The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People express themselves because humans as social beings, both want to know about other people, and want others to know about them. This is why we speak and write. Sometimes other tools, such as poetry, music and drawing, are more effective ways of expressing themselves, hence they are used.
Reply 2
Sometimes people don't have the means or the ability to express themselves otherwise. Sometimes people don't even realise that they are in fact expressing themselves. Hence why psychologists can look at a piece of art and tell us more about it's creator than the creator knew about themself! (Though I'm a bit cynical about such psychological analyses).
Reply 3
Angus-Higgins
(I asked this question in the "Chat" forum [on "The Student Room"], but it was locked due to bad posts, and I have decided to post it in this section ["Debate & Discussion"] in the hope of getting some good responses).

I was wondering this as I was told that someone "expressed themself through music".

Why do people have to do things like this? Why do people not just think?

Why do they "express themsevles"?

Any good answers are appreciated.

Angus Higgins

Why do some people dance and others don't?

I'm not sure where you're getting at this, are you an introvert? Maybe it is difficult for some introverts to understand extroverts and some extroverts to understand introverts, personally I think we're both extroverted and introverted only to various degrees. I don't see why you think music isn't thinking, it would be naive to assume the only language is verbal, it can be musical, physical, or emotional. Part of being alive is that we're limited, finite beings with multiple strengths and weaknesses, why think only to yourself? I think its rather selfish for someone to hold back a particular talent, then again I also think its selfish to profit of a talent sometimes, but alas, where would the world be without the poets, the thinkers, the artisans, the villains, these archetypes won't exist if we never express ourself, ideas will never evolve and we would stagnate into a sterile society devoid of any creativity.

A person who doesn't dance doesn't see the attraction in dancing, a person who dances may like wise not see the attraction in not dancing. Someone may think that boxing is a primal discipline incorporating human spirit and passion while others may see it is a barbaric activity rooted in nihilism.
Reply 4
If people 'just thought' and didn't express their ideas to other people they'd find it more difficult to develop their own ideas... I think it's important to have the input of others because you've only experienced so much yourself. And as Socrates said, we're social beings and when we have a particular idea we want reinforcement from others that share the same idea.
Reply 5
I would also recommend reading some of Nietzsche, his ideas of the 'Will to Power' and the 'Ubermensch' would give you profound insight into what it is to be human and what it is to be an individual amongst a collective.
Because music rocks.
Reply 7
Angus-Higgins
The thought arose from being told that the singer "expressed themself" (after being "sad") in a song. I was wondering why people did this (as I was informed that everyone does it), and why people just don't think of the problem in their head, and solve it. (It seems less time consuming, and also better overall).

I am pleased with the quality of reply (on average) thus far (in both their wording, and more particularly their relevance [this was a great problem in "Chat" {on "The Student Room"}]).

Angus Higgins

I think it's because they want other people to know how they feel. They want other people to have an idea of how they felt when they listen to the music they made.
Reply 8
Angus-Higgins
The thought arose from being told that the singer "expressed themself" (after being "sad") in a song. I was wondering why people did this (as I was informed that everyone does it), and why people just don't think of the problem in their head, and solve it. (It seems less time consuming, and also better overall).

I am pleased with the quality of reply (on average) thus far (in both their wording, and more particularly their relevance [this was a great problem in "Chat" {on "The Student Room"}]).

Angus Higgins

I just glanced at your profile, you seem like you could have some Asperger/Autistic traits, you may also be very intelligent, I have very little to go on this observation other than how you use your language. I am autistic, but it's quite mild, I think you might have a stronger degree of autism then I do. Could it be you find it difficult why people find the need to express themselves, maybe you're more concerned with the practical aspect of study instead of how flashy and decorative it is? Would this be a fair assumption to make?

I would put this bluntly, it all comes down to personality, they're people with Spockish aspects to their personality who are not at all in touch with their emotions and they're also very emotional people who do quite irrational things. It may just be you need to lighten up a little, and stop analysing human behaviour. Accept that people use their brain differently.
For some people if they didn't express themselves they would be repressing themselves. They feel like making music so they think why hold back and repress these feelings within themselves, so they express themselves in the form of music. Have you never wanted to do something/ say something and have held back? People may get sick of holding back and choose to let go. I myself am a cynic but I do think that we all, as human beings have amazingly unique personalities and we can learn about ourselves from responding to the expression of other people. We all have different talents and so why not show them off?
You find it hard to understand why people express themselves, I personally find it hard to understand why you find this hard to understand if that makes any sense?!?
Reply 10
Angus-Higgins
Why would they want people to know that? (I can see no advantage to it [it could be seen as a disadvantage {due to exposing a possible source of weakness}]).

Angus Higgins

why all the brackets?
Reply 11
Angus-Higgins
Why would they want people to know that? (I can see no advantage to it [it could be seen as a disadvantage {due to exposing a possible source of weakness}]).

Angus Higgins

That's a good question. I wish I knew really. I can understand it because I also have the desire to express myself, I just lack the means and the talent to do it currently. But I don't know why people feel the need to express themselves.

There is possibly some evolutionary reason for it. Perhaps making a public display of ones feelings was useful to draw attention to themselves when they need help from other people in their social group.
Reply 12
Angus-Higgins
To aid the efficiency of the reader. If one has little time, one can choose to read none of the brackets (my posts should make some sense without the brackets), and thus save time. When one has more time, one can select the level of detail one needs (i.e. 2 levels [above the normal] would be reading "()", and "[]"), and thus be more efficient.

Angus Higgins

do you think that you need to be more efficient here than other forums, then, as I notice you never use this system on other forums.
Reply 13
olibubble
why all the brackets?

He thinks it's more efficient. Which it most probably would be if other people were accustomed to communicating in a similar manner.
Reply 14
I'm growing to like Angus Higgins now :smile:, I originally thought he was trolling, but he's come up with a couple of good threads.
Reply 15
Angus-Higgins
To aid the efficiency of the reader. If one has little time, one can choose to read none of the brackets (my posts should make some sense without the brackets), and thus save time. When one has more time, one can select the level of detail one needs (i.e. 2 levels [above the normal] would be reading "()", and "[]"), and thus be more efficient.

Angus Higgins

As I pointed out, that would all make sense if we were used to communicating in that way. But we're not so it's actually less efficient because we have to process the text in a way different to how we normally do.
Reply 16
Angus-Higgins
Well (I believe) you must not have taken notice of many forums then. This is the way I think, and I use it on all of the forums I frequent. (I use it in e-mails, and other communication).

Angus Higgins

you dont use it on the overclockers forums. an i posted on there for a LOT longer than here, and you have never done it.
This is a very interesting question, and I suppose there would be lots of different approaches to it. Psychologically, it may be for acceptance - by showing people what we feel and think, we're then encouraged further by people listening, giving you compliments, etc. and we feel better about ourselves.

Biologically, I guess, evolutionary theory - by expressing emotion and feeling, we show our indivudual assets - our sensitivity, our tastes... which attract a mate. :biggrin:

I don't really know. Maybe you should make it your business to experiment? :p:
Reply 18
I respect people who express themselves. Personally I don't mind listening to people's problems and trying to help them in any way I can. Sometimes people can be very depressed and expressing themselves though music is probably the only way they can share their problems as maybe they are not confident enough to sit down and talk to someone one on one; or maybe they might be ashamed.
people express themselves so that they don't go mad with frustration. there may be a problem that they don't know how to solve or cannot solve on their own and so other people knowing would increase their chances of solving their problem. Other people will have different experiences and as the old saying goes 'a problem shared is a problem halved'.
people may also wish to spread a good feeling they have and share it with others in the hopes of brightening their day or letting their friends know that they are ok.

Latest

Trending

Trending