The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Physics at Glasgow

Anyone else doing doing any physics courses at Glasgow University this year. Would be good to get talking to some people before we actually go

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to Glasgow for physics this year. Getting quite excited for it already!

Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by LynneEss
I'm going to Glasgow for physics this year. Getting quite excited for it already!

I'm looking forward to starting too. I did AH maths and physics this year so I already know a fair bit of the course but looking forward to some of the harder stuff. Are you doing normal physics or a special type i.e theoretical or astrophysics ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I've just sat my ah maths and physics this year too. And ah chemistry which was pretty horrible :/ I'm down as doing just plain old physics for now but I might change to astrophysics later once I try it.

Reply 4
Nice, I did ah maths, physics and graphics cause I wanted to go into engineering but my friends coming out of it can't get jobs even someone leaving imperial college so I bailed on it and am doing theoretical physics instead. I made this thread cause I though it would be good to talk to people before starting, coming from the most violent school in Scotland not many other people in my year are going to uni lol. So hey :smile: how are you

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I always thought I would do chemistry or chemical physics but after ah chemistry I realised that physics was way better!
I only know a few people doing physics at Strathclyde but no one at Glasgow.
Wow. Most violent school? :O The worst I've ever seen at my school was someone getting their nose broken....
I'm quite good thanks :P yourself? Enjoying your summer holiday?

Reply 6
I want to do ah chemistry but I was the only person that picked it so my school didn't run it. I know a few people going to do physics at strathclyde too but I think Glasgow is better for it considering how low strathclyde put there entry requirement this year compared to Glasgow ( ABCC versus AAABB). Yeah it was pretty bad, I remember one time I was sitting in techy doing my cad project to see one guy throw a chisel at someone point blank and the other person responded by picking up a hammer and properly going for it. Not to mention the weekly fights and threats to 'smash someones **** in' every two minutes lol. I'm great thank :smile: my holidays have been pretty boring so far, yours? Btw do you know what date it is we start cause I can't find it anywhere

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm planning on going to Glasgow for Physics 2013 Entry - Anyone got anything to recommend on getting in? Y'know what'd be really cool, if you guys/gals could tell me what grades you got and any Extra Curricular stuff you did to get in? ^.^ If it's not too nosey >.<
Reply 8
Original post by IsaacJ
I'm planning on going to Glasgow for Physics 2013 Entry - Anyone got anything to recommend on getting in? Y'know what'd be really cool, if you guys/gals could tell me what grades you got and any Extra Curricular stuff you did to get in? ^.^ If it's not too nosey >.<

Highers : AAAAB ( damn you 69% in chemistry!!)
Ah : Predicted AAB

As for extra curricular: School house captain, part of a young co-op, charity work for fair-trade, helped out in my schools autism unit, duke of Edinburgh and millenium volunteer stuff (award for the time I spent with the co-op and AU). Thats about it really. Also talked a bit about some work experience in a biochemistry lab and some of the outdoor sports I do, I'm not very fit but I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky lol.

Basically just sell yourself as best you can and say you are things not that you think you are things

Reply 9
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
I want to do ah chemistry but I was the only person that picked it so my school didn't run it. I know a few people going to do physics at strathclyde too but I think Glasgow is better for it considering how low strathclyde put there entry requirement this year compared to Glasgow ( ABCC versus AAABB). Yeah it was pretty bad, I remember one time I was sitting in techy doing my cad project to see one guy throw a chisel at someone point blank and the other person responded by picking up a hammer and properly going for it. Not to mention the weekly fights and threats to 'smash someones **** in' every two minutes lol. I'm great thank :smile: my holidays have been pretty boring so far, yours? Btw do you know what date it is we start cause I can't find it anywhere

Yeah I looked up some university rankings before I applied and Glasgow was definitely ranked higher than Strathclyde. And I didn't like Strathclyde all that much at the open days either.
I got an email a few weeks ago saying basically that freshers week starts on Monday 10th September and the semester starts on the 17th.
Wow, what school did you go to if you don't mind me asking?
My holidays have been okay so far. Nothing too exciting :P except for seeing some good movies.

Reply 10
Yeah I looked up some university rankings before I applied and Glasgow was definitely ranked higher than Strathclyde. And I didn't like Strathclyde all that much at the open days either.
I got an email a few weeks ago saying basically that freshers week starts on Monday 10th September and the semester starts on the 17th.
Wow, what school did you go to if you don't mind me asking?
My holidays have been okay so far. Nothing too exciting :P except for seeing some good movies.

Yeah same, and from what I've heard from people there it's not that good. Ha I didnt get that email lol but ucas keeps sending my emails about student accommodation about 15 mins from my house, yeah I think I'll stay at home thanks. I went to Hillpark Secondary, its had some absolute geniuses ( a guy who's lowest AH Mark was 96%) and a sh*t ton of neds. Yeah there have been some pretty good movies, The Avengers, Iron Skies and Chernobyl diaries are the stand outs for me so far ( was really disappointed in prometheus as I love the alien series), but I'm mostly looking forward to The Darkknight Rises

Reply 11
Original post by IsaacJ

I got AAAAB for my highers. Had to get a tutor to even get a B in English though :L
I did some work experience in Glasgow uni's chemistry department; volunteered for Renfrewshire council & for Glasgow humane society; helped a new first year at my school; played/coached/refereed basketball.
As long as it seems like you have an interest in physics as well as other stuff you should pretty much seem like an okay person in your personal statement.
If you get the grades to do it & can go somewhere that offers it then I would recommend taking advanced higher physics cos it means that you'll have a lot more of the skills you're gonna need for physics at uni :smile:

Yeah same, and from what I've heard from people there it's not that good. Ha I didnt get that email lol but ucas keeps sending my emails about student accommodation about 15 mins from my house, yeah I think I'll stay at home thanks. I went to Hillpark Secondary, its had some absolute geniuses ( a guy who's lowest AH Mark was 96%) and a sh*t ton of neds. Yeah there have been some pretty good movies, The Avengers, Iron Skies and Chernobyl diaries are the stand outs for me so far ( was really disappointed in prometheus as I love the alien series), but I'm mostly looking forward to The Darkknight Rises

Good lord! :gasp: I'm not from Glasgow but instead Edinburgh and in my high school a guy got 98% for his AH Maths prelim :eek: He sure did beat my 3 in Standard Grade Maths :colondollar: Personally I didn't do Maths, Physics or anything of that sort; instead, I did AH English, History and Spanish as well as Higher French, RMPS and Modern Studies. On with essays and languages! :france:

I applied to Glasgow as well so I would be seeing you guys had I not been rejected :rolleyes: :cry: It was my first choice :frown: I'll be going to Edinburgh Uni though. Did you guys intend to stay in the same city for university? :smile: Or is that how things just turned out? :fluffy:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13

I think I was pretty lucky with my school when it came to neds. We definitely had them but not that many and only a few were proper hardcore ***holes lol.
The Avengers has definitely been the best movie this year :biggrin: men in black 3 was a laugh but in a good way :wink: and I just saw the amazing spiderman the other day & it is so my better than the last spidey movies!
I wish my ah marks we're that good O.o I don't know about you but I was a bit too overconfident after my highers and I ended up not doing as well as I could have at AH :frown:

Reply 14
Original post by Quick-use
Good lord! :gasp: I'm not from Glasgow but instead Edinburgh and in my high school a guy got 98% for his AH Maths prelim :eek: He sure did beat my 3 in Standard Grade Maths :colondollar: Personally I didn't do Maths, Physics or anything of that sort; instead, I did AH English, History and Spanish as well as Higher French, RMPS and Modern Studies. On with essays and languages! :france:

I applied to Glasgow as well so I would be seeing you guys had I not been rejected :rolleyes: :cry: It was my first choice :frown: I'll be going to Edinburgh Uni though. Did you guys intend to stay in the same city for university? :smile: Or is that how things just turned out? :fluffy:

This guy got 98% for physics, 98% for maths and 96% for computing cause he mucked up his program at the last minute. He turned down a full scholarship at Cambridge too lol as he "could be bothered with posh English *****". I wanted to go to Glasgow cause in the future I hope to get a job at CERN and their uk base for ATLAS, plus they do a lot of Gravitation research which is another field I kinda want to get into, is at Glasgow but if it had been somewhere else I would have applied there. AH English must have been a killer, I thought higher was bad (I somehow got a band 1 by writing the biggest load of sh*t ever) and if I was to rate my skills in spanish let's just say it's probably a negative value...

Reply 15
Original post by Quick-use

I got the fourth best mark in my class for my first ah maths prelim and it was only 50% :O it was the most incredibly difficult exam I've ever sat... And one guy still managed to get just under 80% which is actually kinda weird cos I think I almost beat him in the second prelim :s-smilie:
I was really lucky that the highers I chose had no essays! :biggrin: apart from english of course :frown: I ended up doing higher computing, maths, chemistry an physics too.

I applied to St Andrew's too and I got accepted but I chose Glasgow anyways. Mostly because it was a lot of travelling from where I live and the accommodation wasn't exactly cheap. They've just had like a couple of million pound refurbishment but I felt it would be too much to start at a new uni in a town I barely knew, knowing absolutely no one else :frown:

Reply 16
This guy got 98% for physics, 98% for maths and 96% for computing cause he mucked up his program at the last minute. He turned down a full scholarship at Cambridge too lol as he "could be bothered with posh English *****". I wanted to go to Glasgow cause in the future I hope to get a job at CERN and their uk base for ATLAS, plus they do a lot of Gravitation research which is another field I kinda want to get into, is at Glasgow but if it had been somewhere else I would have applied there. AH English must have been a killer, I thought higher was bad (I somehow got a band 1 by writing the biggest load of sh*t ever) and if I was to rate my skills in spanish let's just say it's probably a negative value...

All the research at Glasgow is another why I chose to go there :smile: they've got so many research groups and most of them sound really interesting!! I kinda want to work at CERN too but someone pointed out to me that most of their funding is probably gonna at some point because of the economy etc so I might chose to research something that is more likely to continue. Cos if you think about it, running the LHC and all the monitors and staff etc is definitely not cheap! O.o
My higher chemistry teacher's husband works in the ATLAS research group at Glasgow and I got a nice wee tour around the building with him :wink:
It's incredible that someone can get those kind of marks at AH!! What's he going to do after school?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I think I was pretty lucky with my school when it came to neds. We definitely had them but not that many and only a few were proper hardcore ***holes lol.
The Avengers has definitely been the best movie this year :biggrin: men in black 3 was a laugh but in a good way :wink: and I just saw the amazing spiderman the other day & it is so my better than the last spidey movies!
I wish my ah marks we're that good O.o I don't know about you but I was a bit too overconfident after my highers and I ended up not doing as well as I could have at AH :frown:

Hmmm I think Cabin in the Woods and Iron Skies are my favourites this year, I was a bit disappointed in MIB3 cause I guessed the ending about halve way through and was completely right ( not very good in a film ) however The Pact has got to be worst film this year, it is absolute drivel. Ive not seen the New spiderman movie yet, but anything is better than the last ones ( personally I'm a DC man but there are a few Marvel character I like). As for AH I think I could have done better in maths but I've definitely got an A in graphics ( I went into the exam only needing 26 out of 80 cause of my projects) and an A physics. Soooo....any plans for the rest of your holidays

Reply 18
I got the fourth best mark in my class for my first ah maths prelim and it was only 50% :O it was the most incredibly difficult exam I've ever sat... And one guy still managed to get just under 80% which is actually kinda weird cos I think I almost beat him in the second prelim :s-smilie:
I was really lucky that the highers I chose had no essays! :biggrin: apart from english of course :frown: I ended up doing higher computing, maths, chemistry an physics too.

I applied to St Andrew's too and I got accepted but I chose Glasgow anyways. Mostly because it was a lot of travelling from where I live and the accommodation wasn't exactly cheap. They've just had like a couple of million pound refurbishment but I felt it would be too much to start at a new uni in a town I barely knew, knowing absolutely no one else :frown:

Mate you didn't sit my maths prelim, even the teachers struggled with it, put it this way there was a proof by contradiction that involved integration by parts. I got accepted to St. Andrews too but bailed at how much it would cost just to live there, the fact I didn't know anyone didnt bother me.

Reply 19
All the research at Glasgow is another why I chose to go there :smile: they've got so many research groups and most of them sound really interesting!! I kinda want to work at CERN too but someone pointed out to me that most of their funding is probably gonna at some point because of the economy etc so I might chose to research something that is more likely to continue. Cos if you think about it, running the LHC and all the monitors and staff etc is definitely not cheap! O.o
My higher chemistry teacher's husband works in the ATLAS research group at Glasgow and I got a nice wee tour around the building with him :wink:
It's incredible that someone can get those kind of marks at AH!! What's he going to do after school?

He was in the year above me and he went to St. Andrews ( he turned down a full scholarship at Cambridge ) to study maths but he only wants to become a maths teacher lol

Quick Reply

Latest