The Student Room Group

Student finance extra funding

OK so I used up 2 years of student funding but I heard they may give you an extra year if you have medical reasons etc. My reasons are depression stemming from Aspergers syndrome and I I have been homeless and jumping between various hostels for a while which has caused a ton of disruption.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Do you have nay evidence of what you said and how these affect(ed) your ability to study?
Reply 3
If you have a disability there a grants available,it seems like you might be retroactively trying to use a medical condition to explain a poor use of your finances. But if aspergers is covered I would apply for a grant if it's not to late.
Reply 4
Original post by .vandal87
If you have a disability there a grants available,it seems like you might be retroactively trying to use a medical condition to explain a poor use of your finances. But if aspergers is covered I would apply for a grant if it's not to late.

Are you trying to annoy me? Yeah I really knew that going to university was going to cause depression before I went.

Youre probably talking about DSA. That is not for tuition fees it is for extra medical assistance at university.

If you are going to be rude and not know what the **** you are talking about then why post at all?
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Do you have nay evidence of what you said and how these affect(ed) your ability to study?

Yeah I have everything. Tbh the medical reasons were a minor reason compared to the homelessness, that is what really put the nail in the coffin. I was forced to quit after a year at the first university and as for the second it was kind of my fault I admit because I rushed into it too soon without properly sorting myself out after the homelessness and medical issues.

I was thinking of the OU. I'm pretty sure I asked you about the OU once and you blanked my question and negged me. Thanks for that.
Reply 6
Original post by S.R

Youre probably talking about DSA. That is not for tuition fees it is for extra medical assistance at university

Well, it's actually for non-medical help (e.g. notetaker, books, equipment) but you're right that it's not "additional" money that you are free to spend on fees or living costs.

You are allowed four years worth of funding for a three year course and you're saying you've used up two of these four years?

If you do go past this fourth year then you will need to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (this is what SFE call it, I assume they are your funding body?)

If you have medical evidence then please speak to financial/student support at university. They will be able to help you and may even write a letter to your funding body, and collate all medical evidence for you (if they have the evidence themselves).
Reply 7
Original post by River85
Well, it's actually for non-medical help (e.g. notetaker, books, equipment) but you're right that it's not "additional" money that you are free to spend on fees or living costs.

You are allowed four years worth of funding for a three year course and you're saying you've used up two of these four years?

If you do go past this fourth year then you will need to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (this is what SFE call it, I assume they are your funding body?)

If you have medical evidence then please speak to financial/student support at university. They will be able to help you and may even write a letter to your funding body, and collate all medical evidence for you (if they have the evidence themselves).

Alright thanks a lot for replying :smile:

Yeah I will have used up 2 years if I decide to leave and reapply to another university. The thing is that if I were to leave and reapply to a new university I would not want the university that I'm leaving to know I'm leaving and I would not want the university that I'm going to to know that I was previously at another university which is why if I went a head with this plan I can't use the university financial support services. Is there any chance that I could send in medical evidence myself and get student finance to agree to fund me for an extra year should I wish to leave the course, leave the course then start at the new university without them ever finding out?

Quick Reply