The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Any British Born Chinese Who Are More Socially Western??

just wondering if any BBC's here dress more western than they do chinese? and also your social aspects, have you more british friends than chinese?
also my dad is originally from hong kong, so he is still really strict and still has his chinese culture and traditions. he hates me going out with my british friends, and also would like me to go out with a chinese :s-smilie: but i do not find chinese guys attractive at all, and like english lads. has anyone else have parents like this???
comments appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My ex pretty much was western in behaviour/clothing/speech etc, but of chinese origin.
yes, im british and more westernised than not, the old values are mostly useless...

and the chinese guys ur referring to are not exactly socially adapted even tho theyre british. dont rule out our whole race as unattractive cos i dont.
Well i'm singaporean british and yeah my parents really frown upon me having british friends (especially girls), they have like this stereotype against them, so I try not to speak to them about my friends very much haha :woo:
Reply 4
I am extremely socially liberal-eg: gay rights, equal rights, abortion should be allowed... However fiscally, very conservative indeed. Capitalsim all the way :laugh:
chinese_scouser
just wondering if any BBC's here dress more western than they do chinese? and also your social aspects, have you more british friends than chinese?
also my dad is originally from hong kong, so he is still really strict and still has his chinese culture and traditions. he hates me going out with my british friends, and also would like me to go out with a chinese :s-smilie: but i do not find chinese guys attractive at all, and like english lads. has anyone else have parents like this???
comments appreciated! :smile:

Yeah, BBC here too HK Chinese. I only have one or two chinese friends, everybody else is british/other ethnic origin.

My parents are the same in some respects, well, my mum is anyway. She's quite adamant on my sister dating a Chinese guy ever since she realised her current relationship with a white person is getting serious after a couple of years.

I really hate it when my mum introduces me to her friends daughters. There's nothing more awkward than a pathetic attempt at match making with people you'll never be attracted to. I'm not particularly partial to chinese girls either, so I empathise.

On the upside, they don't mind me or any of my siblings going out with their friends, as long as we don't go past the "friend zone", it's all cool.
Mr steve Stifler: not saying oriental are unattractive, just in my opinion i find english attractive!

LOL and all your comments i read i have similiar experiences alot!!
Also anyones parents try to force them into education- UNI??? My parents did and it totally backfired and i quit within the first few months!!

Another thing i find is that my parents are strict and try to tell me what to do, but my brother who is 1 year older is allowed to do anything and everything, which i think isnt fair :frown:
Not exactly forced. They did try and push me to do medicine/denitistry/generally high paying jobs to suit the stereotype, but the decision to go to uni was entirely mine. I guess it's because they didn't have the choice to go to uni and I understand it's difficult to get into life without a decent educational background
Reply 8
Gah it annoys me when parents of whatever ethnicity expect their children to date only other people of that ethnicity! Love is love! If people of the other country are so bad why move to that country?
Irrelevance
Not exactly forced. They did try and push me to do medicine/denitistry/generally high paying jobs to suit the stereotype, but the decision to go to uni was entirely mine. I guess it's because they didn't have the choice to go to uni and I understand it's difficult to get into life without a decent educational background

yes all my family friends who are chinese, all their children are in uni studying science associated degrees such as biochemistry etc. i just find this not very interesting, and just wished my parents would give me a break & do what i want to do and not what they want!!
Reply 10
I wasnt allowed to sleepover at my friends houses for years!! :frown:

I would say have a very british way of thinking and hence why I only have 1 or 2 chinese friends! plus i find chinese people just not as friendly as british people!

Anywho, although i dnt follow them all, i still do believe in some of the chinese traditions..
and prefer chinese food to english food anyday!
chinese_scouser
yes all my family friends who are chinese, all their children are in uni studying science associated degrees such as biochemistry etc. i just find this not very interesting, and just wished my parents would give me a break & do what i want to do and not what they want!!

You mentioned your dad was from HK, was he there before England came in and started urbanising the hell out of it?

I know what you mean. My parents have a really really hard time letting go of me and the only way I can actually get any independance is at uni. Every time I go home, I always get told the same things: Don't walk alone at night in Liverpool, watch your drink and don't do stuff for a dare. They treat me like I've never been outside of the house at all, sometimes.

As for the older generations, I tend to ignore what they say but just nod along when they do talk. My grandma told me to "watch out for those white people" (As if they aren't everywhere :rolleyes: ) and not to marry a girl with long legs. Don't ask.
01_chiu_a
I wasnt allowed to sleepover at my friends houses for years!! :frown:

I would say have a very british way of thinking and hence why I only have 1 or 2 chinese friends! plus i find chinese people just not as friendly as british people!

Anywho, although i dnt follow them all, i still do believe in some of the chinese traditions..
and prefer chinese food to english food anyday!

ahh i was never allowed to sleepover at my friends either lol..!
i do like some chinese traditions too.. FOOD IS YUMMY- my parents always cook, english food on the odd occasion. but i do love chinese food & always eat out in chinese restaurants!! also family celebrations we always book in our fave restaurant!
also i love chinese new year.. especially when i still receieve the red lucky packets :smile: hehe!
lol irrelevance.. ur family sounds worse than mine!! i dont see what the problem is though with having british friends though. as both my aunties.. from my mums side are married to english and have kids to them. but my mum is more easy going than my dad is!!!
the thing is, it is because of the parents that many chinese kids dont integrate into britain... which is great for accepting different cultures compared to texas lets say. i find this ******* sociopathic tbh.
Okay, my input is only half-valid but whatever....I'm a (half) British born Chinese! But I'm really really Chinesey, like with culture and tradition and fooooooood and stuff..:smile:
Reply 16
chinese_scouser

thb these days china "dresses" western, so there really isnt much difference. I've got equal amount of white british friends as i do chinese, but I only got to know then at uni. Overall I am more british then I am chinese, but you cant help that if you live and get educated here.
My parents are pretty bad, but I've seen worse, to be honest. I think I'd like to settle down with a Chinese girl, but being 6' 2" doesn't really give me much hope :/

I think they're just a bit afraid of their heritage fading away and wanting it to go on. There tend to be two types of BBC's; the typical ones who can speak Canto/Mando and Hak-Ga who blend with only other Chinese people. These are the ones which the family is quite proud of. Then there are more westernised BBC's who prefer to integrate etc.
I used to date a girl who was born in the UK but her parents originated from mainland China, they used to hate how westernised she was but she just generally took their views with a pinch of salt. Older generations are always going to be more socially conservative and than their offspring. Just remember you don't have to live with your parents forever and you are free to make your own choices in life :smile:
Irrelevance
My parents are pretty bad, but I've seen worse, to be honest. I think I'd like to settle down with a Chinese girl, but being 6' 2" doesn't really give me much hope :/

I think they're just a bit afraid of their heritage fading away and wanting it to go on. There tend to be two types of BBC's; the typical ones who can speak Canto/Mando and Hak-Ga who blend with only other Chinese people.

whats wrong with being 6''2 and why not giv u much hope??

yes this type of BBC reminds me of a family friend, she is nearly the same age as me and probably 1 out of 3 chinese friends i have. we are very close and really good friends since we wer in primary school together. but she is in uni studying science degree and she is fluent in chinese etc.. my parents love her, and always seem to compare everything she does to me.. annoying or what!!!

Latest