The Student Room Group

Media/communications or English?! Help needed :(

Hey guys,

I'm applying to start university in 2013 and I'm totally stuck between studying media/communications which really interests me and I'd love to study, or english which I feel is a safer option and may be taken more seriously by employers.

Could really use some opinions?

Go with your heart. I've always considered media studies etc as a strain of English and as much as it gets berated there are similarities between the two subjects. What you're asking though is what to do at university. I don't consider media studies as a subject that should taken at uni, let alone offered. If you are intellectually inclined and have a genuine curiosity about studying a subject in more depth then surely English must pail Media studies into insignificance?!!!

Moreover, I would have to say Communication studies is a poor man's Linguistics so maybe it would be prudent to consider Linguistics as a viable option for further education.

University isn't A level's; university - should be - an area of academic study to push yourself and explore.
I study Media and Cultural Studies and as far as I am aware, is the same as Media and Commuincations. I love the course! I have a real passion for it, and if you do too - go for it!
Reply 3
Original post by Meat is Murder
Go with your heart. I've always considered media studies etc as a strain of English and as much as it gets berated there are similarities between the two subjects. What you're asking though is what to do at university. I don't consider media studies as a subject that should taken at uni, let alone offered. If you are intellectually inclined and have a genuine curiosity about studying a subject in more depth then surely English must pail Media studies into insignificance?!!!

Moreover, I would have to say Communication studies is a poor man's Linguistics so maybe it would be prudent to consider Linguistics as a viable option for further education.

University isn't A level's; university - should be - an area of academic study to push yourself and explore.

Thank you, although I don't understand why media studies wouldn't be liable to study at university? Surely you can go into just as much depth into media as you can to english, seen as they are two different subjects? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NewStartAndAllThat
I study Media and Cultural Studies and as far as I am aware, is the same as Media and Commuincations. I love the course! I have a real passion for it, and if you do too - go for it!

Thank you! Could you tell me whether you go into media psychology and social media on your course? I'm interested in the theoretical quite a lot more than the practical.
Original post by caldinio
Thank you! Could you tell me whether you go into media psychology and social media on your course? I'm interested in the theoretical quite a lot more than the practical.

On my course it's 95% theoretical. (this will vary between Uni though I guess). It's both media psychology and social media - its very mixed and very interesting! (well I think so :biggrin:)
Reply 6
On my course it's 95% theoretical. (this will vary between Uni though I guess). It's both media psychology and social media - its very mixed and very interesting! (well I think so :biggrin:)

Thanks, I think I'm go with media and communications now. I'm not about to spend £9000 on a course that I don't enjoy :smile:
Thanks, I think I'm go with media and communications now. I'm not about to spend £9000 on a course that I don't enjoy :smile:

Totally! If you are interested in the subject, I would deffo do it!

I love Media, and most of the essays and assignments (and again, at my Uni - might not be the same as yours) lets you adapt it to interests. So for example, creating a DVD Cover, I was able to do a comedy as I have a huge interest in this. Or anaylsis of a film, you can choose your own film choice.

Totally! If you are interested in the subject, I would deffo do it!

I love Media, and most of the essays and assignments (and again, at my Uni - might not be the same as yours) lets you adapt it to interests. So for example, creating a DVD Cover, I was able to do a comedy as I have a huge interest in this. Or anaylsis of a film, you can choose your own film choice.

Creating a DVD cover? Jobs for that will go to graphic designers not media students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending