The Student Room Group

Why Is The Ford Mustang So Cheap (In Price)?

As per the title, a Ford Mustang ranges from about Β£15k to over Β£40k.

Why?

It looks to me like it should cost much more, no? Or are looks deceiving?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ok so this will be the cost in the US or are you talking about here? As usually when it reaches here the price gers marked up to say Β£40k+

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZRO
Ok so this will be the cost in the US or are you talking about here? As usually when it reaches here the price gers marked up to say Β£40k+

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, I've edited the OP now for the higher price range, having looking at some more dealers - even though they all seem to be importers here in the UK.
Reply 3
Ok so firstly as they are imported, the importers have to pay the costs of importing the car, registering it here and also shipping costs. This adds cost on its own. Secondly what your seeing are really the base standard mustangs. They may have a 6.0l V8 or whatever but the power produced is sub 400hp. The quality is also quite low too due to cheap plastic trimmings basic interior etc.
Also due to the car being LHD this would have a much poorer resale value in the UK.

These are just off the top of my head so will not be 100% accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The lower models must be very cheap in america, whenever my dad goes over for bussiness he gets a mustang rental for no extra cost.
Reply 5
I wouldn't say they're cheap.

They start off at $22000 in the US.

The GT which most people would get starts off at $30000
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
The modern Mustangs don't compare to the classics, they are fairly sluggish, bad to corner and all plasticy.

Now the old Mustangs (1969 is the famous one?) are cars to admire and one of the few classics i intend to get, raw power and sexy looks.
Reply 7
They are very cheap (for what they are) in America because they are big, simple, no frills cars, that use big lazy engines. Sadly when they get over here you are looking at paying a lot more due to import taxes etc which is a shame.

People will tell you "they are cheap plasticky cars that can't go round corners". While that may have been the case in the late 80s / 90s (SVT models excluded), it certainly isn't now. Change the record please! They still use live rear axles (basically simple suspension) which makes them a handful, but with a skilled driver they can lay down stonking lap times.

Extremely good value for money too - the standard Mustang GT produces 420 bhp which is about the same as an M3 or an RS4, yet is considerably cheaper. You get a lot for your money.

They are extremely tuneable too - look at the new Shelby GT500 with over 600 bhp, and they can go much higher than that too.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI9drvzFMKs
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 1992LP
They are very cheap (for what they are) in America because they are big, simple, no frills cars, that use big lazy engines. Sadly when they get over here you are looking at paying a lot more due to import taxes etc which is a shame.

People will tell you "they are cheap plasticky cars that can't go round corners". While that may have been the case in the late 80s / 90s (SVT models excluded), it certainly isn't now. Change the record please! They still use live rear axles (basically simple suspension) which makes them a handful, but with a skilled driver they can lay down stonking lap times.

Extremely good value for money too - the standard Mustang GT produces 420 bhp which is about the same as an M3 or an RS4, yet is considerably cheaper. You get a lot for your money.

They are extremely tuneable too - look at the new Shelby GT500 with over 600 bhp, and they can go much higher than that too.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI9drvzFMKs

While I agree with you that they are not the stereotypical "straight line" cars, I don't think it is compareable to an M3 or an RS4. For one, it most definetly does not handle like an M3 or an RS4 due to much greater refinement, and technology implemented into them. For example the DCT-Transmission is un-rivaled in this category. The precision of the M3 is what is most amazing, as family have owned both the M3 and RS4, I can say that the standard Mustang has nothing on any of them. Ofc then you have the Boss 302s, etc which have alot more power, but still the handling and refinement is not compareable to the likes of BMW and Audi, and this is why they are alot cheaper in the US, due to production on a large scale with cheaper materials. This is the reason why german cars in North America are alot more expensive.
Reply 9
We'll be getting the Mustang over here hopefully next year with right hand drive :P
Reply 10
Original post by Camoxide
We'll be getting the Mustang over here hopefully next year with right hand drive :P

But it will be a smaller engine. I think Jeremy Clarkson said 2L
Reply 11
Original post by h4mza

2.0l V6
Reply 12
It's a budget 'sports car' built from the cheapest parts that they can reasonably get away with fitting to keep costs down.

I believe the V6 model, for example, is limited to 117 mph to protect the driveshaft, amongst other reasons, although the car should theoretically be capable of a much higher speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAm59oe0RPU
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ZRO
While I agree with you that they are not the stereotypical "straight line" cars, I don't think it is compareable to an M3 or an RS4. For one, it most definetly does not handle like an M3 or an RS4 due to much greater refinement, and technology implemented into them. For example the DCT-Transmission is un-rivaled in this category. The precision of the M3 is what is most amazing, as family have owned both the M3 and RS4, I can say that the standard Mustang has nothing on any of them. Ofc then you have the Boss 302s, etc which have alot more power, but still the handling and refinement is not compareable to the likes of BMW and Audi, and this is why they are alot cheaper in the US, due to production on a large scale with cheaper materials. This is the reason why german cars in North America are alot more expensive.

The German rivals have much more technology in them so are easier to drive faster, but the Mustang still manages to put down pretty similar numbers - just takes a bit more skill.

DCT? Get a manual :wink:

Refinement is a good point - it will not be as refined as the German cars due to cheaper interior / soundproofing etc. Keeps costs down I guess.

Original post by ZRO
2.0l V6

Where did you hear that? I would have thought it would be the 2.0 4 cyl turbo from the Focus ST that they would use? Haven't heard of a 2.0 V6 since the Jaguar X-Type, unless that is the one they are using? Surely not.

Either way, it is pointless. Why would you buy a 4 cylinder muscle car?! I hope we get the V8 over here.
Reply 14
Original post by 1992LP
The German rivals have much more technology in them so are easier to drive faster, but the Mustang still manages to put down pretty similar numbers - just takes a bit more skill.

DCT? Get a manual :wink:

Refinement is a good point - it will not be as refined as the German cars due to cheaper interior / soundproofing etc. Keeps costs down I guess.

Where did you hear that? I would have thought it would be the 2.0 4 cyl turbo from the Focus ST that they would use? Haven't heard of a 2.0 V6 since the Jaguar X-Type, unless that is the one they are using? Surely not.

Either way, it is pointless. Why would you buy a 4 cylinder muscle car?! I hope we get the V8 over here.

Sorry I meant 3.7l V6 I was mistaken with another car!

And haha the manual m3 = best driver car and bang for buck :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by HumanSupremacist

Why?

Rule of thumb when importing an automobile from the US, change the $ to Β£ and that is your import cost. In the US it is cheap (doing direct currency conversion without taking taxes into account), once you have imported it to the UK and paid all relevant duties and taxes it is almost double the US price in GBP.
Reply 16
Original post by h4mza

2.4 litre 4 cylinder ecoboost which will have similar horse power to the 3.7 litre v6
Reply 17
Original post by Camoxide
2.4 litre 4 cylinder ecoboost which will have similar horse power to the 3.7 litre v6

I am sure it will be a fine enough engine, but it is just wrong to put a 4 cylinder engine in a Mustang :frown:

Do you know if we get the V8 model?
Reply 18
Original post by 1992LP
I am sure it will be a fine enough engine, but it is just wrong to put a 4 cylinder engine in a Mustang :frown:

Do you know if we get the V8 model?

Only the 2.4 is confirmed but the V8 and possibly the v6 even might be an optional extra.

However the next generation Mustang is aimed at being marketed globally which means it might have a more euro look and feel which defeats the whole appeal of a Mustang imo.
Reply 19
Original post by HumanSupremacist

Why?

You can get a mustang for a lot less than 15k.
You can easily get a 5 litre fox body for under 5k. With a few little mods they'll do wheel stands all day long too!

Quick Reply

Latest