The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Customers who wait before you scan all their items, before starting to pack, which causes an awkward delay.:mad2:
Customers who are in the queue and don't give the customer you're currently serving any personal space, I just find it rude, arm's length away whilst I'm serving someone and they're paying, there's plenty of space for everyone.
Original post by FlickeringEmber
Because a lot of these people are total morons...I'm 27 and shouldn't be humiliated in front of other customers, nor should I be forced to carry my passport around all the time just in case some idiot exercises total lack of judgement! By the way, I work in a job where I need to ask for ID but I actually have common sense and have never annoyed anyone obviously well over-age with such absurdities.

My store and a lot of other businesses have a think 25 policy, it literally takes two seconds to show your ID. No employee wants to risk being slapped with a disciplinary, a fine or a possible court appearance.
Original post by roadkillzebra
My store and a lot of other businesses have a think 25 policy, it literally takes two seconds to show your ID. No employee wants to risk being slapped with a disciplinary, a fine or a possible court appearance.

Exactly! I actually hate asking when I know they're above 21, but its just something which has to be done.
Original post by Stevo112
"if your horse comes in the top 4 then you win"

EZ PZ :cool:

"Okay, but why does my bet cost twice as much for each-way than for a win?" :wink:
Reply 4865
Original post by Emma:-)
Is there anyone on the student room who works in a shop, supermarket, restaurant etc and had really annoying customers.

I work in mcdonalds and we have had our fair share. One threatened to throw a brick with a bacon and egg mcmuffin selotaped to it through the window because he had apparently had a burnt one in the past and apparently the one he had on this occasion was burnt too (it wasnt at all) He never did throw it through the window.

I know exactly what you mean.

I work in a supermarket, they're like Asda except not as cheap and our uniform is blue, lets call it, Resco...

The customers, for the most part, are normally dead on :smile: but you get the occasional odd-ball.

There are a few things that really get me fuming at work, lol!

1) Customers who arrive in the shop to do all their groceries 5 minutes before closing time.
2) Customers who, when asked if they have bags, reply "Yes I need bags"...that's not what I asked!
3) Customers who arrive in and there is like a family of say 4...A mum, dad and two kids. The mum starts to empty the trolley and leaves to pack the bags, the two kids who btw are too small to reach the items at the bottem of the trolley try to empty it out, and the dad, just stands there doing nothing, cos hes the one with the money...makes everything soooo sloowwww. (He should help)
(edited 12 years ago)
hate the school holidays. so many kids everywhere - running around, screaming and just generally getting in the way. i know alot of parents dont have a choice but to take the kids shopping with them but PLEASE control them? there have been so many times where I've been pushing a stack or cage as carefully as I can across the shopfloor and a little kid will coming running at full pelt into my path. we all know who'd be getting the blame if one of the little brats got hurt.
Original post by ForeverOptimistic
"Okay, but why does my bet cost twice as much for each-way than for a win?" :wink:

"because you have to pay for my wages"
Our store has two doors at the front, one is the large main entrance and the other is a smaller exit only door. The smaller door's broken at the moment and we're waiting for the engineer to come out and fix it, until then we've just been informing the customers that the door is broken. In addition to that there's a barrier in front of the door and three signs saying out of order.

A woman comes through my checkout talking on her phone.

Me: Excuse me, just to inform you the smaller doors *points* are out of order, you'll have to use the main doors, sorry for the inconvenience.

She looks over to where I'm pointing and nods so I assume she's heard me.

I put her shopping through and she leaves and goes straight for the out of order doors, ignoring the signs and the barrier and two of my colleagues who told her it was out of order. She then comes barging back to my till and complains that I didn't tell her, interrupting my conversation with another customer. -_-

All I can do is tell her that I'm sorry she didn't hear me because she was on her phone the entire time.
I had a few annoying customers today which resulted in calling the police :tongue:
I had a few annoying customers today which resulted in calling the police :tongue:

What happened?
Reply 4871

Original post by tehforum
What happened?

Exactly, you can't just keep us in suspense!
Original post by tehforum
What happened?

guy tried to short change me £20 on a £400 bet. Seeing as he wanted the slip asap before I could count the money i've become VERY suspicious, thinking he was trying to get a £20 discount on his bet (if your putting £400 on the nose of a horse then you are usually checking the amount 5 times prior to giving it to the cashier anyway!). So i've swiped the notes with the fake note pen and half have come up darker than the rest. Voided his bet. Legally I have to retain the money if it is fake, and I wasn't 100% so i've called the police and got them checked out. Was on my own at the time too. Didn't fancy holding £380 of fake notes when he was getting aggressive with me. Turns out the notes were fine, but had he just let me count the money without badgering me or had he paid the correct amount I wouldn't have had a reason to think I was getting done by this guy.

This is after being swore at by some customer because I Id'd him.... Customers trying to void their national bet and put it on the same horse because the price is bigger now.... customers smoking in the shop.... kids trying to enter the shop... ARRRGH
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Linzikins
We have a buy one get one half price offer every Christmas and I can guarantee that at least 5 customers a day will say........

"I don't understand"
Buy one get one half price, the cheapest item for half price

"So it's buy one get one free?"
No, the second item is half price.

"It says half price"
The ticket says Buy one get another one half price.

"So I get this one half price and this one half price?"
No, only one item is half price.

"I want this half price not that"
It's the cheapest item and that is the most expensive, you would have to buy something equally or more expensive
"but that's not right because then I am spending more"

All the toys are on the b1g1hp promotion...
"So is this toy on buy one get one half price?"

This item is buy one get one half price, is there anything else you would like?
"Okay i'll look.....half price?.....So how much would this be?" :facepalm:

I get this every year it drives me mad!

Okay so this offer has just come back on again today, so I mean this all over again!!! The confusion already started this morning and I am already impatient hahaha

To add to my list......

Returns are absolutely hideous!! Trying to explain to someone when they bring one item back that they only get half the price of the item is near impossible for them to comprehend. (They only paid half price for it!!!!)

I had a lady in today who brought back one item from this offer and wanted to buy two more, I explained that I will return to her £7.99 that she paid for her second item, then put her new items through. It came to £4.99. For some reason she was like don't "I get any money back on my card I spent £27.99?" I kept explaining over and over again that she had paid £20 for the item she was keeping on the receipt and then I had returned the £7.99 for her other item and exchanged that for her new clothes giving the remaining amount...All I got was so i've paid £27.99 and now i'm paying £4.99? Needless to say I couldn't get through to her and she ended up saying she would come back another day with both items from her receipt :s-smilie:
I work for broadband tech support at a call centre so I deal with annoying customers all day. Most of them think they know everything "My internet is slow!! Look! I click internet explorer and it takes 5 minutes to come up on the screen!" "er - three quarters of your screen is toolbars...... You have 30mb download - look, I just checked. Update/clean up your browser ffs." You also get the ones who harp on about how they could just change providers as if they're trying to BRIBE me into getting thier broadband up and running if there's a fault in the area or they need a technician... as if i just had a handy "on" button. When I worked at argos it was even worse, had one woman ranting at me for half an hour as one of the light bulbs she had recieved was damaged. She was clearly nuts and just kept shouting "Why do you need my name?? Am i a NINJA? Am i blacklisted?? Are the police after me am i a wanted criminal? No! I just want to take my night bulb to the shop and get it changed!!!!"
Reply 4875
I used to work at primark as a cashier, and I often used to bear the brunt of people being seemingly unable to see the big sign behind me saying 'Refunds are only accepted at customer services' :L. One woman even called me a cheeky bastard once and hurled a bag at me when she was dissatisfied with my folding.
another one - when you tell someone the price of something (that was clearly marked anyway) and if it's expensive they moan and shout at you as if yo decide the price. I try to tell them I'm just selling it not chosing the prices but they never listen!
Original post by MissLightyear
another one - when you tell someone the price of something (that was clearly marked anyway) and if it's expensive they moan and shout at you as if yo decide the price. I try to tell them I'm just selling it not chosing the prices but they never listen!

You've not learned a valuable lesson my young padawan!

Never argue with a customer in retail. Always get someone on a higher pay grade to listen to their moans.

Less stress and you get on with what you're doing.
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
You've not learned a valuable lesson my young padawan!

Never argue with a customer in retail. Always get someone on a higher pay grade to listen to their moans.

Less stress and you get on with what you're doing.

I know, I try to say it in a nice way but Im not sure whether it comes across as that! Its hard when youre on minimum wage and you know the customer was just looking for something to moan at you for.
Had a poor lady today who lost her coat. After much searching and slight annoyance, we discover she has dementia and really can't remember where she put it, not had a moment of absent mindedness. Really hope I didn't come across as annoyed before I found out. It's not her fault...

Latest

Trending

Trending