The Student Room Group

I got an E grade on my GCSE math exam I NEED a D or C to get into college?

I'm desperate I can't study though, I don't know how or where to start. I'm applying for btec applied science level 3 (which is equivalent to an A level I'm sure) and I need at least D grades at English, maths and merit or distinction in btec level 2 science. All of that is fine, I've got my pass in english, all i need to do is complete merit work for science and get a D or above in maths...well like I said I got an E in the exams, and I have the retakes in a matter of basically a week (the exam is next monday) and I haven't revised at all I know it was incredibly dumb of me I can take all the insults thrown at me for being laidback, but I really need to get that D. HOW DO I REVISE? I have no clue how to revise or study. help please!
Coming from someone who A*ed Maths, you just need to sit down, and work through example questions and past papers; learn your basic formula's and learn how to use them. Look through worked examples and if you have any problems, work through alternate questions on that exercise. If you have any rules you don't know, then learn them, and make sure you can relate them to questions.
Sit down and do some pastpapers, look through the mark schemes to see where you went wrong and keep repeating that process
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks, but I've just realised I only have like 4 days to revise which is hardly enough. I guess I should just prepare for the next retakes, as I'm going to fail this one. Thanks anyway.
Original post by TammieNo5
Thanks, but I've just realised I only have like 4 days to revise which is hardly enough. I guess I should just prepare for the next retakes, as I'm going to fail this one. Thanks anyway.

Nonsense. I have my second year university maths exams in a week - if I can cram half a year's work into that time then so can you :smile:

Don't give up. You may as well put everything you have into these exams, as you have nothing to lose by trying. The key is not to panic. Start at the beginning, don't lose concentration, and just learn as much as you can. Feel free to PM me if you have questions (I may not reply for a day or so, but I'll be around on Sunday).

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Four days can be enough to get you from an E to a D. Just work on the past papers like the others said, however for the first one or two (assuming there are three/four past papers) do these as 'open book' exams, for practice - Keep the mark scheme/your notes with you and if you get stuck, look there and see what method is used, try to remember it, and continue. By the third past exam paper, you should be vaguely understanding at least a bit more than you started, so this is where you pretend it is an actual exam. Also, work between 60-90 minutes between breaks, and don't allow yourself to knock any amount of time off this, once you have decided. I hope this helps.
Matt - First year maths - University Undergraduate
Reply 6
examsolutions.co.uk

he has some videos for GCSE's on there... But most likley you wont need all of them, so don't freak out when you see the list, but if you have a specific topic you want to learn more on it will help
Reply 7
maybe try mymaths, i hear they have some good 'grade booster' which may be of use to you?
:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Octohedral
Nonsense. I have my second year university maths exams in a week - if I can cram half a year's work into that time then so can you :smile:

Don't give up. You may as well put everything you have into these exams, as you have nothing to lose by trying. The key is not to panic. Start at the beginning, don't lose concentration, and just learn as much as you can. Feel free to PM me if you have questions (I may not reply for a day or so, but I'll be around on Sunday).

Good luck :smile:

Thank you, the exam is basically tomorrow and I'm ****ting it!
I'm going to have to dedicate the whole of sunday to maths revision. Thanks for the motivation everyone.
Reply 9
I lol'ed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
WOW OP. If you can't achieve at least a C in GCSE maths you might as well end it all now. The future will hold nothing but misery for you.
Reply 11
Re-takes?
use the Mathswatch CD?
Reply 13
MathsWatch. I'd say I got at least a grade more than I would have got without using it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Is it possible to organise some one on one sessions with your maths teacher? I did this and took my exam today and found i could do about 50% more of the paper!
It was ridiculous how much it helped, i really recommend it!
Also ask for some past papers, even if its in a few days they will really help i swear! :smile:
Really cannot believe people these days. What stopped you revising sooner? I'm getting A-A*'s in Math but only because I revise so much, really its not just going to come at you.
Reply 16
Original post by chiligrinder
Coming from someone who A*ed Maths, you just need to sit down, and work through example questions and past papers; learn your basic formula's and learn how to use them. Look through worked examples and if you have any problems, work through alternate questions on that exercise. If you have any rules you don't know, then learn them, and make sure you can relate them to questions.

This is really the only way... Past Papers are the crux of Maths successes...
Take a deep breath.. you've still got time to get a D ... For every few past papers, you'll get an extra grade in theory...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I know I'm not an amazing example but I had the exam today with only the previous night for revision, oh ****. You've done it already, might as well stop now
Reply 18
Just do as many past papers as you can! I began my revision for Maths a week before the exam, which I took in March and got an A as a final grade :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending