The Student Room Group

GCSE Revision & Exam Tips Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm just wondering if anyone has some sort of a checklist for German writing (Edexcel)? As in the list of things that you need to include in your writing to achieve a certain grade.

I have one for Spanish, so if anyone is interested, please let me know. :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by ameelia22
Anyone here got any helpful revision material for the poetry part of the exam? I need help linking my poems - I was wondering if anyone has any recourses highlighting which poems best go with which and why.

(AQA Spec, Cluster 1 and 2)

Hi :smile: I don't have that, as such, or at least not in a format that I can send to you but I have some essays on my computer which I did under controlled conditions and gained full marks on cluster 1, if they would help you to see how to link. I did have a table showing how to link the poems on m computer but I've just had a look for it and it seems to have disappeared. If I manage to find it I'll post it though, but it doesn't go into any detail. I can answer any questions you have about linking poems cluster 1 only if you tell me where you are stuck?

Original post by Buongiorno
I'm just wondering if anyone has some sort of a checklist for German writing (Edexcel)? As in the list of things that you need to include in your writing to achieve a certain grade.

No, but I am about to start planning for my german writing (AQA) and usually the first thing I do is write some sort of checklist (I have one saved atm I could send to you but it's outdated). I could post that when I've done it (most likely by Saturday) if that would help, even though I'm another exam board?
Original post by BookWormShanti

No, but I am about to start planning for my german writing (AQA) and usually the first thing I do is write some sort of checklist (I have one saved atm I could send to you but it's outdated). I could post that when I've done it (most likely by Saturday) if that would help, even though I'm another exam board?

I started thinking about it yesterday and came up with the following checklist:

* At least 3 tenses (ideally, pluperfect and conditional as well)
* Modal verbs in past tense
* seit + present tense
* Dative pronouns like mir
* Using 'um zu' to mean 'in order to'
* A range of justified, interesting opinions
* Idiomatic expressions to make it sound more authentic and ''German'' + some less usual vocabulary
* Little words like besonders; ab und zu
* Superlatives and comparatives
* Subordinate clauses (weil, dass, als, wenn, bevor, wo, obwohl)
* Prepositions

Another exam board is fine, it would be interesting to compare.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
Hello All,

Well I was reading most of the advices given, but all are like listen to your teachers...coursework ... and so on, I am currently a private student at grade 12, I have failed 3 subject last year at grade 11, and I am retaking them this year lets wish I pass, though I switched one subject to another which I never took which is business, then I also failed ICT which I got pretty mad.

I am currently taking
Physics
Biology
ICT
Business

Now I haven't started at all at Business and ICT and my exams for ICT alternative to practical are in mid april, and the others are in May, I have started science since the beginning of the year and have private teachers for that, and we are finishing soon and will soon start answering all the past papers, though I am afraid of those 2 which I haven't started and I can bearly focus on studying on them I wanted to know some advices on how to get at least B on those 2 even though I am like a month and a half away.

I have this computer issue which I don't know what to do like whenever I wake up I gotta sit on, and whenever I come back home the same happens, I always think of taking it off and throw it somewhere so I can't use it since I watch series and it takes alot of my time, but I need it since I am taking ICT ... so I am kinda stuck ... if anyone knows what I can do it would be best.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44

Yes Please
Original post by d.luffy
Hello All,

Well I was reading most of the advices given, but all are like listen to your teachers...coursework ... and so on, I am currently a private student at grade 12, I have failed 3 subject last year at grade 11, and I am retaking them this year lets wish I pass, though I switched one subject to another which I never took which is business, then I also failed ICT which I got pretty mad.

I am currently taking
Physics
Biology
ICT
Business

Now I haven't started at all at Business and ICT and my exams for ICT alternative to practical are in mid april, and the others are in May, I have started science since the beginning of the year and have private teachers for that, and we are finishing soon and will soon start answering all the past papers, though I am afraid of those 2 which I haven't started and I can bearly focus on studying on them I wanted to know some advices on how to get at least B on those 2 even though I am like a month and a half away.

I have this computer issue which I don't know what to do like whenever I wake up I gotta sit on, and whenever I come back home the same happens, I always think of taking it off and throw it somewhere so I can't use it since I watch series and it takes alot of my time, but I need it since I am taking ICT ... so I am kinda stuck ... if anyone knows what I can do it would be best.

Get some freakin will power :work:

May be put on a parental lock or something, (providing you don't know the password) limiting the hours you can log on, and therefore providing your not a dumb ass, you'll use the hours you have wisely - or at the very least split them up, and be like - OK i'll watch this episode of Lost, and then I'll have 2 hours to do my ICT.
Can anyone suggest tips for when you completely sizzle out of creativity during the exams? I had my English Lit mock a couple of weeks ago, and, after answer the two main sections, I came to the poetry section and completely lost sense of everything. I literally just sat there and couldn't annotate the sheet with anything whatsoever. So, my question is, how do you prevent loss of creativity during an exam?

I know one of the key solutions to this sort of problem is practicing, but I also have a lot of other subjects to revise on (maths!) and I just don't have the time to keep doing paper after paper. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply 47
Original post by ameelia22
Get some freakin will power :work:

May be put on a parental lock or something, (providing you don't know the password) limiting the hours you can log on, and therefore providing your not a dumb ass, you'll use the hours you have wisely - or at the very least split them up, and be like - OK i'll watch this episode of Lost, and then I'll have 2 hours to do my ICT.

well infact now I know why, it's all because of the series, I am nearly done anyways, today will be the last day, tomorrow I will start studying.
Reply 48
Thank you very much for this! Much appreciated.

Quality really is more than quality analyzing one line in a lot of detail can get you more marks than several only fleetingly.

Quick error on English section I found, the rest is great though :smile: Thanks again!
Reply 49
Original post by Implo
Thank you very much for this! Much appreciated.

Quality really is more than quality analyzing one line in a lot of detail can get you more marks than several only fleetingly.

Quick error on English section I found, the rest is great though :smile: Thanks again!

thanks for pointing that out :h:
Original post by user
Yes Please

GCSE Spanish - Writing

To get a grade C you MUST include:
At least two different tenses
A simple negative
Simple opinions with reasons using porque
Adjectives to add description and detail
Simple adverbs eg normalmente, generalmente
Simple connectives eg y, o, pero, también, sin embargo, además
Sequencing phrases eg primero, luego, después
Time expressions eg durante el día, el día siguiente, por la mañana/tarde/noche

To increase your marks try to use:
The we form as well as I eg amos/emos ending
The imperfect tense to add description eg era, estaba, había
A conditional to say what you would like to do eg (No) me gustaría + infinitive
Less common negatives eg nunca, nada, nadie,
Contrasting adjectives eg es caro pero es interesante
A comparative eg es más grande que
Adverbs of frequency eg siempre, a veces
Creo que to give an opinion
A more complex opinión eg Lo bueno/malo es que…
Other connectives eg además, sin embargo, que, donde
Si eg si hace sol…

To get higher than a C you need to include:
Preterite, present and future tenses
Verbs referring to different people eg I, he.she, we, they
The imperfect tense to add description in the past
A variety of reference to the future eg me gustaría + infinitive, quiero + infinitive, iré
Longer sentences using a variety of connectives and time phrases eg además, sin embargo, que, donde, antes, por eso
Less common negatives eg nunca, nada, nadie
A comparative or a superlative eg es más grande que, es el mejor
A more complex opinión eg Lo bueno/malo es que.., creo/pienso que.., para mí..

To impress the examiner and aim for an A* include:
Complex sentences with a mixture of tenses eg use the preterite to say what you did combined with the imperfect to describe what something was like, use antes + imperfect pero ahora + present or use si + present + future
Relative pronouns eg donde, cuando, que
Adverbs eg normalmente, siempre, bastante
More complex opinions on issues with justification eg environmental impact of travelling by plane
More varied opinions eg lo que más me gusta, me da asco, me molesta
Comparative and superlative adjectives eg lo más importante es que, lo mejor/peor es que
A variety of negatives eg tampoco, falta, ni, ningún
Para + infinitive to say in order to do something
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
thanks for the help
Reply 52
how does son of Rambow challeges the rites of passage genre?
Confessions of a scientist - my observations of the art of english literature/language

Basically, i hate the arts, hence why I will no longer be studying them after 7 weeks, but hers my tips for A*ing poetry :smile:

What I do, and I have yet to drop from the magical garden of A*/A land in english literature and language essays is to basically SCREW YOUR NOTES

Seriously, do not even consider refering to notes you have copied down in class, because everybody will pull that tripe in the exam and you wont look special.

Try and develop your own interpretations of the poems, even if they sound beserk - I wrote that heaney in 'midterm break' was advocating a transdimensional war! But I backed it up with evidence and got the high mark

Also, constantly practice with timed essays. I've been doing two a week and my writing has improvied from low A to solid A* in year 11. All beause I took onboard my teacher's (who is a very strict marker) advice.

Also, because I do alot of reading in my day, I have a large bank of vocab to cover my essays with, which gets you into the 'solid A yard', bonus marks if vocab is appropiate to theme and poem

Moreover, LINK. If a line in a poem reminds you of something, SAY SO. But only if it relates to the theme, as it will impress the examiner since you can draw from knowledge and link to poem

Top tips from me:

- BE ORIGINAL, or else you will not enter A* land
- Use complex vocab
- Have an opinion, say what YOU think
- LINK to things outside poetry

And believe you me, after having been taught by the most rigged marker in the whole of english, you'll A*
Reply 54
Buongiorno: do you know the mark scheme for french?

GCSE Spanish - Writing

To get a grade C you MUST include:
At least two different tenses
A simple negative
Simple opinions with reasons using porque
Adjectives to add description and detail
Simple adverbs eg normalmente, generalmente
Simple connectives eg y, o, pero, también, sin embargo, además
Sequencing phrases eg primero, luego, después
Time expressions eg durante el día, el día siguiente, por la mañana/tarde/noche

To increase your marks try to use:
The we form as well as I eg amos/emos ending
The imperfect tense to add description eg era, estaba, había
A conditional to say what you would like to do eg (No) me gustaría + infinitive
Less common negatives eg nunca, nada, nadie,
Contrasting adjectives eg es caro pero es interesante
A comparative eg es más grande que
Adverbs of frequency eg siempre, a veces
Creo que to give an opinion
A more complex opinión eg Lo bueno/malo es que…
Other connectives eg además, sin embargo, que, donde
Si eg si hace sol…

To get higher than a C you need to include:
Preterite, present and future tenses
Verbs referring to different people eg I, he.she, we, they
The imperfect tense to add description in the past
A variety of reference to the future eg me gustaría + infinitive, quiero + infinitive, iré
Longer sentences using a variety of connectives and time phrases eg además, sin embargo, que, donde, antes, por eso
Less common negatives eg nunca, nada, nadie
A comparative or a superlative eg es más grande que, es el mejor
A more complex opinión eg Lo bueno/malo es que.., creo/pienso que.., para mí..

To impress the examiner and aim for an A* include:
Complex sentences with a mixture of tenses eg use the preterite to say what you did combined with the imperfect to describe what something was like, use antes + imperfect pero ahora + present or use si + present + future
Relative pronouns eg donde, cuando, que
Adverbs eg normalmente, siempre, bastante
More complex opinions on issues with justification eg environmental impact of travelling by plane
More varied opinions eg lo que más me gusta, me da asco, me molesta
Comparative and superlative adjectives eg lo más importante es que, lo mejor/peor es que
A variety of negatives eg tampoco, falta, ni, ningún
Para + infinitive to say in order to do something
Hi all,

I am working hard on a website to support GCSE AQA Science revision for Core, Additional and Further.

It contains links to past papers, mark schemes, gives grade boundaries, electronic text books, ISA help, links to the very best websites and a growing amount of unique content.

What I really need is some feedback to get it refined to what students really want (I'm an old git!).

Please have a look and let me know what you think.....

https://sites.google.com/site/notredamescience/home

Cheers,

Becclestim
Original post by BookWormShanti
Hi :smile: I don't have that, as such, or at least not in a format that I can send to you but I have some essays on my computer which I did under controlled conditions and gained full marks on cluster 1, if they would help you to see how to link. I did have a table showing how to link the poems on m computer but I've just had a look for it and it seems to have disappeared. If I manage to find it I'll post it though, but it doesn't go into any detail. I can answer any questions you have about linking poems cluster 1 only if you tell me where you are stuck?

can you send it to me as well please :smile:
Reply 57
i found a pretty awesome way to create a revision time table:
if you go to

www.getrevising.co.uk

and it makes one for you.
- you enter your exams, dates & times
- when you want to start revising
- other commitments

and it tells you what to revise and when.

you have to register your email and a password but only so it can save your timetable.

its really good and is helping me as i am taking my gcses Summer 2011 :smile:

hope this helped

Zoe x
Reply 58
if you have any questions or quiries to pass on to an aqa english examiner please get back to me asap because tommorow is the last day i meet him.
thanks.
here is the thread linking to it:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...aqa%20examiner
Reply 59
Original post by nikita.d
if you have any questions or quiries to pass on to an aqa english examiner please get back to me asap because tommorow is the last day i meet him.
thanks.
here is the thread linking to it:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...aqa%20examiner

I saw this too late (and the thread link is invalid) but what was he like when you met him? Say anything useful?

Quick Reply

Latest