The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I got my dinner suit from Matalan, and bow tie from Marks & Spencer
DJ £45
Trousers £20
Shirt £15
Bow tie £10

Total £90, so it needn't be too expensive.
Reply 21
As far as I know the option is between a normal collar and a detachable wing collar. From what I've seen, and I'm only expressing my own opinion here, is what I said earlier - that wing collars look tacky with black tie. Dress shirts with a normal collars look much better. Also, this is from personal experience with wearing detachable, starched wing collars day in, day out, they are really uncomfortable.
Reply 22
thefish_uk
Hmmm...

So do you just wear an ordinary suit (ie. a business suit) for formal hall then?

I usually do, I only get the dinner suit out for special occassions, boat club dinners last yea, matric and may ball and other major things, like maybe my birthday, this year (didn't last year, too soon after matric and my shirt was ruined).
apd35

DJ £45
Trousers £20
Shirt £15
Bow tie £10

Your mate throwing up on it after a May Ball: Priceless.
JohnStuartMill

I can organise it for a reasonable price if you're interested.

MB
Reply 25
"No, nonono... Wing collars with a DJ look tacky. It looks like you're really trying hard to dress up to look good, whereas you want to look as if the DJ feels natural on you."

I'm afraid I have to disagree on this point, the stand up, detachable wing collar is the traditional choice for black tie and considered to be the proper one. It is only in very recent times that it has become acceptable to wear an attached collar of any kind not to mention a standard turn down collar. I would hardly consider it tacky.
Reply 26
Just don't wear a white tux.
Reply 27
JohnStuartMill

Rep tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 28
apd35
I usually do, I only get the dinner suit out for special occassions, boat club dinners last yea, matric and may ball and other major things, like maybe my birthday, this year (didn't last year, too soon after matric and my shirt was ruined).

Wait, it's OK to wear black tie to matriculation? Wouldn't you look slightly out of place with everyone else in daysuits? (get me trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about).

I only ask cos I dont know what to wear for matriculation
Reply 29
PaddyMac
Wait, it's OK to wear black tie to matriculation? Wouldn't you look slightly out of place with everyone else in daysuits? (get me trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about).

I only ask cos I dont know what to wear for matriculation

I'm on about our matriculation dinner, I also wore it for the matric photo, thought my parents would prefer it then, seeing as they were the ones getting the photo.

Trinity has a freshers' formal on the Sunday, where you first experience formal and, if you wish, sit opposite the chplain, get hideously drunk then (not despite but because of this performance) get invited to help with the Christmas carol service. The next morning you have your matric photo, then about 3 weeks later you have matriculation dinner, which I think most people turned up to in black tie, which is really good and you finish off with 20+ year old port, it's all good.
Reply 30
If 'they' are going to make a fuss on the tiny details of your dinner jacket, existence of a cummerbund, the particular type of your collar and other little things, they really have their priorities wrong.

I also hate the fact I'm spending hundreds on these 'formal' clothes. It's nice that we have formal events, yes, but when they get too specific on what you can or cannot wear, they're going too far. Shame really.
Reply 31
N9ne
If 'they' are going to make a fuss on the tiny details of your dinner jacket, existence of a cummerbund, the particular type of your collar and other little things, they really have their priorities wrong.

I also hate the fact I'm spending hundreds on these 'formal' clothes. It's nice that we have formal events, yes, but when they get too specific on what you can or cannot wear, they're going too far. Shame really.

No, they (by which I assume you mean college authorities) aren't bothered, a suit will do for matric and jeans and ajacket will for formal, one or two cheap suits (try tesco or matalan) and a cheap dinner suit will suffice.
Reply 32
ok youve all really confused me now...
what type of footwear are you supposed to wear... (im guessing converse is off the list...)
Reply 33
apd35
No, they (by which I assume you mean college authorities) aren't bothered, a suit will do for matric and jeans and ajacket will for formal, one or two cheap suits (try tesco or matalan) and a cheap dinner suit will suffice.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be wearing all the formal stuff (since I've needed it for the odd occassion in the past and so already have it all), it's just that for those who don't, or those who aren't particularly excited by all the specification, it's not something they should really enforce a great deal.
Reply 34
The general discussion here is on people's preferences, I can't think of anywhere here where I noticed or someone looked down upon someone for being off the dress code on a minor point.

Generally, all you need for Cambridge is a lounge suit, although Black Tie/Dinner Jacket can be useful, almost all if not all black tie events people attend out of choice, and no-one is usually too specific. That isn't really being terribly fussy now.

(edit: I'm slow at typing today!)
Reply 35
Rik_Rock
Like with most things, it varies between colleges. St. John's actually don't even require a suit, but the vast majority of colleges do in my experience.

Similarly Emmanuel don't require smart dress (except at very important events like matriculation dinners). You just need to a wear a gown to formal. No one there has yet tried *just* wearing a gown to formal though...
Can I just add a slightly off point question here as it's 'the clothes' thread please? Just checking whether I need to buy a labcoat or whether they're provided. Any soon-to-be 2nd yr natscis about? Thanks. :smile:
Good luck with the suits guys - I got completely lost reading through this thread! :p:
Reply 37
i have one... and my own pair of goggles but thats cause my science technians at my school loved me.
Reply 38
N9ne
Don't get me wrong, I'll be wearing all the formal stuff (since I've needed it for the odd occassion in the past and so already have it all), it's just that for those who don't, or those who aren't particularly excited by all the specification, it's not something they should really enforce a great deal.

Personally i think its all part of the cambridge experience. They dont have to be expensive, i know its ANOTHER thing to go on my student loan, but personally i think its well worth it and im looking forward to the few occassions i get to use it.
Reply 39
Britomart
Similarly Emmanuel don't require smart dress (except at very important events like matriculation dinners). You just need to a wear a gown to formal. No one there has yet tried *just* wearing a gown to formal though...

They have at Clare. Or so the story goes...

Latest

Trending

Trending