The Student Room Group

changing sanitary products, no proper bin

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madders94
Only in 7/10 cases. I'm about to change off the POP because it's made mine heavier and more painful :s-smilie:

Aww *hugs*
It's all about finding what works for you though really.
Original post by siani-chan
http://www.water.org.uk/home/resources-and-links/bagandbin

I'm sorry, but it annoyed me finding out that people flush tampons - I have never ever done this, nor do I know anyone who does this. Wasn't everyone taught to when we were growing up? No? :s-smilie: :redface:

Anyway: we don't have bins in the bathrooms at uni (probably because we're all too damn lazy and don't want to take responsibility for cleaning them if they get dirty) so we just use our own bins in our own rooms.

At home we have bin in the upstairs bathrooms but not the downstairs one. I wasn't particularly aware it was common to have a bin in the bathroom but it can be an inconvenience if there isn't one. If there isn't I'll just wrap the waste up and put it in my bag until there's a bin available. :smile:

(This post isn't an attack on people who flush tampons, I was just a little shocked by it. I am going to bed, goodnight all. :h:)

:lolwut: People try to flush food?
Reply 62
Original post by sarahthegemini
It's just emptying a bin :lolwut:

Emptying a bin containing someone else's sanitary products isn't nice, I had to do it when my flatmate went away and left the bin (that only she used) full and overflowing. I had to empty it because it stank out the bathroom. I actually considered being a dick and just moving into her room tbh.

Some people use them for loo rolls/packaging, so they would have to sort through it to recycle them.
Original post by Strawberrycayk
:lolwut: People try to flush food?

My nan flushes food! She's been doing it for years and I only found out recently :lol: Things like food waste from dinner plates which might make the house smell she'll just flush. It seems like a good idea on thinking about it?!
Original post by sammy-lou
My nan flushes food! She's been doing it for years and I only found out recently :lol: Things like food waste from dinner plates which might make the house smell she'll just flush. It seems like a good idea on thinking about it?!

Yikes noo o.O
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I used to have this problem, then the mooncup solved everything! No need to bin anything, no need to buy tampons/pads every month, and don't have to change as often. You also don't get that "dirty" feeling like you do with pads. I know you weren't asked for alternative protection but all the advice I would have given has been said, and the MC really is a great investment!

I've never heard of that before! Can you explain to me how it works? It sounds utterly disgusting to me. When it fills, what do you do with the blood? The idea of having to empty a cup full of menstrual blood (and all the bits you get with it) sounds horrific to me....
Reply 66
Original post by *Corinna*
I've never heard of that before! Can you explain to me how it works? It sounds utterly disgusting to me. When it fills, what do you do with the blood? The idea of having to empty a cup full of menstrual blood (and all the bits you get with it) sounds horrific to me....

exactly, am afraid of trying it, how do you get it in in the first place, how do you get it out, do you have to empty it into the toilet, :eek: do it hurt to put it in? how do you its in place, how do you know when its full, how do you go around with something called a cup inside you :confused: i cant even use a tampon without an apllicator, the thought of using my fingers to fit in a cup makes me cringe.:afraid::blush:

No more horrific than leaking blood into a pad in your knickers, surely? It's just a little cup that you insert and can leave for up to eight hours, rinse in between uses and wash properly at the end of your period. You can tip the blood into the toilet and then rinse it out into the sink, or wipe it with toilet roll if you're in a public toilet.

It's not to everyone's liking, but personally I wouldn't go back. Plus theres no link to TSS with the mooncup, and I always get a bit wary of tampons because of this. I'm far too heavy to even contemplate just using a pad.

EDIT: To answer some questions asked above here's a link to the website which explains all! http://www.mooncup.co.uk/
No more horrific than leaking blood into a pad in your knickers, surely? It's just a little cup that you insert and can leave for up to eight hours, rinse in between uses and wash properly at the end of your period. You can tip the blood into the toilet and then rinse it out into the sink, or wipe it with toilet roll if you're in a public toilet.

It's not to everyone's liking, but personally I wouldn't go back. Plus theres no link to TSS with the mooncup, and I always get a bit wary of tampons because of this. I'm far too heavy to even contemplate just using a pad.

EDIT: To answer some questions asked above here's a link to the website which explains all! http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

I don't use tampons either. Maybe it's just me but using a pad which you then remove without much contact with anything and you throw away seems much less disturbing to me than having to wash my period blood in the sink where my family washes their faces every morning.
I read a bit on line and it seems that it's a good solution for heavy flow. As I don't have this problem (pads are more than enough for me, I don't even use the x large sizes), I am trying to see if the moon cup would have any advantage...
Also, how do we know if the blood won't manage to flow through the cup-protected area? Since its a liquid, I'd imagine it would be able to flow past the rim of the cup...
I don't use tampons either. Maybe it's just me but using a pad which you then remove without much contact with anything and you throw away seems much less disturbing to me than having to wash my period blood in the sink where my family washes their faces every morning.
I read a bit on line and it seems that it's a good solution for heavy flow. As I don't have this problem (pads are more than enough for me, I don't even use the x large sizes), I am trying to see if the moon cup would have any advantage...
Also, how do we know if the blood won't manage to flow through the cup-protected area? Since its a liquid, I'd imagine it would be able to flow past the rim of the cup...

You shower and things don't you? Your blood would end up there too.. but yeah I know it's not the best though. Something us girls have to deal with sadly.

It won't leak because it has a sort of suction effect so there's no gap between the edge of the cup and the vaginal walls. I've never had a problem with leakage. If the cup gets full, the blood would build up internally rather than leak out.. which might be a little messy when emptying, but no problem if you emptied over the toilet. You'd have to be really heavy for it to fill though, as it holds the equivalent of 30% of the average woman's flow which would obviously be spread over at least 3 days.. so you'd have to leave it in for literally 24 hours to even think about overflowing. Which obviously you wouldn't want to do.
You shower and things don't you? Your blood would end up there too.. but yeah I know it's not the best though. Something us girls have to deal with sadly.

It won't leak because it has a sort of suction effect so there's no gap between the edge of the cup and the vaginal walls. I've never had a problem with leakage. If the cup gets full, the blood would build up internally rather than leak out.. which might be a little messy when emptying, but no problem if you emptied over the toilet. You'd have to be really heavy for it to fill though, as it holds the equivalent of 30% of the average woman's flow which would obviously be spread over at least 3 days.. so you'd have to leave it in for literally 24 hours to even think about overflowing. Which obviously you wouldn't want to do.

I think it's the idea of having to deal with so much blood stored together in one place that creeps me out, whereas with pads you don't realise how much blood is actually in there. I can see why it's comfortable for girls with heavy flow though. I will suggest it to friends with heavy periods though.
is there an issue with irritation and the mooncup? I tend to get a lot of problems with irritation from towels.
Reply 72
Aah, it's so good being on the pill!

It means I can kind of time my period so I'm not on when I'm at my boyfriend's/on holiday/going somewhere important. *amazing*
Original post by canŵio
Aah, it's so good being on the pill!

It means I can kind of time my period so I'm not on when I'm at my boyfriend's/on holiday/going somewhere important. *amazing*

But you are only allowed to change the dates (by skipping the free days etc) only once a year and generally it's discouraged.
Reply 74
But you are only allowed to change the dates (by skipping the free days etc) only once a year and generally it's discouraged.

not really... i can't miss out pills but if i've just finished a packet and i'm meant to be going on my 'period', i can choose to just start the next packet. and that's ok to do without any problems! i've never taken more than 2 packets in a row but it says on the packet that up to 3 is fine.

i don't know where you got once a year from, even my GP says it's perfectly fine!

I used to be on Microgynon and the instructions said if you were late with or missed a pill in the last week of a pack then you just took the next pack without stopping, so it is far from discouraged!
Reply 76
Original post by canŵio
not really... i can't miss out pills but if i've just finished a packet and i'm meant to be going on my 'period', i can choose to just start the next packet. and that's ok to do without any problems! i've never taken more than 2 packets in a row but it says on the packet that up to 3 is fine.

i don't know where you got once a year from, even my GP says it's perfectly fine!

Original post by minimarshmallow
I used to be on Microgynon and the instructions said if you were late with or missed a pill in the last week of a pack then you just took the next pack without stopping, so it is far from discouraged!

I think where the 'discouraged' thing is from is that, if you run packs together indefinitely you will eventually bleed anyway, and also running together can cause worse symptoms (eg. I get worse pains, heavier flow and a longer bleed when I run two packs together. A friend used to run all of hers together until she bleed anyway and had awful pains). So that, rather than it actually being unsafe or anything. I remember my doctor told me to try not to do it too often, just save it for holidays, birthdays etc.

I guess just because it's easier for your body to cope with less disruption. It's gonna get confused if you try and trick it for too long!

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Original post by canŵio

Nothing will immediately happen to you even if you keep doing it all the time. But generally it isn't good stopping your period on a regular basis as periods help us dispose of stuff our body doesn't need anymore.

Original post by minimarshmallow

Yeah, cause the other option might be pregnancy. It isn't discouraged to do it once in a while, but controlling your period by cutting it every time you visit your boyfriend's house is a bit too much. I can understand doing it once a year for vacation of course. Anyway, your body, your choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Mooncups aren't the only brand of menstural cup, and alternatives work better for some women. Personally, I don't get on with a Mooncup but I loved my MeLuna (til I killed it) and I have a Femmecup which is not as great as the MeLuna (for me) but loads better than a Mooncup. This site sells a range of brands and has lots of information.

Quick Reply

Latest