The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Woo I am so glad I am not in the library this afternoon then, I knew there was a reason for me not going in until later :smile:

What actually happens in a fire alarm? Like, does everyone just leave all of their stuff? What if you forget your library card somehow and then can't get back through the entrance again???
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
oxymoronic
What actually happens in a fire alarm? Like, does everyone just leave all of their stuff? What if you forget your library card somehow and then can't get back through the entrance again???

Everyone sat still for a couple of minutes and then took all their stuff with them. I don't know what you're officially supposed to do though. But it's hard to concentrate on packing everything up with the alarms going off. And we were herded out of the building, I assume if you left your stuff inside you could have got back in somehow, signed in at the security desk or whatever. You'd probably just have to wait for it to clear a bit.

I didn't bother waiting around to be let back in and went elsewhere to work, but apparently when they decided it was safe there was a stampede to get back...
artorscience?
Grrr fire alarm. Leaving the library like that was a surreal experience. But not a productive one.

There was a random fire alarm in the JCMB the other week. It was bloody annoying.
Reply 183
oxymoronic
I feel bad about being nasty now, as I know it is just old age talking and I was equally as annoying by stealing chairs in first/second year! I've never got into the DHT scene bar to go and take photos of the view - what floor are you on? If it is high up it will be amazing when its sunny! I used to have Spanish up there but never found the faculty library...

I only have one exam, thank god... this semester is okay in terms of actual courses, I just have an incredibly early dissertation deadline (aka in 3 weeks) which is stressful... what about you? How are the year abroad plans coming along? You should go to the exchange fair on 11th November, all the cool people (aka me) will be there :smile:

The views are lovely! Eleventh floor, it's good. I couldn't find that library last year either, funnily enough; a little corner of it is the Russian library.

Why is your dissertation deadline so early? :eek: Just one exam for me too. Next semester will be kind of awful. I haven't given much thought to my year abroad yet, but we have to make provisional choices soon. It seems to far off to be real, if you know what I mean, and I might not even be able to go if I don't survive the course this year. :o: I didn't realise there was an exchange fair! What'll you be doing?

artorscience?
Grrr fire alarm. Leaving the library like that was a surreal experience. But not a productive one.

There was one in DHT too.
Reply 184
Absurd
The views are lovely! Eleventh floor, it's good. I couldn't find that library last year either, funnily enough; a little corner of it is the Russian library.

Why is your dissertation deadline so early? :eek: Just one exam for me too. Next semester will be kind of awful. I haven't given much thought to my year abroad yet, but we have to make provisional choices soon. It seems to far off to be real, if you know what I mean, and I might not even be able to go if I don't survive the course this year. :o: I didn't realise there was an exchange fair! What'll you be doing?

And William Robertson today too... think it was a test they couldn't get to go off :s-smilie:
Absurd

Why is your dissertation deadline so early? Just one exam for me too. Next semester will be kind of awful. I haven't given much thought to my year abroad yet, but we have to make provisional choices soon. It seems to far off to be real, if you know what I mean, and I might not even be able to go if I don't survive the course this year. I didn't realise there was an exchange fair! What'll you be doing?

For my degree, you start your dissertation in 3rd year, submit a proposal etc in April, and do research over the summer... which was obviously no end of fun attempting to organise whilst on exchange!

Are you finding Russian difficult this year then? Is it your actual degree or just your outside? The exchange fair is on 11th November, its in Appleton Tower... I will be there trying to convince people that it is fun to move to cold countries :smile:

Jillee
x

Am I the only person who didn't experience a fire alarm today, and never has done?? I've been here longer than you guys as well!
Reply 186
Jillee
And William Robertson today too... think it was a test they couldn't get to go off :s-smilie:

Bizarre! Is that the one next to CMB or the one near DHT? I always confuse the two.

oxymoronic
For my degree, you start your dissertation in 3rd year, submit a proposal etc in April, and do research over the summer... which was obviously no end of fun attempting to organise whilst on exchange!

Are you finding Russian difficult this year then? Is it your actual degree or just your outside? The exchange fair is on 11th November, its in Appleton Tower... I will be there trying to convince people that it is fun to move to cold countries :smile:

Am I the only person who didn't experience a fire alarm today, and never has done?? I've been here longer than you guys as well!

What is your degree? I should probably know this. Sounds like fun. I think we're supposed to start the dissertation whilst abroad and then I'll have to do a project or something for my other subject. How did you do your summer research?

It isn't difficult per se, but some of the classes are annoying and there is a lot of work to get through. It's part of my actual degree now, quite possibly a foolish mistake. Ooh, I'll probably come along for a little bit. How cold was it?
Reply 187
Absurd
Bizarre! Is that the one next to CMB or the one near DHT? I always confuse the two.

It's the one near DHT =)
oxymoronic

You're extremely lucky, it seems. :p:

I am well annoyed with the maths department. :frown: It looks like I'm gonna have to go in tomorrow at infect people so I can get an assignment done, or I'll basically have a 0 for 7.5% of one of my courses, since they can't guarantee that the special circumstances committee with be lenient. :rolleyes:

I hate being ill.
Absurd
How cold was it?

In jan and feb it was the coldest, and was generally somewhere between -10 and -20 in the day ... normally around the mid teens mark, then -20 to -30 at night. We have photos of little drunken outings where the temperature gauge behind us says -26'c yet we're running around and wearing clothes as if it is in positive figures. I miss it... although not at the moment, its too dark in november!!

Ah well, you'll have it all to come too if you do go to Russia!!

The exchange thing is in the afternoon btw, think it starts at 2pm or something :smile:
I never went to the exchanges fair. I suspect I didn't miss an awful lot though, as I had no choice :smile:

So, should I drop by my tutor in DHT this week and say hello, as I'm in Edinburgh just now. Or shall I pretend that I'm really studying very hard far far away and not let on that I'm skiving from being abroad.
Blergh. I am sicker than ever because I went in to KB yesterday and today to turn in my assignments.

Stupid move. :frown: But at least I won't fail anything.
Reply 192
Rainfaery
Blergh. I am sicker than ever because I went in to KB yesterday and today to turn in my assignments.

Stupid move. :frown: But at least I won't fail anything.

Well hallo Rainfaery! We bump into each other again. It must be fate, eh? So how goes it now that you've got to known the ins and outs of the physics dept? Now that you're getting used to things do you still feel the same about the course? No regrets at all?:o:
I think you guys should all leave Edinburgh before final year.
Its not worth the stress :frown:
(At least thats how it feels right now, ask me in June and I may agree or disagree with that statement depending on my classification)
Jamjar
Well hallo Rainfaery! We bump into each other again. It must be fate, eh? So how goes it now that you've got to known the ins and outs of the physics dept? Now that you're getting used to things do you still feel the same about the course? No regrets at all?:o:

Yup, I still love the course. No regrets at all. :smile:
Reply 195
Rainfaery
Yup, I still love the course. No regrets at all. :smile:

Well that's good. On the basis of what you've said about physics at Edinburgh, it is definitely one of the five on the UCAS list. :smile:
Hey guys, I've put up a new accommodation thread for entry 2010/11. I've messaged most of you already asking, but if you have a moment could you take a look and give me some feedback/proof reading/suggestions and so on, so that it's really in top shape when people start reading.
Reply 197
nearlyheadlessian
Hey guys, I've put up a new accommodation thread for entry 2010/11. I've messaged most of you already asking, but if you have a moment could you take a look and give me some feedback/proof reading/suggestions and so on, so that it's really in top shape when people start reading.

It looks good to me. Perhaps mention that the monthly direct debits are not quite monthly and they bill you for accommodation a bit oddly (seven instalments rather than nine or whatever). Seems trivial but quite a few people were unaware of this and had problems paying as a result.
nearlyheadlessian

I had a point when I read it but I don't remember now so I'll get back to you.

Its looking really good - way better than when I did it as I just made it all up as I went along! :smile:
Reply 199
Can't believe this is Week 9... eeek. :o:

Quick Reply

Latest