The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Original post by Worriedstudent1893
I heard Edinburgh's last interview/applicant dates are either on the 16th or 23rd of March. I really doubt I have a chance now :frown:

I only had a weeks notice as well, be patient. I haven't got much patience myself but we might as well be theres nothing else we can do (:

good luck
Original post by joverbena
Thankyou for kind comments :smile:
Got a Chelsea interview on Monday so be up horribly early (got to be tehre at 9.30am).

Has everybody started to apply for student finance? I just have but I notice at the moment it only says 3564 (or around that) is going to my tuition fee loan and I have to pay the rest (£5000+) directly to the college!! I do hope that's because they haven't updated to cover the full £9000 fees yet as I don't have the money..

hey i got interview monday too :smile: for textiles yah?
and dw about student finance
it corrects itself to 9000 a while after u submit it :smile: xx
see you monday? :smile:
Original post by rayray12310
I thought that too when I was looking at my finance then realised I'd clicked 2011 rather than 2012

Have a screenshot i made with my estimated loan and says 2012/13.. but hopefully will update to £9000! :-/ can't even log in now seems student loan website is down for me today!

No got an interview for fine art, probably a busy day if textiles interviews taking place too , if you've looked at my portfolio you might recognize me and give me a wave :smile: best of luck for your textiles interview
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
That's probably true, having so many galleries on your doorstep is such a bonus. I was looking at the nearest halls to Wimbledon and they're like 6k :eek: Suddenly feel very, very naive and northern :colondollar: Halls are about £4000 here!

when you study in london you're maintenance grant is more, which helps if only a little bit.
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
That's probably true, having so many galleries on your doorstep is such a bonus. I was looking at the nearest halls to Wimbledon and they're like 6k :eek: Suddenly feel very, very naive and northern :colondollar: Halls are about £4000 here!

Yeah it's a real change, I lived in Harlow in Essex before I moved to London which is a relatively cheap i would even say poor place.. (very single mumish and a lot of unemployment!) the adjustment in London feels massive at first but it's totally worth it in the end :smile:

And I can geti n the student loan website now, it's because i was using Opera browser which it doesn't like...
Original post by arty
I feel they may just not have bothered to send out some of the rejections yet! I'm very doubtful I will get an interview now, offers/interviews always come out sooner and the rejections take longer.

I was rejected for painting at ECA about a week ago.. they are obviously considering you still. I wouldn't give up hope, perhaps your on a maybe pile or something?
Yeah it's a real change, I lived in Harlow in Essex before I moved to London which is a relatively cheap i would even say poor place.. (very single mumish and a lot of unemployment!) the adjustment in London feels massive at first but it's totally worth it in the end :smile:

And I can geti n the student loan website now, it's because i was using Opera browser which it doesn't like...

That's reassuring then, it's all got a bit real atm.
Haven't even started my student finance - oops. :rolleyes:
Reply 1347
anyone know what the kingston interview is like?
i'm so sick of being patient now, had my Chelsea interview which seemed to go alright but because I was bottom of the register and everybody interviewed in alphabetical order.. I didn't get mine until 12.20pm despite the time of arrival 9.30am. Hope all the waiting does pay off a little bit, getting uncomfortable not hearing from Wimbledon and just generally drained.. some good news and some energy please!!
Original post by Soares
anyone know what the kingston interview is like?

Quite relaxed, really, but I was at the end of the day so only 5 people, three of us were on the foundation, haha. We went in one at a time, I was interviewed by three women. They were really easy on us; didn't ask that many questions. They want to know if Kingston is your first choice - always say yes even if it's no, lol. And they'll ask why this course, etc, what do you like about Kingston. They didn't look through my sketchbooks much and kept saying my work was "lovely" which wasn't much help. You'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 1350
i'm so sick of being patient now, had my Chelsea interview which seemed to go alright but because I was bottom of the register and everybody interviewed in alphabetical order.. I didn't get mine until 12.20pm despite the time of arrival 9.30am. Hope all the waiting does pay off a little bit, getting uncomfortable not hearing from Wimbledon and just generally drained.. some good news and some energy please!!

Sorry, no energy here - just wanted to share in your general drain-ed-ness! I feel exhausted all the time, Im so glad that tomorrow is my last interview - no news yet from either my camberwell or CSM interviews; most of the time I just want to curl into a little ball and sleep :snoozing:

Fingers crossed for some good news all round and an end to this hideous process! :crossedf: :smile:
Has anyone been asked during an interview what other places you've applied to? What was your response?

I've been asked this question at every single one so far and I find it rather off-putting as if i'm being judged or worse, as if my answer is going to be the deciding factor in whether I get a place or not. Clearly that's not the case as I got offers despite saying where else I've applied for, just seems like an unfair question to ask.

Has anyone been asked really awkward/ difficult questions?
Reply 1352
Original post by kindkydinky
Has anyone been asked during an interview what other places you've applied to? What was your response?

I've been asked this question at every single one so far and I find it rather off-putting as if i'm being judged or worse, as if my answer is going to be the deciding factor in whether I get a place or not. Clearly that's not the case as I got offers despite saying where else I've applied for, just seems like an unfair question to ask.

They asked at CSSD (and I think Wimbledon as well) if I had applied elsewhere.
I dont think theyre really allowed to ask about your other choices, so I just answered politly yes, but didnt elaborate.

I havent had any awkward questions other than what i felt my nationality brought to my art... Im from Denmark -its just down the road to be honest -Im about 98% the same as any other Brit, its not like Im some mystical viking. That was a pretty lame question.

One of my coursemates though, he was asked why he was a misogynist. Not if but why! (And even to begin with, thats a pretty out of order question). He's like a totally nice guy! Goes without saying he was really unimpressed with the interview. He rejected their offer (clearly, they didnt have a problem teaching a so-called misogynist)
(edited 12 years ago)

Try saying you haven't applied anywhere else?
Original post by Philemon
They asked at CSSD (and I think Wimbledon as well) if I had applied elsewhere.
I dont think theyre really allowed to ask about your other choices, so I just answered politly yes, but didnt elaborate.

I havent had any awkward questions other than what i felt my nationality brought to my art... Im from Denmark -its just down the road to be honest -Im about 98% the same as any other Brit, its not like Im some mystical viking. That was a pretty lame question.

One of my coursemates though, he was asked why he was a misogynist. Not if but why! (And even to begin with, thats a pretty out of order question). He's like a totally nice guy! Goes without saying he was really unimpressed with the interview. He rejected their offer (clearly, they didnt have a problem teaching a so-called misogynist)

I so sympathize, I hugely dislike it when people just ask where i'm from in Essex..always as the first question, as if it's a basis to judge on my whole personality! Because you have to answer the question but as a person who feels like i don't have a strong specific regional background, in fact dedicating a lot of my life to getting away from my hometown ties, it irks me too! At my Brighton interview he even said 'Harlow a bit different to London' -pomp laugh- eeeeeek!

Reassuring to know I'm not the only drained, ill thing on here.. don't normally whinge this much but you know I have a new found whole deeper respect for people who pursue art as a career in our generation, it's hard!
(edited 12 years ago)

Only Brighton asked me that, so i was honest but made the case that it was fair enough as i knew how competitive their course was so i had to have back-ups.... i don't think there's anything wrong with telling them, shows you're going to try and make it in your chosen career wherever you go and are realistic that you might not get in.
Reply 1356

I was asked for one of my foundation interviews where else I had applied, and when I told the guy he told me to go to the other place because it was much better...
He also asked me what kind of biscuit I saw myself as and why (I totally messed up and said Jaffa Cake, which technically isn't even a biscuit).
I've emailed wimbledon to try and see if they can let me know if i've got an offer before tomorrow, because I've become a bit sick and might have to cancel my Goldsmiths interview tomorrow- think it might finish me off and kill me!!! :eek:
Has anyone still not heard back from Brighton BA Painting since submitting their flickr? Have they started rejections yet does anyone know? Getting very worried and tired of waiting!! :-/
Original post by cocacola123
Has anyone still not heard back from Brighton BA Painting since submitting their flickr? Have they started rejections yet does anyone know? Getting very worried and tired of waiting!! :-/

You should send them a polite email by now, horrible to wait that long if only to be rejected, so should think you are being considered..?

Quick Reply

Latest