The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Non-Calculator Maths (6/6/11)

So I thought I'd start a discussion thread on this.

What topics does everyone think is going to come up? How are you revising?
Reply 1
I made one for this yesterday, but no one replied to mine, so I thought I'd better reply to this.
I'm assuming this is the module five of modular maths (or else it's a co-incidence that linear and modular are on the same day).
I've been reading through revision guides and doing questions, and have done a practice paper. That's about it so far, cos I have four other exams that week (five if you count calculator maths).
Reply 2
I just revise everything because I don't know what topics go under which exam :frown:. Please help!

Plus I have a business exam 2 hours before the maths :frown:.
Reply 3
Plus I have a business exam 2 hours before the maths

Me too! Lathom's Dairy??
My school's maths department took every past paper they could find, and put a spreadsheet together which highlighted the probability of a topic coming up. Me being foolish, kept putting it off to ask for a copy, and missed my chance to get one.

Now, I'm doing past papers, going through revision guides and going over the MathsWatch CD.
I still (after having it explained about 7 million times) don't understand how the heck you factorise something. Anyone got any good tips/explanations that might make it clearer? It would be greatly appreciated :smile: x
Reply 6
I still (after having it explained about 7 million times) don't understand how the heck you factorise something. Anyone got any good tips/explanations that might make it clearer? It would be greatly appreciated x

For ones where the coefficent of x^2 is 1, find two numbers that add to make the coefficient of x, and multiply to give the end number (the one being added or taken away). Then put them in brackets with x.
For ones where the coefficient of x^2 is > 1, multiply that by the last number to get what your bracket numbers need to add to get, as well as multiplying to get the end number. Then you take the numbers that work for this, and substitute them back into the equation in the place of the x term. Factorise each half of the equation, then put the two factorised bits together to make your answer.

I don't know if that makes much sense, but hopefully it may help :smile:

Example for the first one: Factorise x^2 -10x + 25
Find two numbers that multiply to get 25, and add to get -10. These numbers are -5 and -5. Put them into brackets, and the equation is factorised: (x-5)(x-5)

Example for the second type: Factorise 2x^2 + 3x - 5
2 multiplied by -5 is -10. So your two numbers need to multiply to give -10, and add to give 3. These numbers are 5 and -2. Put them back into the equation gives 2x^2 - 2x +5x -5. Factorise each half: 2x(x-1) and 5(x-1). Put them together like this: (2x+5)(x-1), and here is your answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kimiechi
I made one for this yesterday, but no one replied to mine, so I thought I'd better reply to this.
I'm assuming this is the module five of modular maths (or else it's a co-incidence that linear and modular are on the same day).
I've been reading through revision guides and doing questions, and have done a practice paper. That's about it so far, cos I have four other exams that week (five if you count calculator maths).

Nope, I do AQA Linear Maths. which is harder :wink: I'm just doing past papers, using youtube maths videos, Mathswatch and hoping for some luck to get me an A*
Reply 8
Original post by butterflylights
I still (after having it explained about 7 million times) don't understand how the heck you factorise something. Anyone got any good tips/explanations that might make it clearer? It would be greatly appreciated :smile: x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-rsltsWnM&feature=related - watch that !
Reply 9
Nope, I do AQA Linear Maths. which is harder

I'm glad I don't do Linear, I'm finding it hard enough to cram in a year's worth of maths, never mind two :/

have you got access to mymaths? that will probably have a really good lesson on how to do it :smile:
Reply 11
Hi, I didn't get the factorisation or ANYTHING much until I found a site called Conquer Maths. You need to subscribe to it, BUT they do give you 16 free lessons before you sign up. Under the Algebra section, there are loads of tutorials on factorisation, it's brilliant. Honestly, this site is the best, most straightforward that i have ever come across. I really am no good Maths but I go two A's in Mod 1 and 5, through using Conquer Maths. Let me know how you go with it. Even if you look
today, it should help for tomorrow x
Reply 12
[QUOTE="rhiannontins;31881835"]have you got access to mymaths? that will probably have a really good lesson on how to do it :smile:[/QUOTE try Conquer Maths, website, it's incredible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending