The Student Room Group

Do you speed on 20MPH roads?

As above , I live in a 20mph zone and have noticed its very rare to see someone doing 20 as most do around 30ish .

Do you stick to the speed on these roads?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its physically impossible for most cars to do below 30 without stalling in my extremely biased experience.
Reply 2
Original post by py0alb
Its physically impossible for most cars to do below 30 without stalling in my extremely biased experience.

Its lucky for some that they live in congestion free area's where 30MPH is NOT the average speed going to work on a Thursday morning!

Personally - when I was learning to drive it was 20MPH to the letter, but now that I've passed ... its more like 'Whoops didn't see the sign' Oh well ... better make a note to stick to 20' NOT.
Reply 3
There is a difference between a 20 mph limit and a 20 mph zone.

The only ones that are enforceable are those with repeater signs regularly spaced on lampposts. If there's just one 20 mph sign and no more, then it can't be enforced.
20mph zones are pretty much unenforceable by the police due to speedometers not being rated to measure speed accurately that low on the scale. Thus 20mph zones are self enforcing (traffic calming measures).

Original post by py0alb

Uhhh change to a lower gear?
Reply 5
I try my best but my car just does not like going so slow!especially up hill
Reply 6
Original post by hanaxo
I try my best but my car just does not like going so slow!especially up hill

Should be able to drive a car at walking pace or less on any inclined or flat road.
Reply 7
Original post by marcusfox
Should be able to drive a car at walking pace or less on any inclined or flat road.

I know.I think it's just my car that's a bit dodgy
Reply 8
I passed just over 2 months ago

When being a learner I used to be bang on the limit on roads but now I tend to creep up by 3-4 mph

However in my 20MPH zone I tend be bang on the limit for some strange reason = S

I also have a tracker (blackbox) installed, so that also puts me off speeding
Reply 9
Original post by Gothica
I passed just over 2 months ago

When being a learner I used to be bang on the limit on roads but now I tend to creep up by 3-4 mph

However in my 20MPH zone I tend be bang on the limit for some strange reason = S

I also have a tracker (blackbox) installed, so that also puts me off speeding

I have a box with Ingenie, which is the main reason I tend to stick within the speed limits. I normally de-tour 20mph roads as here usually the next road along is 30.

I do know someone who has been fined + 3 points for doing 28mph in a 20 zone (mobile camera unit) so its "enforceable" as such.
Reply 10
I don't have a choice.
Most of my cars are very low to the ground and often 20mph zones are littered with speedhumps!

I wouldn't dare attempt most speed bumps quicker than around 4mph in the GT6, for example!
Reply 11
I have the black box fited and I usually over around 5 mph above the speed limit (going on what my speedo says) and I still get 5s or 4.5s on the online dash.

In 20 MPH zones there's not much point speeding up to 30MPH because there's usually speed bumps every 10 meters.
Reply 12
Original post by py0alb

then you need to learn how to drive a car, thats probably the most stupid thing ive ever read. Try putting it in 2nd gear.

Re the OP no ive never sped on a 20 or 30 road for that matter, becuase those are the roads statistically where a pedestrian is most likely to be killed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by py0alb

Parking must be interesting.

I have to admit that it depends on the situation. If there's no one around, like at 3am, and it doesn't seem dangerous, I might speed a little. However if there are lots of pedestrians and road users, then I will stick to 20.
Reply 14
I find that speed bumps are less of a nuisance if you go "fast" over them, say 25-30. My sump guard never slams on them that way, and the car just glides over them. If I attempt them at 15-20 its a different story altogether.

If you brake in your approach to the speed bump you'll get a bit of nose dive...not if you think about it.

Considering where I live, even during light traffic conditions in a 30 zone most traffic will be doing 20-25, going 20 in a 20 isn't too bad going. Not many of those round here, just plenty of speedbumps
Reply 15
Original post by lancelot
then you need to learn how to drive a car, thats probably the most stupid thing ive ever read. Try putting it in 2nd gear.

Re the OP no ive never sped on a 20 or 30 road for that matter, becuase those are the roads statistically where a pedestrian is most likely to be killed.

Pretty sure he's joking.

I can drive round in 5th at 20MPH
Theres a housing estate where I live where its supposed to be 20 but theres only one sign saying so when you drive in so I normally just do anywhere from 20-30 providing there isn't a mass of chavs on bikes blocking the entire road, which is quite a common occurrence.
Reply 17
I find it hard as so many cars abandoned and stuff..
The only 20 zone near me is the town centre, and you can barely go above 10mph there anyway because of the traffic, so yes.

On other roads I tend not to stick to the speed limit unless there's a speed camera around. And of course depending on road conditions / if it's near a school etc.
Reply 19
You bet, i do 21, scandalous isnt it :O

Quick Reply

Latest