The Student Room Group

Can't stop nerves before exam, tips to calm down?

When I'm in an exam, I really panic, and I start to think about how I'm never going to get into the Uni I want and then I forget all my information. I feel like no matter how much time I spend revising it all just seems a waste in the end because of my nerves. I am resitting exams from last year, as I didn't get into my Firm or Insurance, tried to go through clearing, but couldn't find a course right for me.
Any tips on how to calm down during an exam or before? Also is it worth revising on the morning before the exam? Or will this just stress me out more. Thankyou.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well before exams my stomach starts to feel queasy! This is really not good for concentrating! So I take a paracetamol 20 minutes before entering the exam. But yours is just mental not physical, so I guess you should
Take Deep Breaths
Have Water Next To You <-- to calm you down!
Try to clear your mind before you enter the exam hall, for example try thinking of something positive that will calm you down! You can repeat this if your nerves return!.
Reply 2
maybe take a walk around the school before the exam to calm yourself.
and avoid the fizzy pop!
Reply 3
Chew gum in exam. Helps increase concentration, plus chewing can help releive the stress.
Reply 4
It's all about mind over matter I think personally. Once it gets to just before the exam and the exam in general, you have to remember there's nothing else you can do - you either pass or fail. And remember, failure isn't the worst thing. There's always other options. Your whole life doesn't ride on these exams... you have to remember that or else it truly will be overbearing.

Personally I've always reread my notes like once or twice in the morning but then give up. Not much new information will really enter your brain and it can just confuse you. Try and think over main topics in your head beforehand and it might destress you a little. :smile:

Good luck
Reply 5
thank you everyone, I felt stupid posting this, but I just need to be positive about these next few exams. I will definitely try everyone's suggestions and get back to you on how I have felt during my exams. Thankyou
Reply 6
:smile: Have a good build-up to the exam. So get a good nights sleep, wake up nice and early. Have a shower, a nice breakfast, arrive with plenty of time- this way you won't feel rushed or nervous, and there will be no added pressure on you.

Also, you can listen to some of your favourite music on the way to the exam to get you calm and happy :smile:

Bring some water with you so you can drink it during the exam, which is great to relax and get your mind focussed :smile: Control your breathing too. Dont get nervous :wink: Good luck!
Reply 7
josh_a_y
:smile: Have a good build-up to the exam. So get a good nights sleep, wake up nice and early. Have a shower, a nice breakfast, arrive with plenty of time- this way you won't feel rushed or nervous, and there will be no added pressure on you.

Also, you can listen to some of your favourite music on the way to the exam to get you calm and happy :smile:

Bring some water with you so you can drink it during the exam, which is great to relax and get your mind focussed :smile: Control your breathing too. Dont get nervous :wink: Good luck!

Thankyou, I suppose that's all I can do really. :smile:
Reply 8
In year 11 we were told to take Polos into the exam since the mint is calming or something:smile:
Reply 9
flea-x
In year 11 we were told to take Polos into the exam since the mint is calming or something:smile:

We are told we aren't allowed to bring any mints/chewing gum/ food. Just water. Cos apparently we might "cheat" by writing on the packaging of the food or on the actual food itself haha.
Reply 10
Josieee
When I'm in an exam, I really panic, and I start to think about how I'm never going to get into the Uni I want and then I forget all my information. I feel like no matter how much time I spend revising it all just seems a waste in the end because of my nerves. I am resitting exams from last year, as I didn't get into my Firm or Insurance, tried to go through clearing, but couldn't find a course right for me.
Any tips on how to calm down during an exam or before? Also is it worth revising on the morning before the exam? Or will this just stress me out more. Thankyou.

Hello, bless you for worrying so much!
Basically you just have to remember that it's ALL in there! You've been to the lessons, read the material, put the work in....and you WILL get back what you've put in :smile:
So...before you go into the exam hall, just go into the nearest bathroom, look at yourself straight on and say 'Yes. I can do this. I am clever, tough and I'm guna give em hell :wink:' then smile at yourself, because the exam is just you and some poxy piece of paper!
Just try hard not to panic, write everything you know and bluff what you don't :smile: think in the long term: yes, you want to pass because you've got a path to go down...but....if you don't get perfect grades it doesn't mean you're going to do!
Don't worry sweetie, and good luck with your exams x
Reply 11
Listen to some inspirational music when as you go to school i always listen to this on my ipod. I just love the movie and the soundtrack. Always gets my adrenaline flowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBIry65oN7M

And if thats fails, stare at your exam papers tell it to" STFU NOOB, I'M GNA PWN U!" Pep yourself, don't put yourself down.
Reply 12
Don't think of University. :facepalm2:

That's the last thing you should think of. :no:

Good luck and try some of the above stuff. :smile:
Reply 13
Josieee

I can totally understand here.
I had a panic attack during an exam last year and since then I have tried to change my approach to exams. I do all the revision I feel is required until I feel comfortable with my knowledge.
About an hour before the exam I sit and listen to music, or read a book.
Try not to cram things in the morning of your exam, it will make you more stressed.
Also I find a nice breakfast and a decent nights sleep the night before does me well
:smile:
all the best
Josieee

Well heres what I do:

Just remember that you've done the revision, you've put the time in and your well prepared. If there's a tricky question then chances are everybody taking the exam is gonna find that question hard so the grade boundaries will reflect it, and you've done your preparation so just do your best :smile:
If you find yourself stressed in the exam, just stop for a few moments, I think of previous questions/exams which I've found hard, but conquered in the end, and this will be no different.

I don't like to do any practise papers on the morning of the exam, because if theres a tough question it might shatter my confidence before I start. However I usually flick through a revision guide and look at formulaes etc. Try and feel confident about how much you do know.

Good luck.
Reply 15
I think most people get a little bit of an adrenaline rush but you need to learn to use it to get you going in the exam instead of panicking. Also I would avoid talking to people about what you've revised/what you haven't cause that can easily make you panic or just mix up everything you've learnt especially if they come up with some new random names! Good luck:smile:
have a walk around an avoid tanding outside the exam room for ages before where people are just saying "hey did you revise that bit about x" etc turn up on the dot
Reply 17
BunnyS:)
Hello, bless you for worrying so much!
Basically you just have to remember that it's ALL in there! You've been to the lessons, read the material, put the work in....and you WILL get back what you've put in :smile:
So...before you go into the exam hall, just go into the nearest bathroom, look at yourself straight on and say 'Yes. I can do this. I am clever, tough and I'm guna give em hell :wink:' then smile at yourself, because the exam is just you and some poxy piece of paper!
Just try hard not to panic, write everything you know and bluff what you don't :smile: think in the long term: yes, you want to pass because you've got a path to go down...but....if you don't get perfect grades it doesn't mean you're going to do!
Don't worry sweetie, and good luck with your exams x

Thank you so much :smile: I will actually do this, cos I can do my exams :smile: thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 18
Thanks all of you, seriously. I am such a panicker, I felt stupid starting this thread tho. But it turns out you've all helped me. I'll let you know how i feel after my exam tomorrow. I'm thinking positive thoughts all of today, and I'm having a nice meal out and then I'll go to bed at a decent time :smile: Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 19
just remember its not the end of the world if it goes badly.
You can always retake. Especially for like GCSES they dont mean that much when you get older aslong as you pass the ones to mainly worry about is Alevels if you want to get into Uni but even then you can always retake and you can only do your best soo it will all be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest