The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Mephestic
How are you guys revising for these essays? I'm just trying to write model answers on possible questions and them try remember them?

Don't know what else to do!

Please bear in mind that all of us are students here, and some of us actually haven't even covered a full topic yet in class. So we are not 'revising' for anything..
Mephestic

god I hope that new A2 psychology book we all ordered helps...I have need to finish making my model answers so I can start the revision side.

You guys ok to give me feedback on the answers if I post them here once they are done? Without me having any teachers to ask im having to use guess work on what is sufficient and what isnt!

yeah its really good! promise! how many model answers are you intending to make per topic?

and of course! with the amount of redrafts I'm going to have to do on my model answers I'll be a pro at knowing whats good :rolleyes:

Original post by EffKayy
Please bear in mind that all of us are students here, and some of us actually haven't even covered a full topic yet in class. So we are not 'revising' for anything..

I don't know about you but I'm really trying to revise as i go, my teachers are setting us one timed essay per week minimum so its basically just straight revision up until the exam, at the same time as learning all the new stuff :frown: oh welllll :smile: x
Reply 82
god I hope that new A2 psychology book we all ordered helps...I have need to finish making my model answers so I can start the revision side.

You guys ok to give me feedback on the answers if I post them here once they are done? Without me having any teachers to ask im having to use guess work on what is sufficient and what isnt!

Which textbook are you guys using?
I am using a red book by Michael W Eysenck called A2 Level Psychology. I think it's a bit rubbish personally. Need a new one!
Original post by hhh123
I am using a red book by Michael W Eysenck called A2 Level Psychology. I think it's a bit rubbish personally. Need a new one!

Myself, Mephestic and EffKayy have all bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-A2-AQA-Jean-Marc-Lawton/dp/144412336X/ref=pd_sim_b20

Mine arrived yesterday and its really good!! lots and lots of studies and evaluative points and extra reading stuff :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by hhh123

Hello, I would advise you to buy the complete companion (the dog one) and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/144412336X/ref=asc_df_144412336X4449322/?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=144412336X
^ That book has loads of info. My teacher told me to buy it :P
Reply 85
Original post by DeelyBopper
yeah its really good! promise! how many model answers are you intending to make per topic?

and of course! with the amount of redrafts I'm going to have to do on my model answers I'll be a pro at knowing whats good :rolleyes:

I don't know about you but I'm really trying to revise as i go, my teachers are setting us one timed essay per week minimum so its basically just straight revision up until the exam, at the same time as learning all the new stuff :frown: oh welllll :smile: x

We're going to get a timed essay every two weeks I think. We only started to look at one topic today..... there seems to be a LOT of information.. I don't know if i'll be able to remember it :eek:
Reply 86
Original post by EffKayy

I just meant then how will you be revising then - fair enough if you haven't started.

I dont have anyone to ask as im not a student at a college and just open to see how other people are doing it as im isolated in studying this..

Mine should arrive this week so hopefully that will help.

I am writing numerous model answers for my 3 topics for different possible questions that could come up.

Model answers I have written so far are:
-----------------

Sleep & Rhythms:

Describe and evaluate different perspectives of restoration theory
Describe each of the three types of rhythm and evaluate research evidence and commentary relating to them
Describe the different stages of sleep and the distinction between different types of sleep
Lifespan changes in sleep
----------------

Aggression:
How Genes/Genetic factors affect Aggression
Group displays of aggression
-----------------

Relationships:
Outline and evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour
-----------------------

Still writing the rest...should be done in a couple weeks I reckon - trying to do one a day as I go along.

Il post them up if you guys want once done? feedback could help me too.
Reply 87
Original post by EffKayy
We're going to get a timed essay every two weeks I think. We only started to look at one topic today..... there seems to be a LOT of information.. I don't know if i'll be able to remember it :eek:

Which is why im curious how people will be revising..if you havnt started it - I think its going to be quite overload...I started about a month ago and im still just beginning to get my head around it.

There is a lot to take onboard..a lot.

Its like your developing a new schema and way of thinking for a lot of this stuff so its tough to remember until you develop an understanding and acceptance of what its trying to tell you.

I myself can only do that through repetition oddly enough? Strange. I must be dumb
Original post by EffKayy

its poo isn't it :frown:
Yeah i know!!! I'm already swamped with work and we've only covered about one double page spread's worth of the textbook!

I just meant then how will you be revising then - fair enough if you haven't started.

I dont have anyone to ask as im not a student at a college and just open to see how other people are doing it as im isolated in studying this..

Mine should arrive this week so hopefully that will help.

I am writing numerous model answers for my 3 topics for different possible questions that could come up.

Model answers I have written so far are:
-----------------

Sleep & Rhythms:

Describe and evaluate different perspectives of restoration theory
Describe each of the three types of rhythm and evaluate research evidence and commentary relating to them
Describe the different stages of sleep and the distinction between different types of sleep
Lifespan changes in sleep
----------------

Aggression:
How Genes/Genetic factors affect Aggression
Group displays of aggression
-----------------

Relationships:
Outline and evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour
-----------------------

Still writing the rest...should be done in a couple weeks I reckon - trying to do one a day as I go along.

Il post them up if you guys want once done? feedback could help me too.

Yeah post them! :smile:

Could I ask you guys what textbooks you used for AS? more specifically PSYA1?
I really want an A in my resit, so i want all the best possible resources at my disposal!
thanks x
Which is why im curious how people will be revising..if you havnt started it - I think its going to be quite overload...I started about a month ago and im still just beginning to get my head around it.

Its like your developing a new schema and way of thinking for a lot of this stuff so its tough to remember until you develop an understanding and acceptance of what its trying to tell you.

I myself can only do that through repetition oddly enough? Strange. I must be dumb

realistically you will only get 30 minutes on each topic, and for AO1, the maximum you should be writing is about 200 words, so the basic knowledge is all you need to secure yourself the 8 marks, e.g. for SLT, just outline vicarious learning/reinforcement and the 4 conditions of effective social learning, the importance of self efficacy, mental representation, and direct reinforcement and you should fill the 200 words easily.

Then the AO2 should be about 500 words max, and you really just need to know general stuff about the studies, and how they provide strength/weakness etc. - just make sure to get your GRAVE points in - Generalisability, Reliability, Application, Validity, Ethics. Again this should easily fill 500 words.

So really there isn't all that much to revise, the AO2 points should come to you quite easily in the exam (as they're mostly common sense) and the AO1 is not as much as the textbook makes it out to be!

sorry that was really long and you probably know how to structure the essay anyway but i was just trying to highlight the amount of revision needed D:
Reply 90
its poo isn't it :frown:
Yeah i know!!! I'm already swamped with work and we've only covered about one double page spread's worth of the textbook!

Yeah post them! :smile:

Could I ask you guys what textbooks you used for AS? more specifically PSYA1?
I really want an A in my resit, so i want all the best possible resources at my disposal!
thanks x

You probably wont believe this but I only used one book for AS and it wasnt even a full text book!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340966726/ref=oss_product

Thats all I used for paper 1 and a lot of googling based on what it didnt have.

The specification from the AQA website is really good - whatever it says in there you basically memorise.

I would suggest you get another textbook but I found that book to really be useful...but it doesnt cover everything that can come up.

It had key studies but not other ones; last paper how age effects Eye witness testimony was asked but that book did not look at that at all - simply how EWT is affected and key studies into it loftus etc

So I would get another one to supplement that book which has more depth and covers everything else - but it is good for simple points and basic outlines of studies.

For paper 2 I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340966734/ref=oss_product

But again a helleva lot of googling and referring to the Spec and past papers...those are your best bets...also get another textbook with substance to supplement it as again it doesnt have everything in it...just pointers.
Reply 91
realistically you will only get 30 minutes on each topic, and for AO1, the maximum you should be writing is about 200 words, so the basic knowledge is all you need to secure yourself the 8 marks, e.g. for SLT, just outline vicarious learning/reinforcement and the 4 conditions of effective social learning, the importance of self efficacy, mental representation, and direct reinforcement and you should fill the 200 words easily.

Then the AO2 should be about 500 words max, and you really just need to know general stuff about the studies, and how they provide strength/weakness etc. - just make sure to get your GRAVE points in - Generalisability, Reliability, Application, Validity, Ethics. Again this should easily fill 500 words.

So really there isn't all that much to revise, the AO2 points should come to you quite easily in the exam (as they're mostly common sense) and the AO1 is not as much as the textbook makes it out to be!

sorry that was really long and you probably know how to structure the essay anyway but i was just trying to highlight the amount of revision needed D:

not at all - thats really helpful and im thinking of simplifying my essays in such a way as I think they are too long!.
Reply 92

I do not want to be revising anything I haven't learned in class
You probably wont believe this but I only used one book for AS and it wasnt even a full text book!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340966726/ref=oss_product

Thats all I used for paper 1 and a lot of googling based on what it didnt have.

The specification from the AQA website is really good - whatever it says in there you basically memorise.

I would suggest you get another textbook but I found that book to really be useful...but it doesnt cover everything that can come up.

It had key studies but not other ones; last paper how age effects Eye witness testimony was asked but that book did not look at that at all - simply how EWT is affected and key studies into it loftus etc

So I would get another one to supplement that book which has more depth and covers everything else - but it is good for simple points and basic outlines of studies.

For paper 2 I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340966734/ref=oss_product

But again a helleva lot of googling and referring to the Spec and past papers...those are your best bets...also get another textbook with substance to supplement it as again it doesnt have everything in it...just pointers.

Thankyou so much :smile:
I was thinking of getting the Unit 1 one and now I think I will :smile:
I was also going to get the AS version of the book we all ordered as it looks as good but I'm not sure that 20 quid is worth it for just one unit! :smile:

Mephestic
not at all - thats really helpful and im thinking of simplifying my essays in such a way as I think they are too long!.

No problem :smile: Glad you find it useful :smile:
Reply 94
Thankyou so much :smile:
I was thinking of getting the Unit 1 one and now I think I will :smile:
I was also going to get the AS version of the book we all ordered as it looks as good but I'm not sure that 20 quid is worth it for just one unit! :smile:

No problem :smile: Glad you find it useful :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-AS-AQA-Mike-Cardwell/dp/0007255039/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316547602&sr=1-1
Please buy this. I didn't have this for Unit 1, but got it for Unit 2 and it was amazing (I got a High A for that exam). It's effective, and clearly explains everything!
Reply 95
Hey guys I did psychology at A-level and was a mark off an A* :frown:. Most if not all my essays were A-grade so quote me or pm if you want any tips or are stuck as I'd be more than happy to help :biggrin:
Reply 96
All the essays I seem to be doing are soooo long! I need to cut them down ... I tend to waffle too much! x
Original post by julifak
Hey guys I did psychology at A-level and was a mark off an A* :frown:. Most if not all my essays were A-grade so quote me or pm if you want any tips or are stuck as I'd be more than happy to help :biggrin:

Hey :smile: what kind of marks were you getting for your essays? was it 20+ ish?
What topics did you do? :smile:

Original post by Jem_x
All the essays I seem to be doing are soooo long! I need to cut them down ... I tend to waffle too much! x

Read my above post to mephestic if you want a good idea of length etc of essays :smile: x
Reply 98
Original post by julifak

Def interested - if you have any typed up and could upload them here we would be really grateful!
Reply 99
Myself, Mephestic and EffKayy have all bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-A2-AQA-Jean-Marc-Lawton/dp/144412336X/ref=pd_sim_b20

Mine arrived yesterday and its really good!! lots and lots of studies and evaluative points and extra reading stuff :smile:

Original post by EffKayy
Hello, I would advise you to buy the complete companion (the dog one) and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/144412336X/ref=asc_df_144412336X4449322/?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=144412336X
^ That book has loads of info. My teacher told me to buy it :P

Thanks so much guys, I'm also going to buy this book. So all in all youd say it's better than the book with the eye on the front? Not sure if any of you have come across that one!?

Latest