The Student Room Group

Scottish Qualifications Required To Enter A Degree In Medicine?

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anything to be honest, the universities don't usually look at the other subjects much aside from making sure it fulfills the academic requirements. Basically pick what you enjoy for your last two subjects.
Depends where you go but it would be good to show you can do 'wrody' subjects so maybe something like english literature (if you can do the englishes seperately), history or even a language. Just make sure that they're respected subjects that you enjoy and can do well in.
Original post by carmen_
What highers are required? I know Maths, Chem & Bio are wanted, what other two subjects would be benificial?

I think english is definately included in that.
For your last subject pick something easy, or a subject you know you will be good at.
Reply 4
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
I think english is definately included in that.
For your last subject pick something easy, or a subject you know you will be good at.

No, english is only required for up to Standard Grade. It's not required for Higher.
Original post by roar558
No, english is only required for up to Standard Grade. It's not required for Higher.

Are you sure?
But isnt it better to have it though?
Reply 6
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Are you sure?
But isnt it better to have it though?

Yep definitely sure, it's outlined in the prospectus that a minimum grade of 2/3 in English is required at Standard grade English. That's all that's required for english. It's technically the same for maths and for some universities biology however you are required to take 2 other sciences with chemistery at higher level so biology and maths are fine for those.

To be honest from what I've seen, they don't mark english with any more weighting than any other subject for admissions.
Reply 7
I'd probably recommend 'solid' subjects such as english, geography, history, a language and s on over ones such as art or media ^^
You do not need Higher English. You do not need Higher Maths.

The only Higher you must have is Chemistry. Most universities say that you should have two or three science subjects of which maths is counted.

Personally, I think maths and English should be taken...simply because they are useful for life in general. Most applicants will have one of three subject combos in fifth year:

1. English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics- I find this combo very limiting but probably the most popular.

2. English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, History/Geography/Mod Studs/Language

3. English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, History/Geography/Mod Studs/Language- I took these subjects and don't regret it for an instant.

YOU DO NOT NEED ADV HIGHER BIO.

I chose to take Higher Biology in sixth year along with my three Advanced Highers. This is possible but taking 4 subjects in sixth year is dependent on school policy.
Reply 9
I took English, maths, chemistry, biology and music and i got accepted into two medical schools. I think that you should probably do two sciences and maths. As far as the other two subjects go just do something you enjoy and are good at. There's no point in doing the three sciences when really you'd prefer to do something else. :smile:
For scottish unis its usually 'chemistry plus another two of biology/human biology, maths & physics'

I didn't do bio until 6th year.

actually glasgow say this 'Minimum of AAAAB at one sitting including Chemistry and Biology and either Mathematics or Physics.'
but even if you don't do one of them in 5th year, you can do it in 6th year. Have a read carefully of the entry requirements of the unis you want to apply to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by atomos
For scottish unis its usually 'chemistry plus another two of biology/human biology, maths & physics'

I didn't do bio until 6th year.

actually glasgow say this 'Minimum of AAAAB at one sitting including Chemistry and Biology and either Mathematics or Physics.'
but even if you don't do one of them in 5th year, you can do it in 6th year. Have a read carefully of the entry requirements of the unis you want to apply to.

This is far more succint than my post :tongue:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
This is far more succint than my post :tongue:

haha :colone:
yours goes into good detail though :tongue:
also OP why have you made two threads asking basically the same question..?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1961121
most places prefer if you have all three sciences... as for specific grades, for medicine i would be aiming for 4/5A's since its such a difficult course!
Original post by imonlylittle
most places prefer if you have all three sciences... as for specific grades, for medicine i would be aiming for 4/5A's since its such a difficult course!

What a load of 24 carat testicles.

Could you please show us some evidence that all three sciences are preferred?
Reply 16
Original post by imonlylittle

I have to repeat, the universities generally don't mind what subjects you take outside chemistery, sometimes biology and another science. This third science does not have to be physics, maths or another science subject would be fine.
Reply 17
Original post by roar558

Hmm, it was compulsory in my school to take english in 4th/5th year (we sat Standard Grades at the end of 3rd year) I guess it depends on school then.

But I still think English and Maths are important core subjects to take, regardless of uni requirements.
Reply 18
Original post by Arianto
Hmm, it was compulsory in my school to take english in 4th/5th year (we sat Standard Grades at the end of 3rd year) I guess it depends on school then.

But I still think English and Maths are important core subjects to take, regardless of uni requirements.

It is usually highly recommended to take english by schools along with maths due to the belief that english and maths are very important subjects. However most schools are open to negotiation.
Keep things as simple as possible for yourself,

Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher Chemistry
Higher Biology/Human Biology
Higher History/Geography/Modern Studies

Crash higher physics and take your two favourite Highers to AH level in S6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending