The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jpaisey
Ive applied to do maths/econ equal at york however the offer they gave me was straight maths any idea why they did that as i would of thought more people would want to do maths rather than the combined course.

Well maybe the joint course was oversubscribed, or maybe they just thought that your application was more suited to their maths course.

The only way to get any idea of why they changed your course would be to ring up and see if you can get any feedback on their decision.
University of York
York
Original post by AverageExcellence
Thats unfortunate, i just emailed them to ask if there was a visit day. Its a bit frustrating giving offers out after the visit day, ud think theyd have gave out all the offers so everyone has a chance to go to the visit day.

I tried emailing them on Wednesday but they seem to be very slow at replying to them, phoning up is much quicker.

Yes it is annoying, I would have really liked to go to a subject specific one. However I've done enough research that I know the course is right for me, a visit day for me is going to more about the feel of the place, the accommodation etc. so it's not too much of a blow.

I remember you saying though that you were less up to speed on the course? In which yes it must be frustrating.
Original post by Historophilia
I tried emailing them on Wednesday but they seem to be very slow at replying to them, phoning up is much quicker.

Yes it is annoying, I would have really liked to go to a subject specific one. However I've done enough research that I know the course is right for me, a visit day for me is going to more about the feel of the place, the accommodation etc. so it's not too much of a blow.

I remember you saying though that you were less up to speed on the course? In which yes it must be frustrating.

Yeah, ive got a copy of the prospectus and it gives you a rough breakdown of whats available. But its obviously going to be slightly exaggerated and bias for persuasive effect. I suppose ill just have to make my decision based on the open day, although i must say the extras and perks they give are very good. Like free l19 week language course and studying abroad on the euramas course etc.
Yeah, ive got a copy of the prospectus and it gives you a rough breakdown of whats available. But its obviously going to be slightly exaggerated and bias for persuasive effect. I suppose ill just have to make my decision based on the open day, although i must say the extras and perks they give are very good. Like free l19 week language course and studying abroad on the euramas course etc.

I've only looked at the course for straight History but the website was really useful for this. Gave a clear breakdown of how many modules you have a year and what options you have in which terms etc. and listed loads of the choices you had and did a synopsis of what it was like. And what impressed me most is that they also told you how much contact time you'd get from each module. On average it seems that each module has two lectures and one seminar a week. And since you tend to have two modules running at a time you'd have on average 4 lectures and two seminars every week.

I've looked and they do a similar breakdown for the joint course: http://www.york.ac.uk/history/undergraduate/courses/ba-history-politics/

Hmmm, though having looked at they don't make it hugely clear what the Politics options are! You might want to look at the Politics section of the website and see what they offer.

Ah, here you go: http://www.york.ac.uk/politics/prospective/undergraduates/ug-courses/ba-history-politics/ This is much more informative.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Historophilia
I've only looked at the course for straight History but the website was really useful for this. Gave a clear breakdown of how many modules you have a year and what options you have in which terms etc. and listed loads of the choices you had and did a synopsis of what it was like. And what impressed me most is that they also told you how much contact time you'd get from each module. On average it seems that each module has two lectures and one seminar a week. And since you tend to have two modules running at a time you'd have on average 4 lectures and two seminars every week.

I've looked and they do a similar breakdown for the joint course: http://www.york.ac.uk/history/undergraduate/courses/ba-history-politics/

Hmmm, though having looked at they don't make it hugely clear what the Politics options are! You might want to look at the Politics section of the website and see what they offer.

Ah, here you go: http://www.york.ac.uk/politics/prospective/undergraduates/ug-courses/ba-history-politics/ This is much more informative.

Cheers for the advice! im warming more to the prospect of going to york now :smile: have you firmed york?
Cheers for the advice! im warming more to the prospect of going to york now :smile: have you firmed york?

No problem :smile: not yet I think i'll go to the visit day first. I might as well leave it till I've visited and know for certain that I like it since the timing makes no difference to accommodation. (I've got an Unconditional so I get first pick at the start of August rather than after results day)
GCSE's - A*A*AAAAAAAAAABBC
AS's - AABBB (Photography, Extended Project, Film Studies, English Language, French)
A2 Predictions - A*A*AB (Photography, English Language, Film Studies, French)
Course - Film Production single BA. Conditional
Why? Definitely the most approachable uni I applied to and the facilities are incredible! Just maybe that it mightn't have the best industry links because it's a new course. Now a Russell Group!
Original post by adeep
That's strange. I sent my application to UCAS at 20th December 2011 for Social Policy degree. Tbh, I was conditionally offered first by York at 16th Jan 2012. I'm applying through my HND Business(Management) with DMM result because I had two weak grades at A Level (geography, business studies) at D,E (seriously). Plus, I'm mature and had more than 5 years working experience.

My offers:
York - Conditional BBB (16th Jan 2012). Recently, I got a 6.5 band IELTS to satisfied their requirement = Firm/Insurance
Leeds - Rejection ABB (20th Jan 2012) = I failed my GCE Maths :colone:
Swansea - Unconditional BBB (26th Jan 2012) = Decline
Kent - Unconditional ABB (3rd Feb 2012) = Firm/Insurance
Birmingham ABB - (Pending up till now) = No idea

Actually, I'm in dilemma right now :confused:. To firm either York (1994 group) or Kent. Perhaps, both are very competitive, reputable and excellent research in Social Policy (RAE 2008 assessment) and high satisfaction in National Student Survey. Course-wise I slightly prefer York's course modules over Kent. But, Kent's location is much desirable and closer to London. I don't know :confused: if Birmingham (russell group) is better than those two in terms of course-oriented and dedicated lecturers especially in Social Policy subject.

It's better to hear from anyone who had experience about this.

York is now Russell Group too :wink:
Reply 1288
Is PPE at York 2nd to only Oxford? Ive heard the PEP department is awesome there? Any1 know?
Reply 1289
Original post by charlotte.yellow
York is now Russell Group too :wink:

Yes I'm very glad with the news :colondollar:
Reply 1290
My BA(hons) Social Policy's offer now is Unconditional status. Yahoo!!! :biggrin:
Original post by ibs007
Is PPE at York 2nd to only Oxford? Ive heard the PEP department is awesome there? Any1 know?

Well it's certainly the oldest PPE course after Oxford. And it has its own department and dedicated academics so the three subjects are very well integrated, at other Universities which offer PPE the subjects are all very separate and don't work so well together which does seem to impact on the quality of the course.

However I've been told that unlike Oxford you can't drop one of the three subjects after first year, which might be a downside for you or not.
Reply 1292
Here we go:
GCSE: A*A*A*A*AAAAAAABC
AS: AAAB (English, Geography, Economics, History)
A2 predictions: A*AA (English, Geography, History)
Course: English Literature single honours (Q300)
Why: Top 5 for English, pretty city, prestige of university for English, interesting course...
Choices: Oxford (rejected, hardly surprising, my ELAT was an absolute mess...) :frown:
Warwick (rejected without interview, how nice of them)
Durham (rejected... anyone see a trend?)
Exeter (conditional, A*AA)
York (conditional, AAA)

No idea which to pick now :confused:
Reply 1293
Original post by em807
Here we go:
GCSE: A*A*A*A*AAAAAAABC
AS: AAAB (English, Geography, Economics, History)
A2 predictions: A*AA (English, Geography, History)
Course: English Literature single honours (Q300)
Why: Top 5 for English, pretty city, prestige of university for English, interesting course...
Choices: Oxford (rejected, hardly surprising, my ELAT was an absolute mess...) :frown:
Warwick (rejected without interview, how nice of them)
Durham (rejected... anyone see a trend?)
Exeter (conditional, A*AA)
York (conditional, AAA)

No idea which to pick now :confused:

Exeter asking for A*AA...LOL! thats a joke. York is much better than Exeter..!
Reply 1294
Original post by ibs007
Exeter asking for A*AA...LOL! thats a joke. York is much better than Exeter..!

Tell me about it. They want the same as Durham and Cambridge. Totally was wishing they offered me AAB but looks like they're being a bit snobby...
A*AA, hmm, because they're the 'best English department in the UK for research' apparently.

Go for York (obv(obv bias :P))
Original post by Bha-weeshes
GCSE's - A*A*AAAAAAAAAABBC
AS's - AABBB (Photography, Extended Project, Film Studies, English Language, French)
A2 Predictions - A*A*AB (Photography, English Language, Film Studies, French)
Course - Film Production single BA. Conditional
Why? Definitely the most approachable uni I applied to and the facilities are incredible! Just maybe that it mightn't have the best industry links because it's a new course. Now a Russell Group!

Hi, I'll be heading to York to do F&TV in Sept/Oct! The degree is a BSc though.. gives you the opportunity to take a much more technical approach if you'd like to as well :smile: what is your offer? Hopefully see you there.
Offer from York for law! Incredibly pleased with that. Conditions still to come through on UCAS etc.

My offer letter also says that based on my interview performance, I was one of the best candidates to be offered a place. Wow.

I think I know where I'm gonna be in October now.
Just got an offer for PPE! :smile:
Reply 1299
Has anyone firmed for Sociology? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest