The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good film to watch

Scroll to see replies

The Boosh
Oh man, I thought Chasing Amy was great. Wasn't so much a fan of Jersey Girl, but it was OK (nowhere near as bad as fans claim it is!). I think I was expecting a very bad film with Chasing Amy, and was surprised how much I giggled at it.

BLACK RAGE!

Now, do we agree with the Clerk3 idea?

Do you mean the general idea that it should be done, or is there an idea floating around TSR that I don't know of, say, we kidnap Kevin, Jason, Brian and Jeff, and have them perform for us?
Training Day
kevin_123
I simply can't find a good film, these are some of the films I've seen that I like, I like pretty much any genre except from "Romance"

PLEASE NOTE!! I HAVE SEEN A LOT MORE FILMS THAN THIS BUT I AINT GONNA LIST THEM ALL HERE, THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF THE TYPES OF FILMS I LIKE. TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE FINDING THIS THREAD ANNOYING, I WOULD LIKE TO EMPHASISE THAT I HAVN'T SEEN EVERY GOOD FILM, I'VE JUST SEEN A LOT OF THE BEST FILMS AND AM FINDING IT HARD TO FIND MORE GOOD FILMS. I'm SORRY IF YOU'RE TO THICK TO UNDERSTAND THAT AND FOUND THIS THREAD CONFUSING. THIS GOES ESPECIALLY TO THE LITTLE ****** THAT NEGGED ME WITH JUST "In Bruges"

Shawshank Redemption
Fight Club
The Green Mile
The last King of Scotland
The Prestige
The Machinist
The Illusionist
Saw
The Descent
Lord of The Rings
Master and Commander
Law abiding citizen
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
American Beauty
American History X
Zombieland
Shaun of the Dead
American Gangster
Training Day
Alpha Dog
Donnie Darko
Forest Gump
Equilibrium
Gladiator
Idiocracy
Saving private Ryan

I'VE SEEN THEM ALL!!! THERE ARE NO GOOD FILMS LEFT!!

I don't think anybody has mentioned American Warewolf in London yet. This has still got good special effects even by today's standards. Looks better then animated FX.

There is a feature length documentary by Werner Herzog, called Grizzly Man. It's about this nutter who lives with bears for 13 years and eventually him and his gf get eaten. Really worth a watch.

The Killing Fields is about the Kamar Rouge and genocide in Cambodia. Not many people are aware of what happened there. Based on a true story.

Apocalypto

Last of the Mohicans

Three Kings
5 words.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Gangsters of New York I really liked
Reply 245
kevin_123

Yeah, out of 200+ films I own, I only have like 5-10 comedies, I just don't find them funny, lol.. seen leon and memento, great films! I'll get the hangover though.. :wink:

ahhh nooo! but comedies can be amazing! this saddens me as you seem to have good taste in films, minus funny ones of course.
here's some more which you most probably have seen but ill suggest anyways:

team america
south park the movie
borat
about schmidt (jack nicholson = total legend)
this is spinal tap (awesome awesome film, was really innovative at the time)
waynes world
withnail and i
little miss sunshine
old school (bit of a cheesy one, but good mindless silly fun)

also, for a non-film comedy.. flight of the conchords is my all-time favourite dvd, ive watched it the most of all my dvds. it's a wonderful series, really funny and orginal. watch clips on youtube to get an idea what its about.

that's just a few! defo give them a go if you havent seen them.
also i stand by my recommendation of oldboy... read reviews:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oldboy-DVD-Choi-Min-Sik/dp/B0006GVJLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265992874&sr=8-1
i only recently discovered how amazing the world of foreign films is! but now i love it. they are really different to your hollywood films, and better for it.

also dogma is a really interesting film (if you dont hate matt damon/ben affleck TOO much!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dogma-DVD-Ben-Affleck/dp/B0010LAZWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265993042&sr=1-1
bit of a cult classic, some great actors in it.. alan rickman, jason lee, selma hayek..it's worth it for seeing selma do a striptease in her underpants alone! chris rock is really good too, and jay and silent bob (from clerks). fab film, really need to rewatch it myself!

other random films that i love, off the top of my head:
the bourne trilogy (aaaaaamazing!)
good will hunting
kung fu hustle (stephen chow = legend)
nightmare before xmas and edward scissorhands (these are tim burton's finest works)
batman begins and the dark knight

argh so many! but asi said before, my taste in films = awesomeness. so trust me =D
Anoneemous
Blow i cant believe blow has not been mentioned
Lord of War

Thanks for starting this thread i have just downloaded about 50 films, you seem to have a lot of films more than me maybe
I have around 250 I think :p:
Reply 247
also, as many have already said... v for vendetta. modern classic. natalie portman is far too talented/beautiful/amazing for one human being! great story and supported by STUNNING visuals.

ooh and also sin city!! how could i forget sin city!! one of my fave films ever. like v for vendetta, its based on a comic book series. visually beautiful and really interesting stories, once again great cast... all the ingredients for a great film. think it would be to your taste as well.
Reply 248
kevin_123
Seen it, it's good!

Seen most of them, the list was only an example of films I've seen, I've seen a LOT more than them :p:

Yeah, out of 200+ films I own, I only have like 5-10 comedies, I just don't find them funny, lol.. seen leon and memento, great films! I'll get the hangover though.. :wink:

Sorry, Moulin Rouge makes that list void :p:

What the hell? what? I bet you're one of those really grumpy fat people that just moans all the time..

Seen it, yeah it's pretty good!

That's a joke, right?

Ahahah wow somebody tried hard..unfortunately I fit into neither criteria. This thread is a joke, especially the intro. Should've just stopped after "recommend me a good film". Hell the word good shouldn't even be there, I mean could you be anymore vague and subjective? As a true film aficionado I'm not going to give this thread a proper reply because op's obviously lazy and clueless.
Reply 249
JacobM
Primer will keep you occupied for hours. And is great science fiction

Seconded :yes:
calamityx
Ahahah wow somebody tried hard..unfortunately I fit into neither criteria. This thread is a joke, especially the intro. Should've just stopped after "recommend me a good film". Hell the word good shouldn't even be there, I mean could you be anymore vague and subjective? As a true film aficionado I'm not going to give this thread a proper reply because op's obviously lazy and clueless.
Lazy and clueless? I replied to about EIGHTY posts yeterday which took ages so dont call me lazy. And if this thread is so stupid, why did you even bother saying it is stupid? Oh and the thread is on ten pages so it's not that bad..
Reply 251
kevin_123
Godfather trilogy is NOT the best trilogy.. the best trilogy is either star wars (I don't like star wars but anyway) or Lord of the rings, in my opinion, lord of the rings..

Godfather 3 is terrible so it can't be the best trilogy..

Lord of the rings trilogy was fantastic but in terms of story telling and pure film making - the godfather had little to work with compared to sci-fi and fantasy films, in my opinion hence, godfather trilogy best trilogy ever - pacino, de niro & andy garcia were best in that year of acting by a distance.
To me a good film is all about acting, even if the story is basic or hard to follow as long as the acting is good, you wouldnt care - perfect example - Glengarry Glen Ross - watch that.
Reply 252
kevin_123
Seen a few of them, don't rcommend so many though, recommend one or two REALLY good ones!

Seen blood diamond, great film. Airplane? isn't that known as one of the worst films ever?

:o: Airplanes good if you like comedy :yes:
inglorus bas*terds
airplane
Reply 254
Black hawk down
Shooter
College Road Trip
Reply 256
Start watching Bollywood. :wink:
Dinendal Leralonde
Do you mean the general idea that it should be done, or is there an idea floating around TSR that I don't know of, say, we kidnap Kevin, Jason, Brian and Jeff, and have them perform for us?

I think Kevin Smith has made public that he has considered the idea. Whether or not he will try to find the cash and give it a go is another matter, but there are suggestions on the internet that he has thought about/toyed with the idea:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/130974/is_clerks_3_on_the_cards.html
Reply 258
butterfly effect
road to perdition
Kattt_452
Me Without You - set at the time of The Clash etc, not sure if it would be aimed at girls more but I could see guys getting into it.

Thanx!!
Downloaded Stormbreakers, St. Trinnian's, December Boys, London to Brighton, An Education, the History Boys, Driving Lessons, Eden Lake, Before Night Falls, Starter for Ten, the Hole, Tormented, Wild Child and Virtual Sexuality.

Quick Reply

Latest