The Student Room Group

How to reference a quote?

For my extended project dissertation I need to use the Harvard referencing system. I'm okay with referencing books and websites although I don't know how to reference a quote spoken by someone or even if I need to.

For example I've used the quote: "I ask them to stand calm, firm and united in this time of trial. The task will be hard. There may be dark days ahead and war can no longer be confined to the battlefield. But we can only do the right as we see the right and reverently commit our cause to God." In my essay so should I quote the website I got the quote from or do I need to do something else?
Reply 1
You cite a quote the same way you would any other information but with quote marks. In the reference list you add author's/editor's surname and initials, year of publication, title, the word online in square brackets, edition details, place of publication, publisher (if ascertainable). The web address and the date the page was accessed.
Original post by Rossyboy
For my extended project dissertation I need to use the Harvard referencing system. I'm okay with referencing books and websites although I don't know how to reference a quote spoken by someone or even if I need to.

For example I've used the quote: "I ask them to stand calm, firm and united in this time of trial. The task will be hard. There may be dark days ahead and war can no longer be confined to the battlefield. But we can only do the right as we see the right and reverently commit our cause to God." In my essay so should I quote the website I got the quote from or do I need to do something else?

Hi Rossyboy,

each university requires its students to use its own referencing system. There are even differences in how the Harvard referencing system is applied. As you are using a direct quotation you are correct in putting this in quotation marks but as there is no page number this information will have to be omitted. Nonetheless, you must as you suggest reference the website (URL) and the date this was accessed. If you are just referencing an idea, i.e. paraphrasing then no quotation marks are required. Please also see here for more info on plagiarism. I hope this helps...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending