The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Self-catered accomodation

I might be making Bristol my firm choice (I have an unconditional offer) and I'm pretty sure my first choice of accommodation will be Goldney, but I've heard a lot of people don't get it even as their first choice.

I DEFINITELY want self-catered, I'm not as bothered about ensuite etc. but it really does need to be self-catered. The problem is it's also really important to me that the JCR is good and the social life is really good, everyone raves about Wills/Churchill/HB/B but they are all catered, so what is a good option for a good social scene (ie. good events put on by the JCR, lots of stuff going on at night) ?

Have heard Durdham is quiet... ? But I haven't really heard anything about any of the others...
Reply 1
The halls are different each year because different people are in them. Whilst some halls may have stereotypical labels for being 'boring' or the 'party hall', you experience there will ultimately be with who you go out with. At every hall they'll be people who don't go out as much as others and vice versa. I'd base your decision on whether you like the location, the rooms, price, do you want a bar?

Obviously the bigger the hall the more people who will be going out, so in that case they could be considered as having a better social scene. Just because there's more people. There's a higher chance someone will be going out when you want to etc.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
There is some merit in the whole hall stereotypes.

Basically Badock/Hiatt Baker are 'party halls' where everyone goes out loads, Wills/Churchill are nice, bit posher and a bit less but still quite party-ish. UH is a bit mixed because you get put in flats of six so it can be a bit hit-and-miss depending on your flatmates but generally its pretty party-ish. Durdham is pretty quiet.

Goldney/Manor, pretty good social life there, while CHH is a bit quieter. As for the student houses, they tend to be quieter and smaller.
Reply 3
It might not be for you as you are applying to goldney, but UH is a good shout if you want social. As I say, if the mahogany panelling and grand piano is what has drawn you to goldney, stay away, but if you are fine with your facilities being functional rather than luxurious you'll meet a great group of people and have an amazing time in UH. Also the guys organising freshers for you are about as social and loud as it's possible to be.
Reply 4
Original post by Joker370
It might not be for you as you are applying to goldney, but UH is a good shout if you want social. As I say, if the mahogany panelling and grand piano is what has drawn you to goldney, stay away, but if you are fine with your facilities being functional rather than luxurious you'll meet a great group of people and have an amazing time in UH. Also the guys organising freshers for you are about as social and loud as it's possible to be.

the grand piano is a bit out of tune at the moment, just enough to be noticeable in that really annoying way that is slightly wrong on some of the notes :frown:
Reply 5
Hmm I think UH is a good second option. Will probably have Goldney as my first, I really badly want to be there (like everyone else) although I prob won't go for the ensuite option

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending