The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Hello and welcome to the Ask a Glasgow Student thread. :biggrin:

Many thanks to @University of Glasgow for starting this thread originally. :smile:

I'm gawndaft98, feel free to ask me anything about the university or applying there. :woo:

If you have any questions about Medicine applications, feel free to chat to recent medicine offer holder @Aislynnnn too. :yep:

Tag one of us in this thread and we'll be sure to get back to you with an answer to your question(s). :banana:

For a big list of "Ask a Student" threads, click here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone,

Have you got a question about the University of Glasgow?

If so, post your question in this thread and our official representative will be online next week to clarify and queries you may have. We're particularly interested in answering any issues postgraduate courses, should you have then :smile:

So get asking and we'll be back soon to answer everyone's posts :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Any recommendations for which halls to stay in? What are halls actually like?
Hi,
I'll hopefully be studying at Glasgow next year and I'm eligible for the welcome bursary. I was just wondering, when during our first year will we receive this bursary? Will it be soon after we start (so September 2012) or later in the academic year?
Also, will we have to apply for this or will we just get it automatically?
Thanks
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
What is the average timetable for first year medicine - starting times and going home times.

Is it possible to park within walking distance of the medical buildings?

What is Glasgows views on students with dependants? Are they understanding when a student has to take time off to look after an ill child.

Is it possible to visit the campus and speak to a guidance person about the course you are interested in?

Thanks.
Hi there.

At the open day I had a nice chat with the head of admissions. He told me if you meet the entry requirements in S5 you'll receive an immediate unconditional offer. How long does "immediate" really mean?

Thanks.
Reply 6
Hi,

I got a conditional offer from Glasgow and I need to take IELTS. However, I wondered whether it is possible to take CAE instead, which is said to be accepted on the website (my intention was to take CAE which was (supposed to be) easier through school). Should/could I ask to change the offer? Or would it be wise to register for IELTS instead?
Reply 7
I am thinking of applying for Geography with Economics.The problem here is that altought i sattisfy your requirements as i have an AAAAA on my As and i am on my way to get my A*AAAA i was wondering if my (only)resit in c3 unit of maths is acceptable
1) Which accommodation is set out as a shared flat, and which are in halls with single rooms?

2) What compulsory activities take place in freshers week? I'm on holiday until the 12th of September - will I miss anything important that I wouldn't be able to do before the course starts?
Reply 9
Hi. I got an unconditional offer for MSc International Strategic Marketing. However, before I accept, I would like to know the tuition fees for postgraduates in 2012/13. Are there any news?

Also, I would like to apply for the Stevenson Scholarship, but haven't been able to get any info about where I need to send the relevant documents to.

Thanks!

Lori
Original post by Pen Island

Original post by Pen Island
Hi,
I'll hopefully be studying at Glasgow next year and I'm eligible for the welcome bursary. I was just wondering, when during our first year will we receive this bursary? Will it be soon after we start (so September 2012) or later in the academic year?
Also, will we have to apply for this or will we just get it automatically?
Thanks
:smile:

Hi,

Are you applying for the Wellcome Trust 4-year PhD programme? If so, you should visit the following web page for further information on how to apply: http://www.gla.ac.uk/colleges/mvls/graduateschool/informationforprospectivestudents/phdandmresscholarships/phdprogrammes/

The deadline for applications is 6th January 2012.

Kind regards,
Anne

Graduate School
Original post by accordions

Original post by accordions
Any recommendations for which halls to stay in? What are halls actually like?

Hi Lori,

I am Louisa and i work with students thinking of joining the university of Glasgow.
We have a range of halls you might like to consider with a range of costs to match. When you apply we match you with flatmates that have similar interests and so i am sure you will enjoy any that you choose. the best idea is to visit them yourself during one of our open days before making your decision. more details on these can be found at http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/visit/opendays/

i hope that helps.

Louisa
Original post by Lori1987

Hi. I got an unconditional offer for MSc International Strategic Marketing. However, before I accept, I would like to know the tuition fees for postgraduates in 2012/13. Are there any news?

Also, I would like to apply for the Stevenson Scholarship, but haven't been able to get any info about where I need to send the relevant documents to.

Thanks!

Lori

Hi Lori,

I am sorry to say the fees for 2012 entry are still to be released, but they are likely to be similar to this year's cost of £7,000.
We have not opened applications to our scholarships yet, which is why the details online are limited. we are hoping to start the process again next month, so please keep checking.

thanks

Louisa
Original post by Xeturus
I am thinking of applying for Geography with Economics.The problem here is that altought i sattisfy your requirements as i have an AAAAA on my As and i am on my way to get my A*AAAA i was wondering if my (only)resit in c3 unit of maths is acceptable

Hi the entry requirements for Geography/Economics are

Highers: AAAA in first sitting = unconditional offer.

Applicants who achieved AABB or AAAB at their first sitting may receive a conditional or unconditional offer once all applications have been reviewed in March 2012.

A-levels: ABB.

As long as you meet AAAA in Highers from S5 or ABB at A level you will be fine.
Original post by Eileen_

Original post by Eileen_
Hi,

I got a conditional offer from Glasgow and I need to take IELTS. However, I wondered whether it is possible to take CAE instead, which is said to be accepted on the website (my intention was to take CAE which was (supposed to be) easier through school). Should/could I ask to change the offer? Or would it be wise to register for IELTS instead?

Hi Eileen,

You are welcome to take CAE as an alternative to IELTS. there is no need to ask for an alternative offer. Once you have your grade in CAE send it to us as an alternative to IELTS and we will process your offer.
I hope that helps.

Louisa

Thanks!

Lori

Hi Lori

Adriana here from the College of Social Sciences at the University of Glasgow.

The fees for 2012 have not been released yet, although this is likely to happen within the first weeks in December.

I am not familiar with the Stevenson Scholarship, is this one being offered by the University or the Business School?

Adriana
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Hi there.

At the open day I had a nice chat with the head of admissions. He told me if you meet the entry requirements in S5 you'll receive an immediate unconditional offer. How long does "immediate" really mean?

Thanks.

Hi. This really depends on the degree you have applied for and at what date you submit your application. Some applicants will receive an unconditional offer within a few days of applying, but as we begin to receive the bulk of applications through December and the first two weeks in January it takes a little longer for offers to be processed.

Mark
Original post by FluffyTutu

Original post by FluffyTutu
What is the average timetable for first year medicine - starting times and going home times.

Is it possible to park within walking distance of the medical buildings?

What is Glasgows views on students with dependants? Are they understanding when a student has to take time off to look after an ill child.

Is it possible to visit the campus and speak to a guidance person about the course you are interested in?

Thanks.

Hi,

We have a dedicated Admissions Administrator who will be able to give you further advice on your questions, and you can email them by contacting [email protected]

They will be able to tell you about upcoming Open Days, the timetable for courses, and leave requests for personal matters.

With regards to parking, there are free parking spaces directly beside the Wolfson Medical School Building, but they tend to be very busy and you may find you have to arrive early in the day to secure a parking space. Parking spaces are also available in Lilybank Gardens for around £2.40 per day.

I hope you find that helpful.

Kind regards,
Anne

College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences
Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hi,

Are you applying for the Wellcome Trust 4-year PhD programme? If so, you should visit the following web page for further information on how to apply: http://www.gla.ac.uk/colleges/mvls/graduateschool/informationforprospectivestudents/phdandmresscholarships/phdprogrammes/

The deadline for applications is 6th January 2012.

Kind regards,
Anne

Graduate School

Hi there,

Just to add to this. You may be referring to the UNDERGRADUATE WELCOME BURSARY. This is a new bursary just announced by the University of Glasgow.

It is likely that fee discounts will happen automatically through the University's online registration system and that students will be asked to decide whether they want the tuition fee discount or the cash bursary when they register online.

The online registration process can be started at anytime from summer 2012 if/when they have the exam results needed to meet their offer terms. There won't be an application form. The decision about when the cash bursary will be paid hasn't been made yet.

More information will be sent to applicants about the Welcome Bursary and other scholarships.

Hope this helps.

Kate, Recruitment & International Office
Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hi Lori,

I am sorry to say the fees for 2012 entry are still to be released, but they are likely to be similar to this year's cost of £7,000.
We have not opened applications to our scholarships yet, which is why the details online are limited. we are hoping to start the process again next month, so please keep checking.

thanks

Louisa

Hi Lori,

Just to folllow up on what Louisa was saying: The fees for 2012/13 are likely to be as follows:

£4750 = Home/EU Student
£12,250 = International Student

I am assuming you are referring to the MSc in International Strategic Marketing?

However, the above fees are still to be confirmed.
I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Kate @Recruitment & International Office

Quick Reply

Latest