The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh. Just had the best 5 months of my life working in Tignes (going to VDI everyday skiing and every week partying!) and it was wicked. Would highly recommend working for Skiworld as they were great employers.

Came back last week and am boooored. Don't want to get a normal job and I want to go skiing!!
Lady_Muck
Ahhh. Just had the best 5 months of my life working in Tignes (going to VDI everyday skiing and every week partying!) and it was wicked. Would highly recommend working for Skiworld as they were great employers.

Came back last week and am boooored. Don't want to get a normal job and I want to go skiing!!

Post-season blues suck. It sucked even more for me, as everyone I worked with came from way down south, and I live in Scotland, so I barely ever see them... some of the guys who I was good mates with out there, I still haven't seen since I finished my season 2 years ago.
I'm so jealous, I want to work for Skiworld, I went on holiday with them and the staff all had such a good time and were so nice!

I'm gonna definately do a ski season, hopefully with them but I'm undecided whether to do it this year or next year,
this year :smile: Do it nowwww.
Lol, well that would mean not doing A2, but I'm not sure I'm planning to carry on to A2 anyway, but yeah it looks amaaaaaazing, skiing, drinking, cool people nd some work thrown in the mix!`
Reply 25
I got back almost 2 weeks ago now, and i was bored within a few days. Had the best time of my life and met some awesome people. Worked for crystal (they were a bit **** but it didnt affect my season at all) in la plagne, france. I was a hotel host, the work was rubbish but everyone was rly relaxed and having fun came first.
I came back a fully fledged alcoholic and very broke. If i do another winter i'd def ski more and drink less!
Starting a summer season in Austria next week :smile:...with Crystal again. Going away made me realise how crap england is!
If ur considering a season....just do it!
queenstown, New Zealand is an absolutely amazing place to do a season. their are loads of fields and it is absolutely beautiful! there is plenty of partying do be done and the people are really nice. i've also lived in whistler and it is pretty sweet as well, pretty expensive, but really beautiful.
Reply 27
I really want to do a ski season, but I'm only 18 and will be most of the time I'm out there.. Do you think I can get an ok job? Natives say as a rule you to be at least 19..

An 18y.o. friend that went out last year was a dishcleaning-monkey.. and I don't really know if I'm up for that..

Do you think something like Hotel Host is way outta the question?
ninibee
I really want to do a ski season, but I'm only 18 and will be most of the time I'm out there.. Do you think I can get an ok job? Natives say as a rule you to be at least 19..

An 18y.o. friend that went out last year was a dishcleaning-monkey.. and I don't really know if I'm up for that..

Do you think something like Hotel Host is way outta the question?

You could get a job as a glass collector, dishwasher, chalet assistant, or chalet host - the last two would need you to have some sort of cooking qualification, given your age, to make you stand out.

I worked as a glass collector (bar back) when I was on my season, and had a great time.
Reply 29
I've decided to do a Ski Season!

Glass collector! oooh what company did you work for?

I am going to one of the thomson and crystal recruitment days in August - I think it is in Plymouth!

Bit worried though.. got a few questions

.How much money will I need to take?

.How much will all the gear cost me - I have not a clue about ski ing stuff etc and don't know what I will need?

Thanks .x.
Amberoo
I've decided to do a Ski Season!

Glass collector! oooh what company did you work for?

I am going to one of the thomson and crystal recruitment days in August - I think it is in Plymouth!

Bit worried though.. got a few questions

.How much money will I need to take?

.How much will all the gear cost me - I have not a clue about ski ing stuff etc and don't know what I will need?

Thanks .x.

I worked for Mark Warner, but my job was actually a bar back. This differs in that you have to do a lot more manual work, and it would have been impossible for a girl to do my job - I'm not being pig headed, but I'm a big guy, and I struggled some of the stuff I had to do (lifting beer kegs, which can weigh 70kg+, and other heavy physical labour). Obviously a company will know what they need their staff to do, so it's worth applying anyway.

Money wise... I had a few hundred in savings from working during the summer - it tends to help when you need to buy stuff at the start of the season, and it helps to have a bit of backup cash, just in case. The pay is never great when you're out there.

Gear can cost you as much or little as you want - TK Maxx has skiwear, which doesn't cost much, and you may find ski hire is included as part of your employment package. If not, then resort shops often do good deals on kit for seasonnaires, and may let you pay in instalments, sometimes taking your passport as a deposit.

In terms of specific items, assuming skiing is your game...
Ski Jacket (Waterproofing is important - a removable liner is good, as it allows you to deal with both cold snowy days, as well as warmer spring conditions)
Ski Pants (Board pants are comfier in my opinion, and are just as good - two pairs may be a good idea if you can get them cheap!)
Thermal tops and bottoms (For the really cold days!)
GOOD Ski Socks (It's worth spending a bit of cash to get a few good pairs of socks, as the cheap ones are not very comfy if you're doing a lot of skiing!)
Sunnies & Goggles (Not just for looking flash, the sun can really damage your eyes, especially with the glare off the snow)
Gloves (Waterproof material if possible, nothing worse than cold, wet hands)
Helmet (Since you're a learner, it's a pretty easy call - a helmet is a good idea. They're not the big goofy things they once were, and having landed on my head a few times, it's safe to say that they're not just for beginners!)
Hat (Going out at night is COLD!!)
Reply 31
I've already organised my gap year starting this september doing something totally different, but this is an awesome idea. Do many people do ski seasons post university? Might do that :biggrin:
Reply 32
Tomasu
Do many people do ski seasons post university? Might do that :biggrin:

You will be in the majority if you do it post university
Reply 33
Hi, I wonder if any of you guys could help me.. Me and my boyfriend really want to go snowboarding in france from january - end of season (we can't go before then because the lease on our flat doesn't run out til end of december), but to be able to afford it we really need to get jobs out there... trouble is i know most of the jobs there start in november/december... what would anyone recommend to do? Also is there any way to get jobs together (or at least jobs at similar hours) so we can go boarding at the same time? Oh one more thing, do jobs like hotel work and bar work include accommodation and ski passes?
Thankyou :smile:
Reply 34
starsilver
Hi, I wonder if any of you guys could help me.. Me and my boyfriend really want to go snowboarding in france from january - end of season (we can't go before then because the lease on our flat doesn't run out til end of december), but to be able to afford it we really need to get jobs out there... trouble is i know most of the jobs there start in november/december... what would anyone recommend to do? Also is there any way to get jobs together (or at least jobs at similar hours) so we can go boarding at the same time? Oh one more thing, do jobs like hotel work and bar work include accommodation and ski passes?
Thankyou :smile:

A lot of companies employ in January because of drop-outs etc. so try ringing them directly. If you want similar hours and lift pass / hire included, go with big companies like Crystal/Esprit/Scott Dunn.

What jobs are you willing to do BTW? If you do a standard hotel job with a big company you won't get paid very much (beer money if that) but live and eat and snowboard for free :smile:
Reply 35
Zweig
A lot of companies employ in January because of drop-outs etc. so try ringing them directly. If you want similar hours and lift pass / hire included, go with big companies like Crystal/Esprit/Scott Dunn.

What jobs are you willing to do BTW? If you do a standard hotel job with a big company you won't get paid very much (beer money if that) but live and eat and snowboard for free :smile:

Thanks for all the info :smile: So should we phone now (to get put on a waiting list as such) or should we wait til january to phone?
I'm not really bothered about the job, i don't mind cleaning hotels/making beds/waitressing etc. I'd be happy getting paid not very much if i get the accomodation and ski pass free :smile:
Reply 36
starsilver
Thanks for all the info :smile: So should we phone now (to get put on a waiting list as such) or should we wait til january to phone?
I'm not really bothered about the job, i don't mind cleaning hotels/making beds/waitressing etc. I'd be happy getting paid not very much if i get the accomodation and ski pass free :smile:

i'd phone now to be honest. Give them your details and send a CV if they ask. Come Dec/Jan time ring again to remind them that you're interested in a job.

If you're a couple why not look into Chalet hosting... you get same hours and the job is easier. You get more time off too i think...
Reply 37
Me and my boyfriend are really interested in doing the chalet hosting. Only thing is, we are planning to do a round the world trip in Jan, so could only probably do it from septemberish until then. Would this be a big problem for most employers? Also, do you think it would be a bad idea to apply for jobs that are advertised as longer and then just drop out in Jan time? Any advice would be great! xxx
Given the season doesn't start until mid December, you would probably find that most companies would be reluctant to take you on for around a month. It would be a bad idea to take on a job and then leave, as you would probably lose your "bond" with the company - the wad of cash that some companies take off you at the start of the season, to make sure you stay.
Reply 39
RhiDD
Me and my boyfriend are really interested in doing the chalet hosting. Only thing is, we are planning to do a round the world trip in Jan, so could only probably do it from septemberish until then. Would this be a big problem for most employers? Also, do you think it would be a bad idea to apply for jobs that are advertised as longer and then just drop out in Jan time? Any advice would be great! xxx

Hey you and your bf could get a job til jan, then me and my bf could come along in jan and take over your jobs :tongue: lol.

Quick Reply

Latest