The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
theisticandy
I've got this really strong fear of mushrooms, I thought it was a kinda unique thing to me, but recently looked it up on the internet and it even has a proper name and everything. I was wondering if anyone else has the same phobia. A link I found on another website kinda sums up my fear of mushrooms http://www.unusualphobias.com/caterpillar.html (point number one)
However personally my fear of them is even worse than his :s-smilie:

Does anyone share my fear in mushrooms or have any unusual phobias?

Intriguing... what is so scary about mushrooms?

They aren't going to eat you alive now... i think mushrooms have more to be scared of humans than vice versa!
Reply 2
actually thats a phobia developed from our ancestoral past. Think about it, many years ago we would fear mushrooms because they could be poisonous and cause us harm. i dont think its weird, at least you can avoid mushrooms. Im emetophobic which is fear of vomitting. I know its stupid, but its actually a very common phobia.
Reply 3
i have a phobia of whales and no one understands that either :-\

mushrooms are actually gross though and i dont want them anywhere near my food.
Revenged
Intriguing... what is so scary about mushrooms?

They aren't going to eat you alive now... i think mushrooms have more to be scared of humans than vice versa!

They are intergalactic spaceships that were deployed by little green aliens to spy on us.
Reply 5
I really don't know what in particular is scary about them, but they scare the living daylights out of me, and as was mentioned in that article
the bigger/more colourful/more unusual, the scarier :P I guess its the same way some people are afraid of spiders, to me it could be hard to understand as I have no problem with them.
I will not move within a 10 metre radius of them, especially when they are alive, and even looking at pcitures of them sends a chill down my spine :s-smilie:

The point about culture may be true, but I find it strange as both my parents and grandparents love picking mushrooms (one time when I was little my grandparents in Russia took me with them when they went to pick mushrooms, I saw one of those red ones with white spots, and was screaming non stop for literally 10 minutes until they rushhed me out of the forest :| )
what kind of mushrooms?
Reply 7
gordon2002
what kind of mushrooms?

in my personal case, ALL mushrooms, however it goes on a scale of scaryiness as mentioned in my last post :P
gordon2002
what kind of mushrooms?

any species in the phylum Zygomycota.
Reply 9
darkenergy
They are intergalactic spaceships that were deployed by little green aliens to spy on us.

****... seriously... OMG and all the time i was eating them!

If only I were a subscriber, I could be cruel and post lots of pictures of exotic mushrooms... :evil:
theisticandy
in my personal case, ALL mushrooms, however it goes on a scale of scaryiness as mentioned in my last post :P

Hmmm... Strange. Don't worry I know a pair of twins who are afraid of sun-flowers, so you're not alone!
Revenged
****... seriously... OMG and all the time i was eating them!

don't worry, they can survive quite easily in your digestive tract.
Reply 13
theisticandy

So the colourful, human eating ones are the scariest ones then...!!! ARGH!

seriously this is really weird... i'm sceptible if you are even scared of them in fact!

if you are i suggest you go to woods and kick mushrooms to millions of pieces...

it would not only allow you to vent your anger on a awful fungus, it'll allow you to conquer your fear of the beast!
Reply 14
darkenergy
don't worry, they can survive quite easily in your digestive tract.

That's great to know... thanks
Revenged
So the colourful, human eating ones are the scariest ones then...!!! ARGH!

seriously this is really weird... i'm sceptible if you are even scared of them in fact!

if you are i suggest you go to woods and kick mushrooms to millions of pieces...

it would not only allow you to vent your anger on a awful fungus, it'll allow you to conquer your fear of the beast!

why would I start a thread on it if I wasn't scared of them?!

and there is no way I would kick mushrooms, I am not going that close to them nor do I want bits of mushroom on my clothes :P

P.S. My only other phobias are more normal, claustrophobia and fear of heights :wink:
Fleece
i have a phobia of whales and no one understands that either :-\

mushrooms are actually gross though and i dont want them anywhere near my food.

I guess thats a convenient phobia to have as you don't really come into contact with whales all that often!
Reply 17
theisticandy
why would I start a thread on it if I wasn't scared of them?!

and there is no way I would kick mushrooms, I am not going that close to them nor do I want bits of mushroom on my clothes :P

Ok... perhaps you are... any reason that you hate them?

Did they eat your brother or something! :wink:
Reply 18
Good side: You won't get addicted to Magic Mushrooms :smile:

No to drugs. Yeah. :redface:
well all phobias have a name, basically its jsut latin words strung together. some people have fears of the strangest things, its jsut how people see thigns and what could happen, for example yoyur fear of mushrooms, could be somthing along the lines of that mushroom my be highly poisonous and could kille me with its toxins, or it is producing spores which could kill me, but then again there are people who have .... hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (thats a fear of long words) some peoples phobias may be strange , but everyone has a fear of something... you might jsut not know you do!

Latest

Trending

Trending