The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambbeerr
What things would you write about for this question and how would you evaluate it?? Outline of research relating to independent behaviour
Thanks!

I would look at three case studies; Milgram (Sub-study within the obedience research), Oliner & Oliner (Nazi-Germany study) and Williams & Warschal (Asch go over).

Remember to talk about locus of control, interal etc and the social responsibility stuff from the above studies.
Original post by 0day
Oh god same here, just found out I have the test tommorow (stupid mistake). How are you revising?

awww :tongue: well i've finished revising the cognitive and behaviour approach as most people are predicting this as a 12 marker... then i'm going to abnormality - since it's shorter! then social influence and stress

there was a lot of stress on jan/12 paper btw!! - but still revise everything!!!

and i'm making notes from the mark scheme - will is really useful btw!!

good luck :biggrin: xx
Reply 1002
Original post by AwkwardPenguin

Are the two methods of coping with stress aka emotional and practical DEFINITELY no longer going to come up? :smile:

Cut out the rest, but i'll answer this bit.

By this you mean emotion focused coping and problem focused coping yes?

If so then that's still in it. Emotion focused being denial, wishful thinking, venting of emotions etc and problem focused being dealing with the problem by any positive method such as evaluating pros/cons and seeing how to move forward etc.

You could mean physical and emotional/psychological methods that are:
-Physical (Drugs/Biofeedback)
-Psychological (SIT/Hardiness training)
is it true that minority influence has been expanded in the new spec?

my teacher hasn't told me about it and my textbook is still on the old spec

can someone please give me the needed notes on it, and what sort of 12 marker can we get; also how will i answer it? :frown:
Reply 1004
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Would someone like to outline and evalute systematic de-sensitization? :rolleyes:

A01

A patient is taught a variety of relaxation techniques, such as breathing exercises, or muscle relaxation techniques

The patient then makes a 'hierarchy' of their phobia

This can be imagined, using pictures, or real life

The patient then goes through the hierarchy and uses the techniques so that eventually they can go through the whole hierarchy calmly

A02

There are quicker methods, such as flooding

Only good for phobias, and not for depression etc

Requires a lot of time/effort

Only treats symptoms and not causes

I would also compare it to drugs, for example, and mention how there are no side effects

What would you do? :biggrin: xx
Original post by s_axo
A01

A patient is taught a variety of relaxation techniques, such as breathing exercises, or muscle relaxation techniques

The patient then goes through the hierarchy and uses the techniques so that eventually they can go through the whole hierarchy calmly

A02

I would also compare it to drugs, for example, and mention how there are no side effects

Pft, what you said. :biggrin:
Any chance I can attach a PDF to this thing, i'll send the january 2012 past paper
Original post by ashmorris93
Emotional and problem focused approaches of stress are NOT going to come up. You can still use them if you have revised them though.
Type B personality is just the opposite of Type A, so not worried about time, relaxed, not competitive and basically lazy.
I don't think Type B is that predominant, knowing about Type A and hardiness personality type should do the trick I think.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Original post by Phate
Cut out the rest, but i'll answer this bit.

By this you mean emotion focused coping and problem focused coping yes?

If so then that's still in it. Emotion focused being denial, wishful thinking, venting of emotions etc and problem focused being dealing with the problem by any positive method such as evaluating pros/cons and seeing how to move forward etc.

You could mean physical and emotional/psychological methods that are:
-Physical (Drugs/Biofeedback)
-Psychological (SIT/Hardiness training)

Oh dear two different answers to that bit...

Thank you to both of you though and thank you to ashmorris93 for everything else as well! :smile:
Reply 1008

Hehe! You are gonna do wonderfully.

Original post by jannesedward
Any chance I can attach a PDF to this thing, i'll send the january 2012 past paper

someone already did a few pages back hun :smile:
Reply 1009
Can someone PLEEEEEEEEEEASE do an AO1 and AO2 plan for- Outline and Evaluate the behavioural approach?

Would appreciate it a lot :redface:
Original post by s_axo
A01

A02

these notes are really good, if you don't mind will you be able to do them for:

outline and evaluate psychoanalysis

outline and evaluate cognitive behavioural therapy

:colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by s_axo
Hehe! You are gonna do wonderfully.

someone already did a few pages back hun :smile:

Well that's embarrassing, hah too much effort to read through everything.
I have done 0 revision for research methods.
Is it going to come up same scale as Unit 1 exam? :confused:
Original post by PowerPuff

No. You'll get a graph maybe and a question or two on questionnaires and their use etc.
Original post by PowerPuff

Not on the same scale but will probably ask a couple of questions on it. But to do with stress, social or abnormality.

Original post by Kaaate-
Can someone PLEEEEEEEEEEASE do an AO1 and AO2 plan for- Outline and Evaluate the behavioural approach?

Would appreciate it a lot :redface:

Behavioural- abnormal behaviour is learnt in the same way as normal Classic conditioning (learning through association). Operant conditioning (learning through reward and punishment)...Then you could use the social learning theory and learning through vicarious conditioning in which you watch others either get rewarded or punished, this is safer than learning through your own experience. Evaluation is that it's negatively reductionist, it doesn't take into account biological and other psychological factors. Therapies include systematic desensitisation which have been proven to work well, a good therapy is reflective of a good explanation.
Original post by ashmorris93
This shouldnt come up as its been taken off the spec. That's what my teacher said anyway. But if it did, it would be things to do with high locus of control; internal and external and it would also be the attributional style.

Thats only individual differences in independent behaviour. Stuff like resisting pressures to obey + Conform will probably still be in the test somehow.
Reply 1017
Original post by jannesedward
Behavioural- abnormal behaviour is learnt in the same way as normal Classic conditioning (learning through association). Operant conditioning (learning through reward and punishment)...Then you could use the social learning theory and learning through vicarious conditioning in which you watch others either get rewarded or punished, this is safer than learning through your own experience. Evaluation is that it's negatively reductionist, it doesn't take into account biological and other psychological factors. Therapies include systematic desensitisation which have been proven to work well, a good therapy is reflective of a good explanation.

Thank you!! :biggrin:
Teacher gave me these questions, wanting some peer reviewing of my answers.

1) Tom Hates Drinking, but his friends drink too much and try to persuade him.

- Using your knowledge of Psychology explain ways that Tom might use to resist pressures put on him by his friends. (6 marks)

Plan of my Answer:
(As the command words suggest this is conformity)
- Gather group of peers who share same beliefs and attitudes of drinking being negative in order to establish a strong group identity and give tom the re-assurance to support his views. As suggested by Ash research in which conformity rates dropped when there was a dissenter who shared the same views of the true participants when choosing a comparison line answer + Normative social influence
- Take time to remind himself of why he has these views and (Aronson)
- Use internet to gather information on the negative consequences of drinking + Informative social influence will be reduced as will have gained knowledge ect (Ash & Gerald and Deutch)

Is that alright? 3 points referring to conformity and research to back-up

2) In a Hospital, you are likely to obey a nurse. However outside the hospital near a corner shop you are not.

- Using knowledge of psychology explain why (4 marks)

Plan of My Answer
- Legitimate authority (explain what that is) through the use of Power of the Uniform (Suggest by Bickham) gives nurse perceived authority but when when in normal clothes shared with individual this is lost ect
- Setting of sorroundings of Individual has changed (In Milgrams when moved to a office, obedience dropped) as percieved status of experiment when in prestidged university is lost as if the prestidge of hospital to corner shop where nurse holds no higher level of authority than individual
-

2 points and research + reffering back to question + elaborate using research

What marks would you give me?
+ what would you put?
Original post by Hamsey45
Thats only individual differences in independent behaviour. Stuff like resisting pressures to obey + Conform will probably still be in the test somehow.

Yeah I thought that they said individual differences in independent behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending