The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

How to get to Birmingham uni from new street station

New street station is the main station where you arrive in the city from whereever you came from by rail, but how do you get to the uni from there?

Is it possible to walk it? (looked at the google and there seems a fair bit of distance between station and uni, but I'm not sure how long it would take to cover it by foot)

I realise that you can get another train from new street station which goes to the uni's station, how much would this cost?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2

So I take it from you, that its not really an option to walk it from the station to the uni?
Reply 3
Doesn't Birmingham have two universities?
Reply 4
Original post by W.H.T
So I take it from you, that its not really an option to walk it from the station to the uni?

Well you could walk anywhere lol. It would just take you a lot longer to walk it :smile: and the train doesn't cost much.
Original post by W.H.T
New street station is the main station where you arrive in the city from whereever you came from by rail, but how do you get to the uni from there?

Is it possible to walk it? (looked at the google and there seems a fair bit of distance between station and uni, but I'm not sure how long it would take to cover it by foot)

I realise that you can get another train from new street station which goes to the uni's station, how much would this cost?

I don't think it's any more than £3 return from New Street to University :smile: You theoretically could walk it, but it would take a good long time!
You won't be able to walk it. It's way too far. Myabe try the 120,126,127 buses but I'm not really sure if they stop near the university. They go towards that area though.
Original post by BritGirl
Doesn't Birmingham have two universities?

3 :smile: Aston, Birmingham City and the University of Birmingham, but the latter is the only one with a train station
Get a train to University station - £1.90 return.
Reply 9
Original post by broadwayrachael
I don't think it's any more than £3 return from New Street to University :smile: You theoretically could walk it, but it would take a good long time!

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Get a train to University station - £1.90 return.

so £3 or £1.90 ? (including return)

maybe one of you is quoting the peak, and the other quoting the off peak price. :dontknow:. I'll be heading there from new street station between 8-9am btw, so peak time it is for me - I think.
Reply 10
Also quite a few of you have told me its too far to walk, roughly how long would it take though? (has no-one tried this before? :confused: )
Reply 11
just get the bus?

i forgot what bus it was tho, contact the uni and ask
Original post by W.H.T

maybe one of you is quoting the peak, and the other quoting the off peak price. :dontknow:. I'll be heading there from new street station between 8-9am btw, so peak time it is for me - I think.

Standard Single: £1.80
Off peak day return: £1.90 (after 9:30 only, not valid between 16:29 and 18:00 either)
Standard day return: £2.50
First class single: £3.40
First class return: £6.80
Yeah the local train toward Bourneville stops at the university and runs about every 12 minutes from New street. A single ticket would probably cost about £2 but I'm not sure about this.
Out of interest, where are you travelling from?
Original post by W.H.T

I was estimating :smile: I haven't visited since the beginning of April so my memory is a little hazy!
Original post by W.H.T

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+get+to+Birmingham+uni+from+new+street+station

:biggrin:
Reply 17
Return ticket from new street to university is £1.80 without a 16-25 railcard, £1.20 with. So much quicker to get the train; you wouldn't walk unless you enjoyed it.
Reply 18
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Out of interest, where are you travelling from?

Bournemouth. Six hour coach journeys there and back *sigh*
Original post by Crushy
Bournemouth. Six hour coach journeys there and back *sigh*

Jeez, and i though getting to London from Stoke would be a trek...

On another note, my friend had to buy another ticket as she was leaving new street station when we came back from the uni because she didn't have her return ticket with her- she didn't take it out of the machine. For some reason, he wouldn't accept her Stoke ticket as proof that she'd payed for a journey OR the outbound ticket to the uni station.

When i tryed to ask why she'd been led off around a corner, explaining that she was part of our group and we were running late, the guy was totally unhelpful and didn't answer any of my questions or even seem to understand what i was saying. He pretty much ignored me.

The staff at the station were just generally really rude- being really short with my friend when she mentioned that she had a railcard, and refusing to listen to her explanation of what had happened, and it's a shame because my friend's so... docile.

Just wondering, are they normally such arrogant pains at the station, or were we just unlucky?

Quick Reply

Latest