The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE music 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Flynni
name two of the folk insturments in the skye waulking song?

fiddle and uilleann pipes :smile:

Which instrument is used in all three versions of Rag Desh?
Reply 61
Original post by lizz-ie
sustain!

In chopin, the music modulates from Db major to C# minor. What is this new key called in relation to the original key?

Enharmonic tonic minor?
Reply 62
Original post by lizz-ie
fiddle and uilleann pipes :smile:

Which instrument is used in all three versions of Rag Desh?

Tabla!
Reply 63
Original post by Flynni
The trumpet is muted in the head? the piano comps the cords during the solos, also uses chord voicing which is changing the order of the notes in the chords. Drum kit uses brushes in the intro, snare drum plays syncopated pattern adn cymbals keep the beat :smile: If that's what you meant?

(sorry if someone posts before me, my computer's slow and doesn't bring stuff up when i refresh)

Yeah :smile: and the bass plays pizzicato throughout + piano plays a tremolo at the start
Reply 64
Two features of classical music?
Reply 65
Original post by marcotam

expansion of the orchestra, and string quartets, etc began to become more common.
the harpsichord is replaced by the piano which was invented by christofori in the 18th century
major/minor system replaced the old one of modes
Structure became more a part of music: binary, ternary, rondo, sonata form

What year were the samples used in Moby recorded, and by what choir?
Original post by marcotam

Greater use of the woodwind section although the main tune is still mostly in the strings
Greater use of crescendos and diminuendos instead of terraced dynamics

How is the feeling of excitment and anticipation created in something's coming?

Oops somebody got there before me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lizz-ie
expansion of the orchestra, and string quartets, etc began to become more common.
the harpsichord is replaced by the piano which was invented by christofori in the 18th century

The shining light gospel choir in 1953. See above for my question.
Reply 68
Original post by gmseahorse

How is the feeling of excitment and anticipation created in something's coming?

Push rhythmsssssssss!
Reply 69
Original post by lizz-ie

A 1953 gospel choir?
Original post by lizz-ie
Push rhythmsssssssss!

New Question.... :smile:
Reply 71
Does anyone know what the essay questions were for last years exam?
Original post by SJWest
Does anyone know what the essay questions were for last years exam?

Chopin and Buckley.
Reply 73
Goodluck to you guys!
I did this exam last year and got an A, I hope it all goes well for you, if you have any questions, I'll see if I can help :smile:

I answered the Chopin question as I had more to write about it. Annoyed me a bit that I had learnt an entire new language for Rag Desh. I hope some of you have heard of the Rhinegold revision guide, I think that was the best one for this course, although new ones have probably come out by now.
Original post by Mollymod
Goodluck to you guys!
I did this exam last year and got an A, I hope it all goes well for you, if you have any questions, I'll see if I can help :smile:

I answered the Chopin question as I had more to write about it. Annoyed me a bit that I had learnt an entire new language for Rag Desh. I hope some of you have heard of the Rhinegold revision guide, I think that was the best one for this course, although new ones have probably come out by now.

Awh thank you and congratulations on your result! I have to agree on that; I haven't got the guide myself but my friend has and I thought it was so good. :smile:
Reply 75
I never bought it actually. The trouble with subjects like music is that each revision guide will say different things. For example, the CGP guide last year said something like "Electric Counterpoint is in D Minor", yet other revision guides would say it was in C Minor, or E Minor. The same thing happened with Grace. My teachers ran an intensive revision session one Saturday morning, it was very helpful and they gave us a 14-page booklet with each set work condensed to the main points under subtitles of 'Harmony' 'Melody' 'Rhythm' etc. Understanding pieces of music under those headings has actually proved helpful for my Music Technology A Level which I have an exam for in a few weeks.

There's a lot of conflicting reports, so it's important to get a guide that agrees with at least 2 other sources, and there's no harm in speaking to teachers for help! Think about it yourself though, does it sound Major? Does it sound Minor? Also, it's helpful to learn the chord sequences for songs like All Blues and Moby's one. They like to ask questions on that.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Medical-al
Oh for those who are not sure of the UMS marks for this exam, and want to achieve a good grade, the points go like this...

Max. 120.
A*: 108/120
A: 96/120
So on...

Do you know the ums grade boundaries for composition and performance? I got 60/60 and 59/60, what would they be? Do you know what ums is required for an a*? Good luck everyone in the exam on monday!
Original post by ColUWill
Well, there's only been one real paper that has been sat (July 2011), and it had all three of those pieces in. Notably absent from it however was Chopin's Prelude, Electric Counterpoint, Grace and Rag Desh, only in the first 8 questions though. I don't think revising some more than others is a good tactic, because we just don't know what'll come up, however those 4 are probable, keep that in mind.

But, there have been 5 papers written by the same person every time and this year is going to be written by the same! The Sample Paper, 2011, and 3 official practice papers (A,B and C)! Just saying! I'm not relying on them. I'm just making sure I know them a lot! We don't know what's coming up but that could be an idea.
Reply 78
Original post by VTZLifeForever
Do you know the ums grade boundaries for composition and performance? I got 60/60 and 59/60, what would they be? Do you know what ums is required for an a*? Good luck everyone in the exam on monday!

A* is 56/60 raw marks for performance.
A* is 54/60 raw marks for composition.
Both are 81/90 UMS for A*.
The whole qualification is out of 300, and you need 270 UMS overall for A*.
Your marks are amazing! I got 58 for performance and 54 for composition. :smile: May I ask what grade you are on whatever instrument you played? Oh and what did you play for your performances?
Reply 79
Original post by belladalton
But, there have been 5 papers written by the same person every time and this year is going to be written by the same! The Sample Paper, 2011, and 3 official practice papers (A,B and C)! Just saying! I'm not relying on them. I'm just making sure I know them a lot! We don't know what's coming up but that could be an idea.

The paper is going to be written by Jonny Martin. However I don't think he was the one who wrote the practise papers, it was just the same company that did the anthologies. Also, the practise papers are a LOT harder than the specimen and 2011 papers.

Quick Reply