The Student Room Group

Quantum mechanics

Show that the plane waves eikx e^{ikx} are non-normalisable energy eigenstates for the free particle( i.e. V(x)=0,x V(x)=0, \forall x ). What does it mean for it to be a non-normalisable energy eigenstate? In the answer it says that the energy E=k22m E= \dfrac{\hbar k^2}{2m} but I'm not sure I understand why this shows it's non-normalisable.
Original post by JBKProductions
Show that the plane waves eikx e^{ikx} are non-normalisable energy eigenstates for the free particle( i.e. V(x)=0,x V(x)=0, \forall x ). What does it mean for it to be a non-normalisable energy eigenstate? In the answer it says that the energy E=k22m E= \dfrac{\hbar k^2}{2m} but I'm not sure I understand why this shows it's non-normalisable.

broadly speaking, a non normalisable eigenstate is one where, if you integrate the mod square of it's wavefunction over R^3, you get infinity.
Thanks.
Reply 3
F=Ma
Original post by Jed_
F=Ma

I think you mean:
ddtp^=<dVdx^>\frac{d}{dt}\hat{p}=-<\frac{dV}{d \hat{x}}>
Reply 5
Original post by ben-smith
I think you mean:
ddtp^=<dVdx^>\frac{d}{dt}\hat{p}=-<\frac{dV}{d \hat{x}}>

no my friend, you are mistaken the equation the you just said is Distance/time= speed. don't worry I am very experience in the field of mathematics so I can provide more assistance if you need it, this will lead to less embarrassing situations on your part.

Quick Reply

Latest