The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8360
Original post by jam277
I've not even said anything about this. I've always said that this season has been terrible, I didn't even celebrate the fa cup win because it means **** all if we're not in the champions league and that's how this argument started in the first place, because he said I should celebrate winning a trophy that's meaningless due to how **** our season has gone, it's like birmingham city celebrating the league cup last year after getting relegated.

What does this have to do with what you quoted? Yeah we've had a terrible season just like liverpool have, surely liverpool making 5th place would have been better progress than a carling cup and mid table? Seeing as their previous seasons were 7th and 6th place?

lol. Im really happy that we won the FA cup this season, and cosider it an improvement on last season. We've brought in some great players (cahill, mata, meireles, romeu), and reached the final of the champions league. Not to mention the incredible games against napoli and barca, which imo were each equivalent to winning a mini cup. Infact, i think those 2 victories can compensate for all the **** under avb.

Not finishing <= 4th is not as bad as they make it out to be. we dont need the cash, and having been in the final we will continue to attract top players (new stadium on the way prolly as well). playing in the europa league will be no less entertaining to watch after the group stages.

With our current team, and any summer signinings we will have no problem competing at the top level next season.
Original post by lifeshard

Oh yes because when I said aging players I meant Cech? Cech is 30 and that's young for a goalkeeper. It's safe to say he didn't have a great season last year but he's stepped it up this year (especially the last few months like most of the Chelsea players) and his save was :O.

I know 30 is young for a goal keeper. That's my point.

You didn't say ageing players. You said "all their best players are past their best and the rest aren't that good". I take Cech as being one of their best players and don't think he's past his best, even if he isn't setting the awesome records of 2004 - 2005 (this is down to a number of factors, not just Cech's own form).
Original post by Stirlo
I think so yeh from the few times I've seen him play for Bologna. He's only 21 and is Uruguayan too so would have a partnership with Suarez. He isn't an out and out winger, I'd say he was similar to Maxi. But he definitely looks very good and still has loads of time to improve further.

What does that even mean?
Reply 8364
Original post by So Instinct

It means that he was born to play on the wing, and sticks to the line. Basically he doesn't normally drift infield. Normally they can dribble, and put in good crosses. Something LFC have been lacking since Barnes and co.

EDIT: Sorry I explained it wrong. If he is an out and out winger, then he is what I just explained.

If he isn't then it is the opposite. ie he drifts in alot
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct

Mean's he not a wide midfield player who hugs the touchline and aims to cross the ball in.
Reply 8366
Does anybody know what is happening with our stadium plans?
Original post by Strangeclouds
With Gerrard's injury record and Lucas only coming back after a long time out, I think it's probably best to sell Adam and buy a versatile midfielder.

That could be difficult depending on how long he's injured for...
Photo doing the rounds on twitter of Lucas running at Melwood. I almost let out a little squeak of joy.

https://twitter.com/#!/LiverpooIFCNews/status/199601905327030272/photo/1/large
Original post by The Baron
Photo doing the rounds on twitter of Lucas running at Melwood. I almost let out a little squeak of joy.

https://twitter.com/#!/LiverpooIFCNews/status/199601905327030272/photo/1/large

Tbh even after Lucas comes back from injury:

1) There are no guarantees how he will recover (see Eduardo/Ramsey after long term injuries)
2) He still needs a decent partner in midfield
Original post by Zerforax

1) There are no guarantees how he will recover (see Eduardo/Ramsey after long term injuries)
2) He still needs a decent partner in midfield

Only agree with Eduardo. People go on about Ramsey as though he was already better than Fabregas before his injury. He was a good player before and still is now. It's just a fallacy that he's not as good as he was before his injury.
Original post by Deshi

We definitely do, I just couldn't think of anyone atm. Enrique needs some competition as well.

N

I'm torn on this one, because although I feel competition there is needed, another player would inevitably block Robinson from gaining experience. Same when buying wingers do we buy one less than we need and hope Sterling steps up, or do we buy one extra that severely limits his game time and growth.
Reply 8372

Especially with knee injuries, they do say with knees once they pop they don't stop. (I've dislocated mine twice and torn my ACL). Hopefully his surgery fixed it for him. Demba Ba is a good example of how bad knee injuries can get, I think if his goes again that's his career over?
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Only agree with Eduardo. People go on about Ramsey as though he was already better than Fabregas before his injury. He was a good player before and still is now. It's just a fallacy that he's not as good as he was before his injury.

Probably a fair point, I don't watch Arsenal that much now. Either way, any long term injury can be a massive risk. Imo he'll be fine because he doesn't rely on his pace etc so it shouldn't impact his game massively.

Original post by Stirlo
Especially with knee injuries, they do say with knees once they pop they don't stop. (I've dislocated mine twice and torn my ACL). Hopefully his surgery fixed it for him. Demba Ba is a good example of how bad knee injuries can get, I think if his goes again that's his career over?

Don't say that! Now I feel we should wrap him in cotton wool all the time :colondollar: Tbh the club have been very careful with him. He probably could've been back sooner but we're obviously going to give him an entire summer of pre-season/training etc to get up to speed and then be ready for the new season.
Reply 8374
I don't like how all the clubs are getting their business done early. M'Vila and Podolski to Arsenal, Marin to Chelsea and apparently Hazard to City already. I hope our scouts know what they're doing. I really don't want us to wait till the last minute for the best of the rest and get ****ed over with the price of the transfers as well.
Original post by Torrresss
I'm torn on this one, because although I feel competition there is needed, another player would inevitably block Robinson from gaining experience. Same when buying wingers do we buy one less than we need and hope Sterling steps up, or do we buy one extra that severely limits his game time and growth.

Robinson is still 18 years old. He hasn't finished growing, he hasn't starting bulking out as guys do as they get older. Physically, he is years away from being ready to play regularly in the premier league.

I'd rather get either a promising LB or a seasoned leftback to act as a back up/stop gap until Robinson is ready. We've seen Flanagan get some games, despite having Johnson and Kelly ahead of him, no reason why we can't have the same for LB.

The best way to bring youth into the team is to blend them into a successful team. We've never going to throw our youngsters in when there is pressure on results (which is where we currently are).

If Enrique gets a serious injury next season, we'd either be relying on a right footed Johnson (who's our best RB), Agger out of position, Wilson out of position, or an 18 year old (who imo won't be ready).

Why do that when we can spend say 2-5mil on a LB who's got more experience and is physically ready.

The youth should only get into the side when they prove they are good enough, and having more competition shouldn't stop them from proving that. If anything, it proves they aren't ready or good enough.

Plus I think Enrique is overrated.
Reply 8376
Original post by kuks
I don't like how all the clubs are getting their business done early. M'Vila and Podolski to Arsenal, Marin to Chelsea and apparently Hazard to City already. I hope our scouts know what they're doing. I really don't want us to wait till the last minute for the best of the rest and get ****ed over with the price of the transfers as well.

We have to sort out the manager situation as soon as the season ends, and try to at least bid for someone before the Euros if they are European and are playing in it. But without a clear view on who is going to be our manager, I'll highly doubt our owners would want to spend. Even we need a DoF too.
Original post by kuks

Tbh, even if we were in the market for any of those players listed, as soon as those respective clubs who have allegedly signed them came in, we would've lost out on the signature.

All 3 of those clubs can offer CL football, which we can't. All are promising youngsters who want CL football.

Think we've got to be realistic about our strength in the transfer market. We're going to miss out on a lot of targets.
Original post by mr tim
We have to sort out the manager situation as soon as the season ends, and try to at least bid for someone before the Euros if they are European and are playing in it. But without a clear view on who is going to be our manager, I'll highly doubt our owners would want to spend. Even we need a DoF too.

The handshake snub is a massive turning point imo. Let's hope things are resolved sooner rather than later..
Reply 8379
Tbh, even if we were in the market for any of those players listed, as soon as those respective clubs who have allegedly signed them came in, we would've lost out on the signature.

All 3 of those clubs can offer CL football, which we can't. All are promising youngsters who want CL football.

Think we've got to be realistic about our strength in the transfer market. We're going to miss out on a lot of targets.

That's why I want us to do the deals early. Before other clubs come in and steal them. We can match transfer prices and wages. We just need to "sell our project" to them.