clubs on any night of the week, entry is cheap, and so are drinks. Lots of bars to choose from, and I mean lots, most with cracking student deals! Dangerous? Far from it. I go out a fair bit and I've never once experienced more than a couple of people getting into a fight, and that's only happened a couple of times as well, but pretty standard. The city has an award for its safe nightlife actually - the colour's purple, but I can't remember the name of it.

Original post by gunneroy
nottingham is the best combination of a good degree and a great time you will find. are there academically better uni's in the uk? few but yeah, but life starts now and not when you graduate and you want these years to be the best so notts is the place for you

Ah thanks for these, that's really helpful

Original post by scbond
I wouldn't bother going to Nottingham if you intend on bringing statements like this one with you. It has just the same levels of crime as any other city of this size.

I'm not from Nottingham and I've never been to the city, from researching I found stats abotu gun crime. I'm obviously not saying that I'm writing off Nottingham because of one thing I found on the internet. I think it's a valid concern :L But I agree, London is probably no better. Thanks for all the advice.
Reply 9
I'm not from Nottingham and I've never been to the city, from researching I found stats abotu gun crime. I'm obviously not saying that I'm writing off Nottingham because of one thing I found on the internet. I think it's a valid concern :L But I agree, London is probably no better. Thanks for all the advice.

London is no better?! London is much worse because of it's sheer population size and, amongst many other factors, it's transportation links. I can probably think of several similarly sized cities to Nottingham in the UK with higher crime rates. The gun crime statement about Nottingham is just a stereotype which has stuck due to one or two instances and a nickname like 'Shottingham'.
Original post by scbond
London is no better?! London is much worse because of it's sheer population size and, amongst many other factors, it's transportation links. I can probably think of several similarly sized cities to Nottingham in the UK with higher crime rates. The gun crime statement about Nottingham is just a stereotype which has stuck due to one or two instances and a nickname like 'Shottingham'.

Agreed, I live on the outskirts of London and go to Nottingham. My hometown is probably one of the safer areas of London and I find Nottingham miles safer/less intimidating.
Reply 11
Original post by BeccaAnne94
I have an offer for nursing there at the moment so I have a little knowledge from open days etc. Whenever I've visited the uni everyone's been very friendly and it feels so easy going there (more so then other uni's) :smile:. I've only been to University Park campus but it's very pretty so I expect no less from the other campuses, I think with sciences you'd be based on Sutton Bonnington Campus so you might want to look into that. The website's really good for general stuff but I'm sure an actual student will be able to give you more information - just thought I'd try to help :smile:.

How long after the interview did you find out you've got a place? I'm so nervous. Also are you at Park Campus or Derby?
Original post by Lissylass
How long after the interview did you find out you've got a place? I'm so nervous. Also are you at Park Campus or Derby?

I have an offer for child branch of the Masters course, I got an offer about a week after the visit day :smile:, I'll be at Park Campus. Which branch of nursing have you applied for? Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by BeccaAnne94
I have an offer for child branch of the Masters course, I got an offer about a week after the visit day :smile:, I'll be at Park Campus. Which branch of nursing have you applied for? Good luck! :biggrin:

Oh congrats! It's been over a week for me. I applied to do Adult Bsc at Derby. Keeping ym fingers crossed that no news is good news.

Quick Reply

Latest