The Student Room Group

blackheads

I'm riddled with them. I mean really - all over my nose, cheeks, chin....pretty much every pore.
I use blackhead scrub facial washes but they don't do a thing.
So then I end up sitting there and squeezing at them for hours, and make my entire face bright red and blotchy from me squeezing them, which then looks worse than if I hadn't squeezed them out in the first place...
...not to mention the fact that the next day all the blackheads are back again anyway.

any thoughts on how I can rid myself from these banes of my existence?

Scroll to see replies

I've had to deal with this before and I've gone through the same problem of the red, blotchy face *shudder*.

A basic tip is to wash your face with warm water at the end of the day. The pores will open due to the temperature and dirt can be removed easier.

A decent facial scrub is hard to find as it can depend on your individual skin, but use one that is not to harsh as you dont want to scrape the healthy skin away. If it tingles or stings then it's working too well. I've been using a Clear Skin blemish peel myself. It made a real difference for me personally.

Dont forget to moisturise. If your skin is not properly moisturised it will more than likely produce an excess of sebum and cause more blemish problems. The scrubs can dry skin out and make the problem worse.

If you really feel the need to squeeze them (though you probably shouldn't if possible), make sure you have clean finger nails at least to avoid spreading more bacteria.
Original post by Ladyliesel
I've had to deal with this before and I've gone through the same problem of the red, blotchy face *shudder*.

A basic tip is to wash your face with warm water at the end of the day. The pores will open due to the temperature and dirt can be removed easier.

A decent facial scrub is hard to find as it can depend on your individual skin, but use one that is not to harsh as you dont want to scrape the healthy skin away. If it tingles or stings then it's working too well. I've been using a Clear Skin blemish peel myself. It made a real difference for me personally.

Dont forget to moisturise. If your skin is not properly moisturised it will more than likely produce an excess of sebum and cause more blemish problems. The scrubs can dry skin out and make the problem worse.

If you really feel the need to squeeze them (though you probably shouldn't if possible), make sure you have clean finger nails at least to avoid spreading more bacteria.

Well I wash my face in the morning with warm water, using a facial scrub type of wash, and then I apply moisturiser and then makeup.

In the evening before bed I take off my makeup and then wash again with warm water and a facial scrub type of wash.

I am currently using some sort of tesco's exfoliating scrub thing, but I change my washes all the time, trying different things. When I've used one bottle up, I try something else. Sometimes blackhead removing ones, sometimes pore cleansers, sometimes exfoliators. Nothing ever seems to help.

I'm not sure I've tried Clear Skin blemish peel though, so cheers for the tip I'll give it a whirl.
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm riddled with them. I mean really - all over my nose, cheeks, chin....pretty much every pore.
I use blackhead scrub facial washes but they don't do a thing.
So then I end up sitting there and squeezing at them for hours, and make my entire face bright red and blotchy from me squeezing them, which then looks worse than if I hadn't squeezed them out in the first place...
...not to mention the fact that the next day all the blackheads are back again anyway.

any thoughts on how I can rid myself from these banes of my existence?

2.5% salicylic acid - you can get it cheap from loads of places online, but I personally prefer to pay a little more and go with Paula's Choice (Google is your friend) as this way I know it's legit, and it's at the right pH level to be fully effective without causing too much irritation.

Scrubs etc. don't really work unless they have a chemical exfoliant in the ingredients - and this is usually not a high enough percentage to be effective, plus you only keep a face wash on for about 45 seconds so it doesn't really get a chance to work either. The black part of blackheads is NOT dirt or grime - scrubbing doesn't work because they're caused by excess oil blocking your pores, this then oxidises (the same way cheap foundation can, you know when it turns orange even though it looked fine when you first put it on that morning?) and makes it appear black.

Get the 2.5% salicylic acid toner, use it every day (maybe just once a day at the moment to ease your skin in to it and reduce irritation, then slowly build up to twice a day every day) and you'll notice a difference within a month :smile: Hope this helps!

(P.S. a lot of acne fighting stuff has benzoyl peroxide in it - this is great for inflamed whiteheads but doesn't work on blackheads as it doesn't penetrate deep enough in to the pores to be able to clear the blockage).
Original post by Deja Vu
2.5% salicylic acid - you can get it cheap from loads of places online, but I personally prefer to pay a little more and go with Paula's Choice (Google is your friend) as this way I know it's legit, and it's at the right pH level to be fully effective without causing too much irritation.

Scrubs etc. don't really work unless they have a chemical exfoliant in the ingredients - and this is usually not a high enough percentage to be effective, plus you only keep a face wash on for about 45 seconds so it doesn't really get a chance to work either. The black part of blackheads is NOT dirt or grime - scrubbing doesn't work because they're caused by excess oil blocking your pores, this then oxidises (the same way cheap foundation can, you know when it turns orange even though it looked fine when you first put it on that morning?) and makes it appear black.

Get the 2.5% salicylic acid toner, use it every day (maybe just once a day at the moment to ease your skin in to it and reduce irritation, then slowly build up to twice a day every day) and you'll notice a difference within a month :smile: Hope this helps!

(P.S. a lot of acne fighting stuff has benzoyl peroxide in it - this is great for inflamed whiteheads but doesn't work on blackheads as it doesn't penetrate deep enough in to the pores to be able to clear the blockage).

thank you, that was really helpful :smile:
Reply 5
I wouldn't recommend a blackhead gun (had no idea they existed until I was bought one :redface:). They don't work and are quite painful :frown:
Reply 6
Get a decent facial. Honestly works wonders. Not really a long term solution tho
Original post by Deja Vu

Can you link me where to buy this please? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by coldbeercoldheart
Can you link me where to buy this please? :smile:

Sorry for the late-ish reply, here you go: http://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/

I can link you to a cheaper source on eBay - however, I'm gonna be blunt - it's worth paying for the Paula's Choice stuff. My blackheads were clear within a few weeks with Paula's Choice, the cheap alternative I bought on eBay just burned and didn't do anything. I have a feeling that's because it's still actually salicylic acid but it's formulated with the wrong pH (just a gut feeling I get). This means the skin doesn't actually absorb the product in to the pores properly, so it doesn't work as well.

Honestly, worth paying the little bit extra - maybe get 2 bottles to offset the cost of postage - as it definitely works! My nose used to be covered and this and roaccutane are the only thing that's ever helped :smile:
Blackheads are not dirt, they are the result of the natural oils on your face being oxidised.

Here are some natural remedies you could try to get rid of blackheads.

1. Wet a flannel in hot water *be careful it's not too hot* and hold it on your nose until it loses it's heat. This will open up your pores, making it easier to get rid of what's in the blackheads. Sounds weird but try putting PVA glue on your nose. Give it 10 minutes to go clear and dry then peel it off, the results will be on the peeled-off glue.

2. Heat up some honey and apply it to your nose (or wherever the blackheads are) leave this to work it's magic for 15 minutes and then wash it off. *Make sure the honey is not too hot as honey can burn you*

3. Lemon or Lime juice (salt optional) left on the face for 15 minutes.

4. Scrub toothpaste on your nose each morning and night with an old toothbrush.

5. Make up a mixture made up of 1/2 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of salt. Wet your face with hot water to open up your pores. Apply the mixture to the effected area, rubbing it in a little bit. Leave it to work for 5 minutes and wash off. Only do this 2/3 times per week as it can dry out the areas of your face that you've applied it to. If so, add some moisturiser.

As far as I know, there isn't much anyone can do to prevent blackheads (or spots). Just wash your face every morning and every night with soap and hot water, use any special face washes etc you have. If you're a girl, clean your make-up brushes and sponges regularly as these can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Just wash them in baby shampoo (e.g. Johnson's baby shampoo) and leave them to dry naturally.

I hope this helps :smile:
Start washing your face.....
Reply 11
Lemons are your answer
Seriously...my face hasn't been this clear since I was about 2
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Stop wearing makeup.....
Original post by alison-claire
Blackheads are not dirt, they are the result of the natural oils on your face being oxidised.

Here are some natural remedies you could try to get rid of blackheads.

1. Wet a flannel in hot water *be careful it's not too hot* and hold it on your nose until it loses it's heat. This will open up your pores, making it easier to get rid of what's in the blackheads. Sounds weird but try putting PVA glue on your nose. Give it 10 minutes to go clear and dry then peel it off, the results will be on the peeled-off glue.

2. Heat up some honey and apply it to your nose (or wherever the blackheads are) leave this to work it's magic for 15 minutes and then wash it off. *Make sure the honey is not too hot as honey can burn you*

3. Lemon or Lime juice (salt optional) left on the face for 15 minutes.

4. Scrub toothpaste on your nose each morning and night with an old toothbrush.

5. Make up a mixture made up of 1/2 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of salt. Wet your face with hot water to open up your pores. Apply the mixture to the effected area, rubbing it in a little bit. Leave it to work for 5 minutes and wash off. Only do this 2/3 times per week as it can dry out the areas of your face that you've applied it to. If so, add some moisturiser.

As far as I know, there isn't much anyone can do to prevent blackheads (or spots). Just wash your face every morning and every night with soap and hot water, use any special face washes etc you have. If you're a girl, clean your make-up brushes and sponges regularly as these can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Just wash them in baby shampoo (e.g. Johnson's baby shampoo) and leave them to dry naturally.

I hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for that, I'm going to try those except the PVA glue I imagine it works just like one of sticker things you stick on your nose for a few minutes (from superdrug) It works instantly however, is temporary and only lasts a few days :rolleyes:

Will I notice instance change with the honey remedy?
I agree with the above poster, I think the make-up might take a part in it. I never wear make up, and my face is perfectly clean, no spots, or anything xD So I'd advise giving the make up a miss? Or is that being too unrealistic?
Reply 15
Original post by alison-claire
Make up a mixture made up of 1/2 teaspoon of salt & 1 teaspoon of salt.

:confused: Did you mean to put salt twice or was it supposed to be something else? (I'm curious; I'll probably attempt all the home remedies haha :colondollar:)
Reply 16
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I agree with the above poster, I think the make-up might take a part in it. I never wear make up, and my face is perfectly clean, no spots, or anything xD So I'd advise giving the make up a miss? Or is that being too unrealistic?

You're just one of the lucky ones! :tongue: I have oily/combination skin and deep pores so blackheads are a bitch for me even though I don't wear makeup. :frown:
Original post by Bromine
You're just one of the lucky ones! :tongue: I have oily/combination skin and deep pores so blackheads are a bitch for me even though I don't wear makeup. :frown:

Hmm, that's strange! I always thought it was because I never wore make-up.
My nose literally resembles a starwberry :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest