The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AYO
quick question, where do y'all buy your castor oil from?? there's this amazing hair products shop in kilburn that i go to for ALL my hair products. they sell literally everything from ORS to aPhogee to keracare but they never seem to have castor oil!! its getting a bit frustrating, it sells out so quick! but i dont know of any other places that sell it! help!!

if anyone knows anywhere else please, even if its an online website.
thanks

I once bought some from eBay, so look there and I'm sure they'll still be selling some :smile:
Original post by AYO
quick question, where do y'all buy your castor oil from?? there's this amazing hair products shop in kilburn that i go to for ALL my hair products. they sell literally everything from ORS to aPhogee to keracare but they never seem to have castor oil!! its getting a bit frustrating, it sells out so quick! but i dont know of any other places that sell it! help!!

if anyone knows anywhere else please, even if its an online website.
thanks

What's it called please?
I get my castor oil from any blak hair shop I can find, I live in greater manchester and they all seem to have the dark afrotic bottle most times. The shops in my town don't always have what I want but the shops in the city are great. I don't know if I would bother to order it online if it were me because the p+p is probably more than the actual product. The bottle is never more than £2 wherever I go.

Alternatively you could try a health food shop but expect a higher price, over £5.
Reply 1763
Original post by La Trampa
What's it called please?

what's what called? :s if you mean the hair supply store, its global hair and beauty
Reply 1764
thanks for all the responses. i think i'll wait a bit until my coconut oil finished before i buy the castor oil.

does anyone encounter problems with silk/satin scarves? im quite restless when i sleep and i ALWAYS wake up with mine under my bed or under my pillow!it never stays on my head! i wonder if there's another alternative? (im currently looking into satin/silk pillows) but i still want my hair covered when i sleep!

also, its nearing the time when i have to relax my hair again, im about 16 weeks post relaxer and have a fair amount of new growth. after reading dozens of blogs and youtube vids im dreading relaxing my hair! lol i've heard a couple people talking about diluting relaxers with oils? i dunno? does anyone else do this?? is it advisable?

btw i've thought a lot about going natural and that but im definitely not ready right now, maybe in another year or two i'll revisit the idea.

lol sorry for all the questions but i just discovered this thread and i have loadss to ask!
Original post by RexyB
THIS ^ so badly. Hair shops lie! It's not satin.

Good to know I'm not the only one trying to find out.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to nightime hair care (apart from silk scarves?) e.g. protective styling?
Original post by AYO
thanks for all the responses. i think i'll wait a bit until my coconut oil finished before i buy the castor oil.

does anyone encounter problems with silk/satin scarves? im quite restless when i sleep and i ALWAYS wake up with mine under my bed or under my pillow!it never stays on my head! i wonder if there's another alternative? (im currently looking into satin/silk pillows) but i still want my hair covered when i sleep!

also, its nearing the time when i have to relax my hair again, im about 16 weeks post relaxer and have a fair amount of new growth. after reading dozens of blogs and youtube vids im dreading relaxing my hair! lol i've heard a couple people talking about diluting relaxers with oils? i dunno? does anyone else do this?? is it advisable?

btw i've thought a lot about going natural and that but im definitely not ready right now, maybe in another year or two i'll revisit the idea.

lol sorry for all the questions but i just discovered this thread and i have loadss to ask!

Where did you buy your silk scarves?
Original post by AYO

You should tie the scarf around the head twice and put a hairnet on top to keep it in place. Dunno about diluting relaxer with oil.
Reply 1768
Quickie intro: Hi guys! I'm new - to both the forum (relatively) and to this thread (definitely!)

Now to business:

I get my castor oil from Amazon personally, it's great!

errr.... you can't dilute a relaxer- or at least, I've never heard of that before, and I really REALLY don't recommend fooling around with those chemicals. Just to clarify: do you feel that you'd have to cut off all your hair to go natural? Or are you familiar with the process of transitioning etc. and just don't want to deal with it? I wasn't sure from your post, but there's not too much you can do if you don't want to relax or go natural other than letting your hair stay in that semi curly semi straight phase. You can actually do that- even if you have no real plans to cut the straight ends off. I won't be cutting off mine for another year and half, and I'm about 7 months in already. It takes more work to maintain this state though, if only because detangling is an absolute PAIN. I'm actually transitioning right now, so I do have an end goal in sight. I'm not against any form of hair styling though (my mum is relaxed still, and I was until last October!) So you can totally PM me if you want to talk and be assured that I won't judge. :smile:
Reply 1769
Original post by Dee Leigh

Does anyone know of any alternatives to nightime hair care (apart from silk scarves?) e.g. protective styling?

It's mostly moisturise, seal and no tight styles.

By the way Primark are selling satin scarves! Catch them while you can!
Reply 1770
Original post by AYO

also, its nearing the time when i have to relax my hair again, im about 16 weeks post relaxer and
The have a fair amount of new growth. after reading dozens of blogs and youtube vids im dreading relaxing my hair! lol i've heard a couple people talking about diluting relaxers with oils? i dunno? does anyone else do this?? is it advisable?

The process of diluting relaxers is called texlaxing. Texlaxing leaves with curl, the degree of curl depending on how much the relaxer is diluted. It's completely safe (as safe as a relaxer can be, anyway) but highly unpredictable. Plus if most of your hair is straight it will leave you with at least 2 textures at all times, 3 if you add new growth. You also can't wear your hair straight without heat or a rollerwrap.

There are benefits. More volume, for fine hair. The less your hair is broken down by relaxer the stronger it will be. But be careful as there will be a tangle-prone demarcation line.
Original post by RexyB
It's mostly moisturise, seal and no tight styles.

By the way Primark are selling satin scarves! Catch them while you can!

Okay :smile:
silk pillowcase (pricey)
Reply 1773
Where did you buy your silk scarves?

primark has some nice ones going for 3 quid atm, and loads of random market stalls sell them
Reply 1774
Original post by chronic_fatigue
You should tie the scarf around the head twice and put a hairnet on top to keep it in place. Dunno about diluting relaxer with oil.

yeah i've tried that. its no good. thanks though
Reply 1775
Original post by Tel8
Quickie intro: Hi guys! I'm new - to both the forum (relatively) and to this thread (definitely!)

Now to business:

I get my castor oil from Amazon personally, it's great!

errr.... you can't dilute a relaxer- or at least, I've never heard of that before, and I really REALLY don't recommend fooling around with those chemicals. Just to clarify: do you feel that you'd have to cut off all your hair to go natural? Or are you familiar with the process of transitioning etc. and just don't want to deal with it? I wasn't sure from your post, but there's not too much you can do if you don't want to relax or go natural other than letting your hair stay in that semi curly semi straight phase. You can actually do that- even if you have no real plans to cut the straight ends off. I won't be cutting off mine for another year and half, and I'm about 7 months in already. It takes more work to maintain this state though, if only because detangling is an absolute PAIN. I'm actually transitioning right now, so I do have an end goal in sight. I'm not against any form of hair styling though (my mum is relaxed still, and I was until last October!) So you can totally PM me if you want to talk and be assured that I won't judge. :smile:

im assuming this response is to my question? im not sure as you havent quoted me. but if its not, just ignore this.
No i do not think i have to cut off all my hair to go natural and yes, i am familiar with transitioning. as i said in my post i personally am not ready to go through such a process. i wasnt looking for alternatives to relaxing or going natural as i am aware there are none, thanks for the response.
Reply 1776
Original post by RexyB
The process of diluting relaxers is called texlaxing. Texlaxing leaves with curl, the degree of curl depending on how much the relaxer is diluted. It's completely safe (as safe as a relaxer can be, anyway) but highly unpredictable. Plus if most of your hair is straight it will leave you with at least 2 textures at all times, 3 if you add new growth. You also can't wear your hair straight without heat or a rollerwrap.

There are benefits. More volume, for fine hair. The less your hair is broken down by relaxer the stronger it will be. But be careful as there will be a tangle-prone demarcation line.

this is actually very helpful! thank youuu!! i will speak to my hairdresser about this and see what happens.

thanks a bunch thoughh :biggrin:
Reply 1777
Original post by AYO
im assuming this response is to my question? im not sure as you havent quoted me. but if its not, just ignore this.
No i do not think i have to cut off all my hair to go natural and yes, i am familiar with transitioning. as i said in my post i personally am not ready to go through such a process. i wasnt looking for alternatives to relaxing or going natural as i am aware there are none, thanks for the response.

It was in response to your post. I had assumed you were looking for a solution to both going natural and relaxing- I apologize if I misunderstood you.

Lots of moisture and keeping your ends up. Keeping it detangled but not over-combing. Are you natural?

These may help you, maybe you've made some of the same mistakes that I have. Learn from mine!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1779
Original post by AYO
this is actually very helpful! thank youuu!! i will speak to my hairdresser about this and see what happens.

thanks a bunch thoughh :biggrin:

Awww... You're welcome. Here's an idea with the whole scarf staying on problem. What I do is wrap my pillow in a satin scarf. Ta da! Cheap satin pillowcase. I'm embarrassed even writing this :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending