The Student Room Group

Actuarial science questions

I would really like to do a course in actuarial science... I don't mind being in an office and I would say money is important to me! I have 7 As and 5 A*s at GCSE and in my January modules for AS I got 97% in C1 maths, 92% in M1 maths, 99% in Technology and design, 82% in chemistry and 88% in physics. I will be doing further maths at AS next year. I hope to get at least 4 As (possibly an A*) at A level and An A at AS in FM. Is this good enough?
Also what work experience would I need? I have a good list of extra curricular activities, I've won a lot of awards for a umber of things, especially science competitions, which obviously involve maths. Where is the best university to go to to study Actuarial science?

Finally, is it true that most actuaries have starting salaries of £40000?

Thanks,
Paul :smile:
Original post by projectile
I would really like to do a course in actuarial science... I don't mind being in an office and I would say money is important to me! I have 7 As and 5 A*s at GCSE and in my January modules for AS I got 97% in C1 maths, 92% in M1 maths, 99% in Technology and design, 82% in chemistry and 88% in physics. I will be doing further maths at AS next year. I hope to get at least 4 As (possibly an A*) at A level and An A at AS in FM. Is this good enough?
Also what work experience would I need? I have a good list of extra curricular activities, I've won a lot of awards for a umber of things, especially science competitions, which obviously involve maths. Where is the best university to go to to study Actuarial science?

Finally, is it true that most actuaries have starting salaries of £40000?

Thanks,
Paul :smile:

look at the requirements yourself on university pages, they can tell you more on their own grade requirements than people on TSR as they can change over a space of a few years. if you gets A's and B's you'll be fine really to get in, they wont take into account if you get 90% here or there, its irrelevant, and mostly is for most degrees one applies for.

It might help to reassure you if you wish to go into thr actuarial profession or not, thats the real only benefit. Most if not all applying for an actuarial degree dont need and dont have actuarial experience, working in any finance job for a day whatever it is will be enough, just show an interest and relate it to the degree.

Theres a good number of uni's these days

best? well the ones which stand up at the top are the likes of Warwick, LSE, Heriot Watt and Cass

others which are very good as well are Southampton, Leeds, Manchester, East Anglia and other ones such as Queens and Keele university.

NO..... not true, at the initial stages it can vary greatly on company and location, though generally the starting salary on average is low to mid 20 K, which gradually goes up with experience and each exam pass, a fully qualified actuary makes at least 50 K mind you
Reply 2
Can I take the actuary CT exams while I'm studying a degree in university? Do I have to register myself as a student member before I am eligible to take the exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending